Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 8 of 17 « First<891011>» Last
Username Post: Fire ND!        (Topic#23900)
The Psycho of Sojka 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-15-15
03-14-21 06:50 PM - Post#322006    
    In response to river rat

I definitely think their is lack of fun or excitement on the team. I know one of the transfers had said that was at least one of the reasons to leave. I don’t know if there was other reasons but, I’m sure there was.

I’m more curious to see how many more players leave under this staff. I’m going to take a guess at two more within the end of 2021-2022 season.

JPM 
Masters Student
JPM
Reg: 05-20-08
03-14-21 08:14 PM - Post#322016    
    In response to The Psycho of Sojka

I have not followed the team closely this year but i did watch the Colgate game in the PL tourney.

Frankly, I was shocked at how poorly Bucknell played. The lack of defense, poor rebounding, and uninspired play on offense was very surprising to see.

Also, the talent level is significantly below DP's teams. Other than Meeks and maybe Funk, I don't think any of the players on the current roster would even see the court on DP's Muscala teams or Haas teams.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-14-21 09:05 PM - Post#322027    
    In response to JPM

We’ve had season tickets for the last 14-15 years and to me, it doesn’t seem like players thoroughly enjoy playing for Davis. Just going by body language and activity on the bench. I could be way off, but other than Sestina and a few others, no much joy to be found the past few years. But also, winning is more of a chore, and players are always happier when they win.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-14-21 09:09 PM - Post#322028    
    In response to JPM

Interesting take JPM. I actually think two or three of the raw talent that you speak of but they’re not being coached up both individually and as a unit. Rice, Deuce, Screen, and Ellis have lots of demonstrated ability. They’re simply not nurtured and haven’t had mentorship because of poor character upper class men and transfers.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
03-15-21 09:12 AM - Post#322041    
    In response to JPM

JPM, I enjoyed the back and forth between you and 137 back in the DP years, and always respected your well supported opinions, but I think you are wrong in your judgement of this teams talent level.

Let’s put Muscala aside, since Bucknell does not graduate 8 year and counting NBA players every year. One of the secrets of coaching in the PL is to get lucky every now and again and land that till now undeveloped gem that was Muscala. Granted Johnson and Willman were no slouches, and Willman was actually considered that years prize recruit, and he did not disappoint.

But I digress, Meeks and Funk could have played on any Paulson team, no maybes about it. Zander Rice showed tremendous progress in this ridiculous, aborted season. Ellis got off to a slow start shooting but picked it up and I expect great things from him next year.

In all honesty, I could make a case that Screen coming in was potentially a better player than Muscala, although it will take some doing to say that about him when he is done. Has a tendency to foul (and whine when he is called on it) and is not a great FT shooter like Mike, but a superior talent none the less and he’ll get better. And then there is Deuce Turner, 2nd highest scorer in PA HS history.

I am not able to comment, knowledgeably on ND’s coaching ability, other than to point out his tremendous W-L record in D3 and prior to last year at BU. Joyless? Players do not like playing for him? I don’t know. Never heard any of that when the Bison were winning. Losing brings the BS. Witness DP circa 2008 on this board. I was right there helping lead the charge to dump him. Again, what do I know?

ND was my second choice for HC when DP left, and I was not unhappy to see him brought in by the Bison. First choice was Dane Fischer, c’est la vie!

Btw, I would not be too quick to judge off that one Colgate game. Definitely a fiasco, and easily the seasons worst performance. Admittedly blame for that has to go in large part to the coaching staff.

Finally on another subject, if as posted by several that playing for Davis is joyless ( and again I have no knowledge either way) why on earth is Rice always smiling. Just sayin’

Good to hear from you again JPM!

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
03-15-21 10:44 AM - Post#322043    
    In response to bison63

JPM back, piling on a mediocre Bucknell team and exuding (correctly) the virtues of the previous coach who has been effectively canceled from Bucknell history, at least from a perspective of entering Sojka to attend a game. And critical Husky colonial, Thoughful 137, and old coach oldbison.
In the ecosystem of the Patriot League, Bucknell has its place, as well as the military academies, Holy Cross, whose head of the snake is now nearly lopped off, the relatively new teams Boston and Loyola, who Hardt had more of a role getting in than we all know, and lackluster Layfayette, who is really the only team that needs a decent coach to succeed in this league.
Bucknell and to a lesser extent Lehigh and Colgate have the beautiful students, and the whole key to success is to let the kids play with the coaches role an intelligent high energy coach who genuinely wants a win and will cheer as a sixth man on the court. Flannery was this type of coach, and so was Paulson. Davis is a great X's and O's coach, and a much better coach than I ever will be, but in my opinion he has the energy of a generic coach seen in many darkened high school gyms across the land. This is Bucknell! We need fire and passion on the sidelines! We need to let the players play. We need Bucky and the cheerleaders and the Bison girls and the baton twirler and dare I say, the wigmeister. Not a monotone style from a tired playbook. Thanks for playing, lets get the Griffin passion in here, and the wins will come.

JPM 
Masters Student
JPM
Reg: 05-20-08
03-15-21 04:20 PM - Post#322086    
    In response to Paulie777

HuskyC and B63,

Granted, the one game I watched is the smallest of sample sizes. That said, I expected much more when tuning in to a PL tournament semi-final game against the #1 seed.

Frankly, the level of play in all facets of the game (as well as Bucknell's overall talent level) did not pass the "eye test."

