Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Faulds and Hanson        (Topic#23823)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
01-16-20 05:01 PM - Post#296838    

Based upon my exchange with Murph I checked on the season to date stats for Hanson at Xavier and Faulds at Michigan. Both are buried deep on their respective benches, rarely play, and have basically done nothing.

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
01-17-20 07:01 AM - Post#296861    
    In response to Chet Forte

For the life of me, I will never understand Jaron Faulds' decision to transfer. Michigan is a great school, but it's not Columbia. And let's face it, none of these kids are going to the NBA, so they might as well get the best degree possible. On top of that, it's been two years since he's played much at all. After a promising freshman season at Columbia, he sat out a year, and is now buried at the end of the Michigan bench.

IMO, a much better option for Faulds would have been to play extensively for three years at Columbia, then take his last year off (ala Tape), graduate with a Columbia degree, then transfer to Michigan for a graduate degree and a chance to play high D1 in his 5th year, like Castlin, Mullins, Adlesh, Tape, etc.

That would have been much better for Columbia as well.

Hanson's decision is even worse, for all the same reasons.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-17-20 07:38 AM - Post#296863    
    In response to Murph

Faulds had a helicopter Dad. Always an issue.

IvyHoopsFan01 
Freshman

Reg: 10-28-14
01-17-20 03:01 PM - Post#296886    

Good point, Chet. Over the years, I coached several hundred athletes on elite club teams and experienced a ton of helicopter parents. I found that the helicopter kid athletes tended to out perform other athletes during the period from middle school to early high school years. As time wore on, they started to regress since the intense internal drive to succeed was more instilled their parents than their kids. It was a rare exception where the helicopter kid player could stay hungry and highly self-motivated, especially in college when the influence of parents diminishes dramatically.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-17-20 03:25 PM - Post#296887    
    In response to IvyHoopsFan01

I wonder if Juwan Howard is getting dissed on twitter by you know who.

HGA 
Sophomore

Loc: New York
Reg: 10-16-18
01-17-20 06:42 PM - Post#296912    

The young man is just fine!

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-17-20 07:35 PM - Post#296914    
    In response to Murph

All depends on what they want to get out of the experience. Some kids would rather be a role player (or even just a practice player) at a big time program. I do agree with you that Faulds would actually have a better chance of playing a bigger role for a year somewhere like Michigan if he went the grad transfer route. But that may not be his goal.

It also may simply be that Faulds came to Columbia expecting to be a big fish in a small pond, and when he realized that he was going to be a role player for at least a year or two at Columbia, he just thought he might as well be a role player at a bigger program.

Billy Hoyle 
Freshman

Loc: Roar-ee's Lair
Reg: 12-17-14
01-27-20 01:41 PM - Post#297580    
    In response to Murph

• Murph Said:
For the life of me, I will never understand Jaron Faulds' decision to transfer. Michigan is a great school, but it's not Columbia. And let's face it, none of these kids are going to the NBA, so they might as well get the best degree possible. On top of that, it's been two years since he's played much at all. After a promising freshman season at Columbia, he sat out a year, and is now buried at the end of the Michigan bench.

IMO, a much better option for Faulds would have been to play extensively for three years at Columbia, then take his last year off (ala Tape), graduate with a Columbia degree, then transfer to Michigan for a graduate degree and a chance to play high D1 in his 5th year, like Castlin, Mullins, Adlesh, Tape, etc.

That would have been much better for Columbia as well.

Hanson's decision is even worse, for all the same reasons.

being from the Midwest I can tell you that Michigan carries more weight in the professional world than Columbia does. In Chicago, Michigan is right behind the U of Chicago and Northwestern for prestige.

My cousin graduated from Holt with Faulds. His dream school was always Michigan, even being in Michigan State's back yard. He didn't really like NYC and when Michigan gave him the opportunity how could he not take it?
I can hear Jimi!

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-27-20 05:09 PM - Post#297593    
    In response to Billy Hoyle

So when Lee Bollinger left the presidency of Michigan for Columbia he was taking a demotion in prestige etc.? And the USNews and World Report carries no weight in Chicago? And in the. legal and medical worlds Columbia far surpasses any of those three schools both in Chicago and the rest of the country.

\\\

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
01-27-20 05:52 PM - Post#297596    

As a Columbia Law grad, I think the reputation of the school speaks for itself. I cringe every time I see an alum of either of my schools reference the US News ratings. But the point that Michigan is an excellent school that has a huge alumni base (and thus networking clout) in Chicago is true. And let's face it---it is so big and different from CU that a kid who prefers it there probably wasn't at the best school for him at Columbia.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-27-20 11:17 PM - Post#297611    
    In response to palestra38

Also, regardless of the relative merits of the two schools purely based on academics, the truth is that there is some professional juice in playing basketball at Michigan that doesn’t exist at Columbia (or Penn). Faulds may need to be more than a walk-on deep reserve to get much of that juice, but it is there for a smart driven kid if the team is good.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.276 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:03 AM