Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 7 of 10 « First<78910
Username Post: @Cornell        (Topic#23942)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-10-20 09:30 AM - Post#299358    
    In response to palestra38

When I think about this, I suspect the ‘trade’ is Betley’s minutes to Martz and Scott. Shooting, ball handling and passing suffer a bit, but rebounds, defense and inside points gain, especially as Martz improves in these areas. What suffers most is the experience needed when playing league games. It is also bit worrisome that there are now only 8 guys SD is comfortable putting out there. I still think they get to 8 wins, but that’s one less than I was projecting going into the weekend.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Re: @Cornell
02-10-20 10:20 AM - Post#299361    

• palestra38 Said:
Betley was not getting to the line, though. Fewer than 2 FT per game. I think the new guys will draw a lot more fouls. But our FT shooting appears to have been improving as the season goes on. Playing these close games allows the guys to experience and overcome pressure.

I'm pretty sure that most of Betley's FT attempts came as the result of late-game, must foul situations in close games. P38 is correct in that he wasn't getting to the line very often earlier in games.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-10-20 10:34 AM - Post#299362    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

• weinhauers_ghost Said:

I'm pretty sure that most of Betley's FT attempts came as the result of late-game, must foul situations in close games.

Exactly. That is what worries me most going forward. No one on the floor who is a decent bet out there.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-10-20 10:44 AM - Post#299363    
    In response to penn nation

Maybe they can tape Ryan up and put him in there at the end of games. He can probably pivot on the good leg.

palestra38 
Professor

02-10-20 10:44 AM - Post#299364    

We've been hitting most of our shots down the stretch in recent games. Even Dingle, who was missing earlier, was missing. As I said, Betley was only averaging 1.7 FTs per game. It is not as though he was getting the ball on the inbounds scrums anyway.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-10-20 10:50 AM - Post#299365    
    In response to 10Q

• 10Q Said:
Maybe they can tape Ryan up and put him in there at the end of games. He can probably pivot on the good leg.

No.

Have you ever had a bad ankle sprain?

The season depends on AJ/Dev continuing what they've been doing, Martz/Dingle progressing (which can be a tough to do for Frosh going thru the league the 2nd time), and Scott proving this weekend is a new baseline for his play and not a mirage.

Who is going to be the 6th man now? Not sure.

penn nation 
Professor

@Cornell
02-10-20 10:54 AM - Post#299367    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:

Who is going to be the 6th man now? Not sure.

Probably depends on match ups. The only guys SD has been putting out there are Jerome, Simmons and Monroe (what ever did happen to Washington, anyways?). Against a Yale, Simmons is going to have to see more court time against their bigs. Unless SD thinks Penn can be a Houston Rockets and go small (not likely considering we have no outside threat other than Martz).

Edited by penn nation on 02-10-20 10:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-10-20 11:00 AM - Post#299369    

Washington was dressed and on the bench this weekend. Not sure his status but would be great to see him have a resurgence.

palestra38 
Professor

02-10-20 11:10 AM - Post#299370    

Dingle is an outside threat---and Goodman has taken his game up a notch.

penn nation 
Professor

02-10-20 11:14 AM - Post#299371    

• palestra38 Said:
Dingle is an outside threat---and Goodman has taken his game up a notch.

We weren't a good 3 pt shooting team even with Betley in the lineup. Current 32.1% rate ranks tied for 246th.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-10-20 11:27 AM - Post#299373    
    In response to TheLine

I wasn't being serious. I know all about ankle injuries.

palestra38 
Professor

02-10-20 11:40 AM - Post#299374    

It's not horrible given how good we are inside.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
@Cornell
02-10-20 12:41 PM - Post#299391    

Let’s see how teams adjust their defenses now that they’re down to only 1 reliable 3-point shooter in Martz, who until Saturday hadn’t even been able to get perimeter shots up in league play. His effectiveness in the paint yesterday was encouraging, and it was good to see multiple guys attack the rim and score, but Cornell is a terrible defensive team across the board, so a little expectation tempering is in order.