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-16-21 10:31 AM - Post#322115    
    In response to Paulie777

Would expand the thoughts regarding ND's "monotone style" to include his coaching strategy. His ability to change to match up to other team's strengths or minimize Bison weaknesses has always been a concern. When we have the talent, his x's and o's normally work. No surprise that the team's energy, likely due to confidence in their game plan, seems higher as well. His predictability also seems to make it easier for other team's coaches to develop their strategy. Seems to have good talent coming in so will see if this trend continues.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-16-21 10:36 AM - Post#322116    
    In response to Paulie777

Would expand the thoughts regarding ND's "monotone style" to include his coaching strategy. His ability to change to match up to other team's strengths or minimize Bison weaknesses has always been a concern. When we have the talent, his x's and o's normally work. No surprise that the team's energy, likely due to confidence in their game plan, seems higher as well. His predictability also seems to make it easier for other team's coaches to develop their strategy. Seems to have good talent coming in so will see if this trend continues.

The Psycho of Sojka 
Sophomore

03-16-21 04:31 PM - Post#322147    
    In response to Paulie777

I’d like to add on some other info as well. I’ve brought it up before maybe under this topic awhile ago. Davis’s best coaching seasons are while having the previous coaches recruits. If you look at the records over the years it’s a trend. Currently, at Bucknell he is under the same trend as he was in D3. Granite you could say he has a fantastic record or what not that’s for you to decide. If it comes down to his recruits vs. ex coaches recruits it’s night and day.

Basically it should be the opposite you should have your worst seasons under players that you didn’t recruit and the best under your talent and I am not seeing that what so ever.

I’ve been going to games in person for years including road games when I can and you can tell there is a big difference from players overall emotion and passion from players that played under PF, DP, and ND. You could maybe blame some stuff on the pandemic this past year but, that’s just an excuse someone needed to step up and I don’t think anybody could till Meeks came back.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-17-21 08:42 AM - Post#322195    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
I guess this thread is going to stick around, at least until the Bison go on a 10 game winning streak, and while I am in no way qualified to comment on the coaching, I think it is time to put one idea to rest, and that is the theory that Nathan Davis wins with the other guys players, but his record sours when he is on his own. It says here that this is untrue.
ND's best season at RM, was his last, when he was in his second season of rosters fully recruited by him. That sesaon his team compiled a 28-3 record for a .903 winning percentage, and went to the D3 Elite 8. His "worst" year if you can refer to a Sweet 16 appearance by that name was 2 seasons prior to the 28-3 season. That year he was only 21-10 for a meager .697 %, and as I said had to be content with the Sweet 16.

what's it prove? Nothing really, except the idea that he can only win with somebody elses recruits seems pretty lame.

Reposting this in response to Psycho of Sojka’s continued insistence that ND’s past record prove his history is to win with the other guy’s recruits.

Maryland Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 04-20-18
03-17-21 09:17 AM - Post#322202    

• The Psycho of Sojka Said:
Granite you could say he has a fantastic record or what not that’s for you to decide.

I think the Bison just need to do a better job out on the basketball quartz.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-17-21 09:44 AM - Post#322205    
    In response to Maryland Bison

Think about this for a second. Until last season, all Davis did was win. Regardless of why he won ( other guys recruits, whatever),he won. That is undeniable. So losing is something he has not experienced as a HC until now. Is it not likely that he is more upset by this than we are. And is it not likely that he will make adjustments as he goes forward . He might even smile😀
My point is, the guy has been a winning coach, and he is not likely to take losing sitting down. This year he stopped the switching tactics that drove everybody nuts. I am saying this because IMO unless the Bison really tank, or if he is proven to be abusive or something of that nature, he is here until he decides to leave. Especially, if the downgrading of athletics under Bravman that 137 speaks of is true. So I think it is more likely that ND figures his way out of this than it is that he is fired. I doubt he reads this board, but I’d bet somebody tells him what is being said here, so maybe he will even bring joy to the game. You never know!

Raymond Bucknell 
Sophomore
Raymond Bucknell
Reg: 11-14-11
03-17-21 01:00 PM - Post#322228    
    In response to Maryland Bison

• Maryland Bison Said:
  • The Psycho of Sojka Said:
Granite you could say he has a fantastic record or what not that’s for you to decide.

I think the Bison just need to do a better job out on the basketball quartz.

Gneiss one!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-17-21 06:12 PM - Post#322254    
    In response to Raymond Bucknell

These are the players that ND inherited from Paulsen/Fischer/Kelly:

- Chris Hass. Dom Hoffman, Ryan Frazier
- DJ MacLeay, John Azzinaro, Ben Oberfeld (career ended over summer)
- Nana Foulland, Zach Thomas, Stephen Brown (JC Show was in the process of transferring)
- Nate Sestina, Kimbal Mackenzie, Nate Jones

Imo there are very few coaches in the country who wouldn't have been wildly successful in the PL if they inherited this talent pool. You can make a good case that it is the best pool of talent ever assembled in the PL at one time, with only perhaps three other contenders.

Among the many things that concern me is that recruiting over the past four years has not been as good.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
03-17-21 06:18 PM - Post#322256    
    In response to Bison137

Also, Davis can be obsidian at times.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-17-21 08:56 PM - Post#322267    
    In response to Paulie777

I mean, granite, Maryland does have a point.

The Psycho of Sojka 
Sophomore

Fire ND!
03-31-21 11:19 AM - Post#322686    

Well at least I can say I called it. Losing another big player from the program under this staff.

Edited by The Psycho of Sojka on 03-31-21 11:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-31-21 12:54 PM - Post#322701    

Yes, definitely time for ND to go. With one exception, I have no confidence at all in the current staff.

The Psycho of Sojka 
Sophomore

03-31-21 01:10 PM - Post#322703    
    In response to Bison137

I also have to agree. I have no confidence in the rest of the staff.

Page 8 of 17 « First<891011>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.271 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:13 AM