Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: @ harvard        (Topic#23972)
FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
02-14-20 08:54 PM - Post#299992    

Down 27 at the half and could easily be down 37. Harvard is tough and hungry tonight. Cornell does the same thing every time down the floor and has no intensity. I think the only “set play” they have is running Boeheim out of the right corner, tried it after the time out late in the first half, Harvard was waiting. Hope they at least come out and play hard in the second but I’m not optimistic.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

Re: @ harvard
02-14-20 11:09 PM - Post#300043    
    In response to FlareScreen

Talk about getting blown out, 22 felt more like 42
A few observations…
Boeheim is a solid player but is not capable of putting a team on his back for extended periods of time.

Neither Warren or Boeheim are tough enough down low on the defensive end, better find a big tough JUCO for next season. Earl should be able to guarantee 30 per game so I hope he can find someone. They ask Warren and Boeheim to do a lot more than they are physically capable of. Yet, I cannot remember a team that has forwards bring the ball up the floor as much as Cornell.

Speaking of JUCO’s why is McCarty playing minutes at this point? Those minutes, IMO, should go to Filien, let's find out what he has as they play the same type of game. I think we have a pretty idea about McCarty over the past 1.5 years.

Noll and McBride are not point or lead guards, either give Dolan the chance to run the point or find a JUCO or hope the freshman is an absolute under-recruited stud.

I know it was against the second team but Gear was by far the best Cornell player in the second half of the game.

Earl needs to shake things up in a big way, his team got outplayed and outhustled. I would say he got outcoached but Amaker didn't have to do much coaching after the 12 minutes of the first half.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-15-20 11:37 AM - Post#300091    

Gear was impressive. 13 pts in 8 minutes, although in garbage time.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
02-15-20 12:54 PM - Post#300105    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I must be the lone member of the Terrence McBride fan club. For my money, he's a solid combo guard who defends well, has a nice handle, a quick first step and a good basketball IQ. His biggest issue is that he's not a good three point shooter and his range tops out at the mid-level J (which is a bad shot in today's game). He's not a star, but he's been Cornell's second-best player over the season and I have no issue with him getting 30 minutes a game, especially considering the rest of the roster.

That said, I am fully on board for more time for Dolan. And Filien. And Jones if he ever gets healthy.

I missed last night's game (tuned in at halftime, saw the score, watched hockey instead) but let's not get too carried away with Noah Gear having 8 good minutes in garbage time. Give him credit for still playing hard, but 12 of Gear's points came in the last 5:21 and Noll had 7 points and 3 assists (feeding Gear) during the same stretch. It would be like making Riley Voss a starter because he owned our D3 opponents. No one would be foolish enough to do that.

And if a walk-on who hasn't played in three years really is one of Cornell's best guards, Earl may want to consider insurance sales as a career option.

mountainred 
Masters Student

02-16-20 11:11 AM - Post#300346    
    In response to mountainred

The Dartmouth game isn't worth it's own thread. Boeheim injures his ankle 5 minutes in and the only question was "by how many does Dartmouth win?" Answer: 22, and the Big Green probably could have won by more if they needed to. This team without Jimmy is really dreadful.

FLBB 
Freshman

Reg: 05-19-18
02-16-20 11:32 AM - Post#300351    

As I've posted before, for Cornell to be good they need players who : 1) Could have went and played at a higher or same level coming out of high school / prep / Junior College 2) Develop to the point that after 2 years could play at a higher level than they were recruited at. Right now Boeheim is the only p[layer that fits either category. He's grown two inches and become more athletic through the weight room since entering. Earl's "confidence" in himself and his system led to him recruiting players who no one else thought could be starters at this level ..... everyone else was right.

mountainred 
Masters Student

02-16-20 01:18 PM - Post#300366    
    In response to FLBB

• FLBB Said:
As I've posted before, for Cornell to be good they need players who : 1) Could have went and played at a higher or same level coming out of high school / prep / Junior College 2) Develop to the point that after 2 years could play at a higher level than they were recruited at. Right now Boeheim is the only p[layer that fits either category. He's grown two inches and become more athletic through the weight room since entering. Earl's "confidence" in himself and his system led to him recruiting players who no one else thought could be starters at this level ..... everyone else was right.

Cornell needs better players, that's been apparent for years, but are you really claiming that Earl is deliberately avoiding higher-rated players to make a point about his system? That seems insane.

I'm not arguing that Earl is a good recruiter because the available evidence states that he isn't. But I can't believe he is deliberately making his job harder to prove some kind of point.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

02-16-20 02:49 PM - Post#300370    

Seems insane to me as well, but when you are 5-16, and you keep running the same offensive sets and playing the same players, that is insane as well. I agree McBride has had a decent year, my point is that the offensive does not play to his strengths or that of others. Your point on his shooting being a weakness is correct (25% from 3), so why put him in dribble hand-offs 20+ feet from the basket and ask him to step behind the screen and make a contested three?

Just seems to me that it is Earl’s job to design an offense that plays to the strengths of his personnel and not jam an offensive system that he ran over 20 years ago as a player down their throats.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-16-20 05:20 PM - Post#300390    

• mountainred Said:
The Dartmouth game isn't worth it's own thread. Boeheim injures his ankle 5 minutes in …

This team without Jimmy is really dreadful.

Any word on how bad the injury is? Looked like he couldn't walk after the game.

