Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Eight Games to Go.        (Topic#23945)
TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-11-20 10:01 AM - Post#299515    
    In response to LyleGold

I think Arnolie was the quickest defender we ever had. Him or Ibby. Some of those older guys were before my time.

Best getting to the hoop was probably Allen.

Dev is one of the best at being incredibly quick at both ends of the court, which is impressive because he doesn't get to take many plays off.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
Eight Games to Go.
02-11-20 10:09 AM - Post#299518    
    In response to TheLine

Well, Arnolie sure was too quick with the ball for #8 Villanova, who had no choice but to foul him repeatedly. He hit 10 straight from the line to ice the greatest moment in Littlepage's checkered tenure. I'd go with Ibby as quickest defender.

For pure speed getting from one end of the court to the other with the ball, I think Devon is faster than Jerome. You may be right about his ability getting to the hoop which has different elements for different players.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-11-20 10:10 AM - Post#299519    
    In response to TheLine

Bowman was also a super super quick defender.

Another mark of just how good Allen and Maloney were--came off the bench for that team, then the following year (after they graduated) he wins IL POY.

• TheLine Said:
I think Arnolie was the quickest defender we ever had. Him or Ibby. Some of those older guys were before my time.

Best getting to the hoop was probably Allen.

Dev is one of the best at being incredibly quick at both ends of the court, which is impressive because he doesn't get to take many plays off.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

02-11-20 10:17 AM - Post#299523    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
Bowman was also a super super quick defender.

Another mark of just how good Allen and Maloney were--came off the bench for that team, then the following year (after they graduated) he wins IL POY.

That's more of a reflection of how convincing Scott Kegler was. He talked his way into the starting lineup by telling Dunphy that he was a senior and deserved it. Scott would fill it up from three early on and then Bowman would come in and shift gears, leaving opponents reeling and arguing with each other. Check out the first half of the Michigan game in '94-'95. Allen and Maloney didn't keep Bowman out of the starting lineup - Kegler did.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
Re: Eight Games to Go.
02-11-20 10:41 AM - Post#299530    
    In response to 13otto

Boy, did that footage bring back great memories! Still the best Penn team of all-time.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

02-11-20 11:59 AM - Post#299536    
    In response to 13otto

• 13otto Said:

Here are a couple minutes of highlights from the 1970-71 Penn-LaSalle game, to give you an idea of the quickness of Wohl and Bilsky, and how they could control the tempo of a game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sEk3cPEEw&a mp;li...

Although Facenda's voice sounds normal, the film clips appear to be sped up. Still, the shotmaking and tenacious play against a great LaSalle team were remarkable. Bilsky's double clutch baseline jumper where he gets knocked to the floor was amazing.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
02-11-20 07:14 PM - Post#299592    
    In response to 13otto

• 13otto Said:
  • LyleGold Said:
Wow, what a question. I never saw Wohl and Bilsky, but that team played at the highest national level of any Quaker squad, albeit in a different era than even the ‘79 team. The ‘79 team went further than any other, but most observers felt that they weren’t on the same level as the early 70s teams. The Allen-Maloney team was much more guard dependent than the others, and they both made the NBA along with Ira Bowman. They also dragged us from years of oblivion back to relevance and laid the foundation for another decade of Ivy titles. Wohl played in the NBA, but so did Corky Calhoun while Bob Morse became one of the all-time European greats. Neither Willis nor Salters played professionally, Tony Price had a cup of coffee in the NBA, and Matt White had a solid career in Spain. All of this considered, my rankings are:

1. Allen-Maloney
2. Bilsky-Wohl
3. Willis-Salters
4. Jordan-Langel

My greatest memories of Penn basketball are with the ‘79 team, especially that first NCAA weekend in Raleigh (Black Sunday!!!), but its wonderful backcourt was not Penn’s greatest.

Here are a couple minutes of highlights from the 1970-71 Penn-LaSalle game, to give you an idea of the quickness of Wohl and Bilsky, and how they could control the tempo of a game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sEk3cPEEw&a mp;li...

Thanks so much for posting that. Great memories. Lasalle was n=my second favorite team back then. Bernie Williams and Fatty Taylor both had great careers although they were gone by this game as was Greg Cannon. Durrett was the best I ever saw--I know in the tape they say Wolf shut dhim down but I have to think it was really Corky.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

02-11-20 09:27 PM - Post#299596    
    In response to OldBig5

That would be LARRY Cannon. His younger brother, Greg, later played for the Explorers but was not anywhere near the level of older brother Larry, who is a Big 5 Hall of Famer.

I will admit that during my sophomore year of 1968-69, the #2 in the country Explorers were probably my favorite team. They could have beaten UCLA that year but were prohibited from participating in the NCAA tournament because of the misdeeds of their prior coach, Jim Harding.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

02-11-20 09:44 PM - Post#299600    
    In response to SteveChop

• SteveChop Said:
That would be LARRY Cannon. His younger brother, Greg, later played for the Explorers but was not anywhere near the level of older brother Larry, who is a Big 5 Hall of Famer.

