Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 5 « First<2345
Username Post: Pennsylvania Redux        (Topic#23799)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-10-20 10:31 PM - Post#296478    
    In response to welcometothejungle

So the Tigers will be no worse than 2-12 in conference. To avoid a repeat of last season's swoon after a good start, they will need to continue their effective rebounding and physical play, which probably means that they will need to beat up the non-Harvard, non-Yale competition with their superior size and strength. If they can keep up the smart decision-making on offense, reading the defense's reaction to off-ball movement and then either exploiting a mismatch or hitting the open man, they should get a lot of good shots from guys who can make them.

Jury's still out to me on whether this group can be effective on defense, although the last two games were pretty encouraging (even though MH ignored all my brilliant advice about mixing in some zone). They did a superb job on Betley and a good job on Brodeur (who scored a lot this game but not efficiently enough to overpower the Tigers and, as Welcome noted above, not enough to overcome the lack of easy baskets off his passes that they usually get). There was much better digging and swiping and pressuring the ball within the man-to-man concept, and I thought that some of the Penn missed outside shots were out of rhythm though open (luck was also involved here).

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-10-20 10:55 PM - Post#296484    
    In response to SRP

Tigers also had some success flashing a little full court press again. I’d like to see a little more of that strategy.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pennsylvania Redux
01-10-20 11:15 PM - Post#296486    
    In response to TigerFan

What an impressive SWEEP! Delighted to see the guys undeterred by a poor non-conf. This team can be hard to gameplan for with so many underclassmen playing key roles. Today, Friberg came up big with a trio of treys.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-11-20 02:00 AM - Post#296490    
    In response to gokinsmen

I am astonished with the emergence of RA as a dominant force at both ends of the court, especially after seeing how raw and foul-prone he was as an inexperienced underclassman. His grit, hard work and positive attitude coupled with improvements of the current underclassmen might take us farther than we ever imagined after our dismal non league schedule. The Penn sweep is an encouraging way to go into exam break.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Pennsylvania Redux
01-12-20 11:55 AM - Post#296563    
    In response to gokinsmen

The turnaround by the Tigers is impressive and I am pleasantly surprised. It is not one thing but many things -- Schwieger's return to good health, Wright getting his confidence back, Jaelin playing under control, etc etc. Henderson does deserve credit for putting pieces together although time will tell, especially against Harvard and Yale, if the pieces will work together.

Watching the Tigers warm up against Penn confirmed to me that the Tigers have the physical tools - height/length/strength to compete against IL teams. There still are questions as to their shooting capabilities but the switch to the inside to outside game has given 3 pt shooters more open looks.

On defensive end, there is simply more effort as demonstrated by guards fighting off picks against the Quakers and not permitting back door passes by Brodeur. The physical skills are there to play defense but the will was often missing in non-conference play.

The only wish is that Coach would have gone to the inside/out game much earlier and to get these guys to play hard on defense from Day 1 but it is what it was.

Let's see if they can keep it up.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-12-20 03:32 PM - Post#296570    
    In response to bradley

From my brief view of the Penn games, the defense appeared to be much more active and aggressive. Holding Penn to 58 points is a feat in itself. Maybe the Coach had a talk with Carla Berube?

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
01-12-20 03:44 PM - Post#296571    
    In response to Tiger69

Working all weekend; finally watched the replay. Random thoughts:

Tosan is a delight on both ends of the court, and has unlimited upside. Kareem Maddox anyone?

Penn should definitely have fouled Richmond as soon as he touched the ball on that last offensive set when Morales scored.

Penn's zone will never be compared to that of Syracuse.

True Brodeur outscored Richmond, but Richmond was doubled, allowing us more open three's than Penn. Richmond played Brodeur straight up so we defended Betley and Martz better. Nice block of Martz by Friberg, btw.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
01-14-20 03:53 PM - Post#296672    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

We went to the game on Friday. I wasn't sure what to expect; I was surprised!! Team never gave up, even when the game was getting too close for comfort. Played with confidence. This season could end up being lots of fun...

bradley 
PhD Student

01-14-20 07:53 PM - Post#296683    
    In response to mmp629

Coach was not on the radio show this evening as he is out recruiting. Coach McConnell filled in and was a little more open than Mitch. Schwieger and Tosan were interviewed and they were a lot of fun. You can tell that there is very good chemistry on this team as it sounds like the team has been a bunch of jokesters and loosey goosey. Schwieger is a character.

Sounds like the ultimate role models that Henderson uses is Weisz and Bray. He has the current players look at video of the two of them as to how they play. It also sounds like Richmond and Gladson are the leaders on the team.

