Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: at Columbia        (Topic#23837)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
01-19-20 11:46 AM - Post#297075    

Not to take anything away from Columbia -- they played well and deserved the win -- but this team is a mess right now.

The Red are now bottom 10 in the nation in three point shooting percentage, but still take way, way too many threes. Last night, 25 of their 59 shots were 3's, of which they made 5. You would think they would be a little better, but it is a team wide problem and we are deep enough into the season that it is who Cornell is. The failure to adjust is maddening.

The defense has been consistently poor and, other than not fouling, there isn't much they do well. They haven't had a solid defensive performance since Thanksgiving (and honestly, Coppin St. is just bad at offense).

The guys probably surprise a team or two in Newman, that's just the way sports go, but the 3 or 4 league wins that Bart and Ken are projecting seem like a bad bet right now.

FLBB 
Freshman

Reg: 05-19-18
01-19-20 03:01 PM - Post#297087    
    In response to mountainred

Correct me if I am wrong, but appears to me that the majority of current players on the roster were not offered by any other college. We have a number of players who , although playing for very good high school teams, averaged less than 10 pts a game in high school. Earl's belief in his his system outweighs the reality you still need talent to win.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
01-19-20 06:05 PM - Post#297098    
    In response to FLBB

I know that Verbal Commits is far from 100% accurate on offers but it does seem to offer some idea of how much interest a player generated. A previous post suggested that Earl is not a fan of VC due to his Princeton roots but it is obvious that does not stop kids from posting their offers nor other Ivies.

According to the site, 9 current players only received an offer from Cornell--
McCarty, Mack, McBride, Harshany, Samberg, Dickson, Jones, Filien and Uzoka

7players had additional offers besides Cornell
Noah Gear (JMU)
Josh Warren (West Chester, Pace, East Stroudsburg, Jefferson, St. Francis (PA)
Bryan Knapp (High Point, San Diego, Loyola)
Boeheim (Dartmouth)
Riley Voss (Christian Brothers, Hillsdale, Air Force)
Dean Knoll (Caldwell)
Greg Dolan (Dartmouth, Bryant, Albany, Canisius, American, Buffalo, Binghamton)

Incoming recruits
Isaiah Gray (Dominican, NJIT, Central Conn, Binghamton, Holy Cross)
Chris Manon (Bloomfield, St. Francis (PA), BU
Sean Hansen (no other offers)

It is one thing to believe in your system, but if you are not getting any results by mid-season it is time to change things up. Stating the obvious, running the same offense and playing the same players that got you to 1-11 (I don’t count the d3 games) is leading the team to a disaster of a season.

FLBB 
Freshman

01-19-20 07:13 PM - Post#297100    
    In response to FlareScreen

And there is the problem. Looking at that list there are only 2 players who appear to be offered by schools that would be considered at a higher level than Cornell... Knapp - U of SD and Dolan - UB. I don't see either of those guys ever getting on the court at those two schools. The only player right now that could play at a higher level than Cornell is Boeheim (he's grown 2 inches, gotten stronger and more athletic). For mid / lower level DI team to be good they have to either : 1) Get recruits who could have gone to higher level schools 2) Develop players to the point that after 2-3 years you could see them playing for a higher level school that they couldn't play for when you got them. Cornell appears to have only one player that presently fits those criteria.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
01-20-20 12:56 PM - Post#297123    

• FlareScreen Said:

According to the site, 9 current players only received an offer from Cornell--
McCarty, Mack, McBride, Harshany, Samberg, Dickson, Jones, Filien and Uzoka.

Verbal Commits doesn't do the best job of tracking offers at the JUCO level; I could have sworn Dickson had an offer from Air Force; and I've thought Samberg and Uzoka were more academic admits who also play hoops. But that's just nit picking.

• FlareScreen Said:

It is one thing to believe in your system, but if you are not getting any results by mid-season it is time to change things up. Stating the obvious, running the same offense and playing the same players that got you to 1-11 (I don’t count the d3 games) is leading the team to a disaster of a season.

It would be nice if they ran the offense, rather than passing the ball around the perimeter and missing a 3.

Earl doesn't have a ton of options, which is his fault, but Dolan has to be given more time at the point over Knapp and Noll. He's going to make mistakes, but his potential is so much higher. And stop f'ing with Jones. I get frustrated with him at times too, but benching him to start Voss is not a good idea. Offers or not, Jordan can play at this level while Voss is, at best, a rotation guy.

FLBB 
Freshman

01-21-20 09:05 PM - Post#297180    
    In response to mountainred

The offense is based on getting lay ups first and then getting threes when the defense has to sag to take the back cut away. The problem is that that defenses have improved to the point where inferior athletes just can't beat their men back door. They can't beat anyone off the dribble which results in offense being a real struggle. Earl is also very aversive to running a lot of set plays.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
01-22-20 11:12 AM - Post#297193    
    In response to FLBB

That about sums it up, would just add that when the back door cuts are not available they go into a dribble hand-off series and then settle for step behind jump shots. I am guessing 2 points on every opponent's scouting report are: 1) don’t get backed doored 2) go under all perimeter ball screens and make them shoot 3’s. Cornell seems willing to settle for 3’s although they are shooting 27% on the year.

How about running some “Horn sets” which from my viewing of college games, almost every team runs some version of it. Cornell has the right personnel to give it a try. McBride or Dolan on top, Boeheim, Warren, Dickson, Voss at the elbows and Jones, McBride, Knapp, etc. on the wings. Seems to me it would create some high/low action for Warren and Boeheim, who are good interior passers. In addition, I think most players have run some version of it in high school/aau so it would not be a steep learning curve at this point in the season.

FLBB 
Freshman

01-23-20 12:38 AM - Post#297232    

Dribble hand off behind into the three is a very difficult shot since the shooters momentum is not going to the basket. Much higher % on three point FGs created by ball reversal / penetration / kick outs.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.448 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:55 PM