I will admit that during my sophomore year of 1968-69, the #2 in the country Explorers were probably my favorite team. They could have beaten UCLA that year but were prohibited from participating in the NCAA tournament because of the misdeeds of their prior coach, Jim Harding.

Thanks for catching that. I was thinking about Greg because my brother worked with him a couple of summers. Per the skinny, Larry got money while in school to help pay for his young kid. Larry, like Kenny Durrett was slowed by a knee injury that shortened his ABA career.

You probably remember the Lasalle-Western Kentucky game. That was one for the ages. Yes, I think that Lasalle team could have challenged UCLA--four future pros and Stan Llowdarzyck (sp?) was a decent center.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
02-12-20 12:16 AM - Post#299610    
    In response to OldBig5

Stan L. could really jump. He owned John Baum of Temple. Ken Durrett remains the pest big five player I have seen.

As to the best Penn guards, Maloney and Wohl have been the best pros. Dave Wohl is perhaps the best all round guard. Didn't Maloney get two Ivy POY's to Allen's one?

SteveChop 
PhD Student

02-12-20 12:26 AM - Post#299613    
    In response to UPIA1968

I think that Matt and Jerome may have shared one POY award.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

02-12-20 12:29 AM - Post#299614    
    In response to OldBig5

The Western Kentucky game that I assume you are referring to is the one where Jim McDaniels of WK scored 45 but LaSalle won anyway.

The other amazing performance against LaSalle was by Spencer Haywood who put up more than 40 points and 40 rebounds against them, stopping for a timeout when he BENT the rim on a dunk (before break-away rims).

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-12-20 12:46 AM - Post#299616    
    In response to SteveChop

• SteveChop Said:
I think that Matt and Jerome may have shared one POY award.

Jerome shared one with Buck Jenkins of Columbia. Jerome was a sophomore while Jenkins was a senior.

Jerome won a total of two, including the above shared one, while Maloney won one.

Edited by penn nation on 02-12-20 12:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

02-12-20 08:12 PM - Post#299749    
    In response to SteveChop

• SteveChop Said:
The Western Kentucky game that I assume you are referring to is the one where Jim McDaniels of WK scored 45 but LaSalle won anyway.

The other amazing performance against LaSalle was by Spencer Haywood who put up more than 40 points and 40 rebounds against them, stopping for a timeout when he BENT the rim on a dunk (before break-away rims).

Yes, the Jim McDaniels game.

Also remember the Spencer haywood game although not the bent rim. 41 points and 32 rebounds.
https://www.si.com/vault/1969/03/03/5585 15/basketb...

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
02-13-20 07:42 AM - Post#299789    
    In response to OldBig5

Maloney and Allen was IMO the best backcourt Penn ever had.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
02-13-20 08:51 AM - Post#299790    
    In response to Charlie Fog

Agreed.

And despite the great record of the '71 team, the '78 team had the best overall talent of any Penn team

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
02-13-20 08:55 AM - Post#299791    
    In response to OldBig5

I was a junior high schooler in NYC at that time and the greatest college game I saw live to that point was the Holiday Festival Final at the Garden between that McDaniel Western Ky team against John Roche's South Carolina team.

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1970...

Had a GO card which got me in for $2. Went to all the track meets at the Garden, big college games and WHA hockey (until it fled). This game, and the games I saw at Alumni Hall (my dad had gone back to school to get a PhD there in psych) made me a college hoops fan for life.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
02-13-20 11:30 AM - Post#299812    
    In response to SteveChop

The LaSalle-Western Ky game in 70-1 was the one in which Durrett scored 47 with @25 rebounds in LaSalle's romp. The Western Ky coach put Mc Daniels & Clarence Glover on the bench with over 5 minutes left because they couldn't handle Durrett & the game was effectively over.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

02-13-20 08:22 PM - Post#299839    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
Agreed.

And despite the great record of the '71 team, the '78 team had the best overall talent of any Penn team

The 78 team was very talented but don't sell the 71 team short. The starting lineup had two guys who made the NBA and another who became a legend in Europe The bench was Hankinson, Littlepage, Cotler and Billingslea. With the first three of those guys moving into the starting lineup they made the regional final again the next year.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

02-13-20 08:23 PM - Post#299840    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
I was a junior high schooler in NYC at that time and the greatest college game I saw live to that point was the Holiday Festival Final at the Garden between that McDaniel Western Ky team against John Roche's South Carolina team.

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1970...

Had a GO card which got me in for $2. Went to all the track meets at the Garden, big college games and WHA hockey (until it fled). This game, and the games I saw at Alumni Hall (my dad had gone back to school to get a PhD there in psych) made me a college hoops fan for life.

Cool story.

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.198 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:42 PM