FLBB 
Freshman

02-16-20 09:01 PM - Post#300403    

• mountainred Said:
  • FLBB Said:

Cornell needs better players, that's been apparent for years, but are you really claiming that Earl is deliberately avoiding higher-rated players to make a point about his system? That seems insane.

I'm not arguing that Earl is a good recruiter because the available evidence states that he isn't. But I can't believe he is deliberately making his job harder to prove some kind of point.

What I am saying is that he has deliberately recruited players who he thought fit his system and did not pursue those he thought did not. What that has resulted in is having a bunch of great kids who are unselfish, but can't score.

mountainred 
Masters Student

02-17-20 06:31 PM - Post#300463    

• FlareScreen Said:
Seems insane to me as well, but when you are 5-16, and you keep running the same offensive sets and playing the same players, that is insane as well. I agree McBride has had a decent year, my point is that the offensive does not play to his strengths or that of others. Your point on his shooting being a weakness is correct (25% from 3), so why put him in dribble hand-offs 20+ feet from the basket and ask him to step behind the screen and make a contested three?

Just seems to me that it is Earl’s job to design an offense that plays to the strengths of his personnel and not jam an offensive system that he ran over 20 years ago as a player down their throats.

I'll agree that Earl is not be maximizing the offensive potential of this team, but worrying about that misses two bigger issues IMHO:

1) Without better shooters or a decent post presence, the offense is capped by their limited talent no matter what they run; and (more importantly)

2) As dicey as the offense is, the defense is far worse. Seriously, the offense is a C-, but the defense is, at best, a D. In four of the last five games, the team has given up more than 1.2 points per possession. That, quite frankly, blows.

Maybe Earl is actively passing on better players because they don't fit "his system," but the cleaner explanation is probably just that he is not a good recruiter. He isn't winning recruiting battles with other D1 programs and/or he is a poor judge of which players can make the jump to D1.

I hope some of the frosh make a jump next season, but if not, Cornell shouldn't renew Earl's contract. Which is probably something the three of us who post on this Cornell board would agree on.

TL/DR: We need better players and if Earl can't recruit them we need to find someone who can.

FLBB 
Freshman

02-17-20 07:16 PM - Post#300465    

Yes, the talent level that Earl inherited was significantly better than the present level.

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-17-20 08:34 PM - Post#300470    
    In response to FLBB

• FLBB Said:

What I am saying is that he has deliberately recruited players who he thought fit his system and did not pursue those he thought did not. What that has resulted in is having a bunch of great kids who are unselfish, but can't score.

The more charitable interpretation is that he knows that he can't beat HYPP for athletes straight up. His only chance is to develop a "system" to win against his conference rivals. Dartmouth is in the same boat.

It's comparable to a football coach at a school with less resources than his conference foes that opts to implement a triple-option offense. IF you can get the right guys, then you've got a fighting chance to win.

mountainred 
Masters Student

02-19-20 09:58 AM - Post#300648    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
  • FLBB Said:

The more charitable interpretation is that he knows that he can't beat HYPP for athletes straight up. His only chance is to develop a "system" to win against his conference rivals. Dartmouth is in the same boat.

It's comparable to a football coach at a school with less resources than his conference foes that opts to implement a triple-option offense. IF you can get the right guys, then you've got a fighting chance to win.

Charity is in short supply after last weekend.

Seriously, I'm not sure running a variant of the Princeton offense is different enough, especially in the league where Princeton plays, for this to work. Bill Courtney's stated plan of 40 minutes of pressure might have been different enough, but he never really committed to it (among other issues).

FLBB 
Freshman

02-19-20 02:50 PM - Post#300700    

Whatever system / plan you implement is not going to be successful if your opponent's players are significantly better than yours. Ask Roy Williams, did he suddenly forget how to coach? Courtney had better players than Earl but his teams lacked offensive fundamentals, shot selection, and team play.

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-19-20 06:34 PM - Post#300749    
    In response to FLBB

• FLBB Said:
Whatever system / plan you implement is not going to be successful if your opponent's players are significantly better than yours.

Is that right?

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Take-Strong-Bas ketbal...

FLBB 
Freshman

02-19-20 08:32 PM - Post#300764    
    In response to Go Green

I've read the book a couple of times. Carril had as good if not better talent than the rest of the Ivy league for most of his career at Princeton. Yes, he beat power teams which had more talent than he did, but what I am talking about is doing it night in and night out. He says himself in the book that he would "have lost 100 more games if the opposing coach had told his players, "look throw the ball up to the basket and go get it" . Instead they tried to outsmart us by playing exactly the way we did" That doesn't happen as much anymore.

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-20-20 11:40 AM - Post#300831    
    In response to FLBB

• FLBB Said:
He says himself in the book that he would "have lost 100 more games if the opposing coach had told his players, "look throw the ball up to the basket and go get it" . Instead they tried to outsmart us by playing exactly the way we did" That doesn't happen as much anymore.

I wonder if that's the reason why Joe Scott lost so many games at Princeton.

FLBB 
Freshman

02-20-20 01:55 PM - Post#300857    
    In response to Go Green

Carmody is the perfect example of having to have players....he had a higher winning % in the Ivy than Carril did (89%!!), but when he took the system with him to Northwestern he never had a winning B10 record in 13 years and had a career winning % of 32% in league play.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.326 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:56 AM