Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: team impressions        (Topic#238)
yuvuphys 

Loc: New Haven, CT
Reg: 12-12-04
12-12-04 03:58 PM - Post#1182    

I saw my first Yale game against Bucknell (I'm a new 1st year grad student), and thought I'd post my impressions on the team.

There's some good individual talent on the team. Draughan and Martin, I think they are, impressed me especially, with thier ability to find the basket and get points down.

Their transition offense needs work; they were lucky to get two free throws out of many of thier contested breaks. Generally whomever has the ball will drive straight towards the basket and try to score, when an open jump shot or one more pass would do much towards imporving scoring chances.

In the first half of the game I thought their ball movement could have been better. I seldom saw passes go across the court and force the defense to adjust (though they did get better about this later into the game). There was lots of passing between three guys on the same side of the court, and that just won't cut it. Better passing would also help them deal with tight defense more easily.

Their shot selection could also use some work; the way Bucknell's defense was collapsing in when they drove into the lane, every shot Yale took should have been an open shot. But, too often someone would drive in the lane, take a shot in traffic, miss, and Bucknell would get the rebound. Kicking it out for an open shot is a much higher percentage play.

All in all, I think they have the capacity to improve greatly; the talent is there, they just need to use it the best as is possible.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.318 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:50 AM