Schwieger talked about the turnaround game being the comeback against Iona. McConnell talked about the importance of Richmond playing one on one against Brodeur. One only has to look at a replay to see what happened when Richmond got in foul trouble that certainly helped the Penn comeback.

Sounds like Jaelin is also the glue to the team both on and off the court.

Sounds like the two players are optimistic regarding IL play but Schwieger understands the challenges of back to back play.

Watched a replay today and the first six minutes of the second half were really impressive as to getting open shots and contesting Penn shots.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-15-20 07:45 AM - Post#296692    
    In response to bradley

Thanks for that summary.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-15-20 08:53 PM - Post#296748    
    In response to bradley

Based on your recommendation, I listened to the show tonight.

I especially liked the second half with the two players, Schwieger and Tosan. Great guys, great sense of humor. Apparently the entire team is quite funny, and Jaelin keeps a book of humorous things the guys say. Can't wait for him to be on the show.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-17-20 06:59 AM - Post#296860    

Love the idea of having players watch video of Weisz and the oft-overlooked but terrific Bray. Lots of teachable little things in their games.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-17-20 11:07 AM - Post#296876    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
Love the idea of having players watch video of Weisz and the oft-overlooked but terrific Bray. Lots of teachable little things in their games.

Agree - they were both fundamentally sound players and will probably be coaches one of these days. Weisz is playing much better this year in Israel and Bray has enjoyed a productive pro career in Europe.

It should be interesting to see how the IL regular season will play out. No team had a "killer" schedule and only four teams - Yale, Brown, Tigers and Penn had a reasonably competitive non-conference schedule. The Tigers first four non-conference games turned out to be the most challenging part of their schedule.

Will any IL team be a dominant team during the regular season, i.e. Yale or Harvard -- . Yale has played well against better non-conference teams but they certainly are not deep and will have to avoid injuries to their top 3 plus back to backs. Harvard??? - who knows. It may come down to the best coaching job during the regular season as to who wins the league and Coach Jones always seems to have Yale play hard and relatively consistent. Brown may be a surprise team.

As to the Tigers, is Mitch starting to put the pieces together or did they simply catch a struggling Penn team?

There are probably more questions than normal entering the IL season. The league is ok this year but probably nothing much more. Time will tell.

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
01-17-20 05:03 PM - Post#296895    
    In response to bradley

Pennsylvania has a fish cake for lunch tomorrow at the Palestra by the name of Saint Joseph's.

The result should answer your question.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-17-20 11:13 PM - Post#296927    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

St Joe's has a new coach who replaced Martelli and have suffered some tough injuries plus they have the 6th highest SOS in the country - crazy schedule. Penn should win handily -- if not, they may have greater issues than I thought.

Based on the introduction of IvyMadness, some Tiger fans may have been rooting for Brown or Yale this evening. If your focus would be on winning the IL regular championship, one would probably hope that Brown would upset Yale. If one's focus is on getting into IvyMadness, you might have been for a Yale win based on the expectation that a Brown loss may give your Tiger team a better chance to get into IvyMadness with the ultimate dream of playing in the Big Dance. I was hoping that somehow Brown would beat Yale as the Ivy League regular championship counts for me. Kinda weird to say the least but all part of IvyMadness.

Hopefully, there is less complexity regarding the Tiger;s women based on how they have positioned themselves.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-18-20 09:30 AM - Post#296944    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
I was hoping that somehow Brown would beat Yale as the Ivy League regular championship counts for me.

If I had been paying attention I would have watched the game. And rooted for Brown. Just to see Yale go down.

But our best shot is the tournament, so I think this loss by Brown is helpful.

Same logic today. Better for us Harvard wins, difficile dictu.

Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
01-18-20 12:52 PM - Post#296953    

Current ESPN Bracket has Princeton in The Dance as a #16 seed.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-18-20 01:20 PM - Post#296957    
    In response to Naismith

It’s a long shot, But I STILL would prefer the league championship to the tourney. It only gives the damn thing more credibility. GO TIGERS, GO TOURNAMENT 4th SEED!

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-18-20 01:23 PM - Post#296958    
    In response to SRP

Key to both was being allergic to turnovers. Tremendously unselfish, both of them.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-18-20 01:27 PM - Post#296959    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I watched some of Yale-Brown on replay. We match up well in the post and at guard. The question is who guards Bruner? I suspect it will be Tosan, at least to start.

Page 3 of 5 « First<2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.278 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:10 PM