It’s going to start getting a lot harder to get quality 2-point shots this coming weekend, especially Saturday. Teams have spent most of the year trying to deny Penn the perimeter—that may change in a hurry now that the most successful volume shooter they had is gone, and everyone left apart from Martz has ranged from at best mediocre (Dingle) to bad (Goodman, Jerome, Scott) to outright terrible (Brodeur, Washington, Simmons, Monroe). Don’t be surprised if we start seeing some heavy sagging into the paint come Friday.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 02-10-20 12:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

02-10-20 12:43 PM - Post#299393    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I was going to write pretty much the same thing, Chip. I think teams will be more than happy to let Goodman and Dingle fire away from deep.

• Chip Bayers Said:
Let’s see how teams adjust their defenses now that they’re down to only 1 reliable 3-point shooter in Martz, who until Saturday hadn’t even been able to get perimeter shots up in league play. His effectiveness in the paint yesterday was encouraging, and it was good to see multiple guys attack the rim and score, but Cornell is a terrible defensive team across the board.

It’s going to start getting a lot harder to get quality 2-point shots this coming weekend, especially Saturday. Teams have spent most of the year trying to deny Penn the perimeter—that may change in a hurry now that the most successful volume shooter they had is gone, and everyone left apart from Martz has been ranged from at best mediocre (Dingle) to bad (Goodman, Jerome, Scott) to outright terrible (Brodeur, Washington, Simmons, Monroe). Don’t be surprised if we start seeing some heavy sagging into the paint come Friday.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-10-20 01:20 PM - Post#299407    
    In response to Streamers

I agree that defense will improve with Martz/Scott playing instead of Betley. Rebounding, however, will not, particularly on the defensive end. Betley’s defensive rebounding percentage is 18.4%, which is a close second to AJ among the guys in the rotation. Martz is 8.8% (only Jerome gets fewer defensive rebounds). Even with continued improvement, he’s not going to make us better in that regard. Scott is right in between, at 13.3%. Both guys are better offensive rebounders than Betley (who basically just turns and goes back to play defense on every shot).

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
02-10-20 04:06 PM - Post#299439    

PN - as to your question about Bryce Washington, he has been wearing a bandage/brace on his right wrist and (shooting) hand and still had it on yesterday. Not sure of the type or extent of his injury but that may make him unlikely to get much PT until there is more healing.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
02-10-20 06:17 PM - Post#299460    
    In response to SteveChop

This is really unfortunate as last year's version of Bryce could fill the shooting and even some of the rebounding void that SG mentions that Betley leaves. The latter was a surprise to me when I looked it up. My eyes did not see Betley as a significant rebounding asset - I still think Dev is better for a guard - but then I remembered Betley has an uncanny knack for tracking down the longer rebounds.

penn nation 
Professor

02-10-20 08:28 PM - Post#299475    
    In response to Streamers

Well, at least the first portion of last year's Bryce. His shooting touch did not last the whole season but, yes, this team could definitely use more of what he provided in the early going.

• Streamers Said:
This is really unfortunate as last year's version of Bryce could fill the shooting and even some of the rebounding void that SG mentions that Betley leaves. The latter was a surprise to me when I looked it up. My eyes did not see Betley as a significant rebounding asset - I still think Dev is better for a guard - but then I remembered Betley has an uncanny knack for tracking down the longer rebounds.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-11-20 12:37 AM - Post#299497    

I hate losing Betley. He is a guy who plays well under pressure and has always been composed. He is our only real shooter. I have not watched Martz a lot recently, but early in the season he looked very slow on defense. Hoping he has improved in the meantime. Hopefully this is the time when Goodman decides he is a senior and is going to play like this is his last stand. This is around the time when Foreman came to life his senior year. It's fine with me if one of the underclassman takes control too!

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
02-11-20 07:49 AM - Post#299505    
    In response to Penndemonium

It seems like both of those things are happening. Martz has come back to life and shown he can do more than just shoot 3s. Dev has asserted himself like this is his last stand. Nobody is glad that Betley is injured, but this does accelerate our transition to the future. So far, the guys who are likely to inherit his minutes, including Eddie Scott, have responded. Frankly, Ryan's return had very mixed results this year.

Page 7 of 10 « First<78910
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.292 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:40 AM