Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn        (Topic#23989)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
02-15-20 11:10 PM - Post#300301    

Well that was brutal. Atkinson had a fine game, but he missed a fair number of layups that he normally would hit. Swain was poor - 13 points is fine, taking 18 shots to do it is not. Jordan Bruner was unconscionably bad, with 6 points, no assists, and 4 turnovers against a team that doesn't have a single guy who should be able to guard him (other than Brodeur, but they really can't spare him). I know he's playing hurt, but he was playing hurt last night and was fine.

Credit to Penn, they played well and defended at an extremely high level, but Yale settled for jumpers way too easily.

I suppose if you had to split the road trip, you'd prefer it this way rather than the reverse, given the standings. But if Yale wants the IL championship, they've got no further room for error. They can probably afford one more loss and still get it and they've still got to go to Lavietes (where I'm sure Harvard will shoot 125% from three despite not being able to shoot against any other teams).

Getting that 5 point lead and then letting Penn go up 6 late was just an absolutely unacceptable performance from a team that can absolutely do better. I would normally complain about that bush-league layup at the end but the way you avoid that as a team is by not putting yourself in that position in the first place.

I would expect a higher level of effort from Yale next weekend, and playing not-Brodeur will help Yale's offense tremendously. I remain optimistic about this team, but they really need to tighten things up - they've been really lackadaisical on defense in 4 of their last 6 games and they just can't afford to do that against good teams.

On to Cornell.

Edited by iogyhufi on 02-15-20 11:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
02-21-20 10:54 PM - Post#301174    
    In response to iogyhufi

you seem to overdignify Yale’s talent, the margin, the difficulty of back to backs. And bruner playing on one leg.

the defense is suffering from this as he isn’t blocking shots like he did against more talented opponents.

As I watch Cornell, a game yale is lucky to win, bruner is lumping in part due to this brace

He also has a triple double despite missing his 3s. He has played incredible on one leg except penn.

I think the back to backs are brutal for him.

Atkinson and the team struggles at the line.

and they are taking shots. when I played at Yale we beat a ranking Princeton team and took a ranked penn team to the wire...ranked teams! And we were like Cornell now

The discrepancy in talent is low and back to backs w heavy scouting is a war. It’s a shame to see bruner lose his explosiveness.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-22-20 12:16 AM - Post#301181    
    In response to james

I don't mean to imply that Yale is way way better than the rest of the teams in the league, just that they struggled with a lot of avoidable things. This league is absolutely a meat grinder and sometimes you just gotta win ugly.

Tonight, Yale allowed Cornell to dictate basically everything. They got beat back-door over and over again, they let Cornell's defensive pressure get to them, they took the shots that Cornell wanted them to take. Again, other teams also get to play the game and they can play very well, but I think Yale wasn't expecting such a stalwart effort from Cornell and needed a while to get their feet underneath them. They were incredibly fortunate to win this, but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Credit to Cornell for stepping up in Boeheim's absence and playing a tremendous game. However, I think Yale needs to toughen up for the stretch run. If Bruner can heal up before then, that would definitely help. His current injury is relatively minor and unrelated to his chronic problems (or so I hear), so it's possible that he can manage that.

james 
Masters Student

02-22-20 12:13 PM - Post#301204    
    In response to iogyhufi

when you have 4 knee surgeries and play back to backs then any residual issue is chronic.

and it ain’t going away in back to backs.

He just got a triple double from the 4 spot! Effing incredible
Now way that has been done before at Yale

Cornell ran some semblance of the Princeton offense from 1998 last night. It was beautiful. And they hit shots. The Princeton team finished top ten in the AP in 1998 but they hated playing the pesky Yale bulldogs!

When you defend the 3 aggressively you open up the back door.

really liked their offense. Pretty. I don’t like earl bc he kicked my butt 6/8 games in college
So he and Mitch can take their due now

also tht Cornell did a hell of a job slowing down Yale’s offense. Putting bruner in the middle helped but the weak press/matchup defense was effective

Bulldogs also just missed shots. 2 games in a row

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-22-20 01:17 PM - Post#301215    
    In response to james

Actually, I saw in Yale's game recap that not only is that the first triple double that Yale's ever gotten from the four spot, but also the first triple double in Yale history and the third ever in Ivy play!

james 
Masters Student

02-22-20 03:19 PM - Post#301239    
    In response to iogyhufi

Yea. Historical

Now you have Columbia after double overtime and a 5 hr bus trip.

and acky knees. Should be interesting.

Rest of the IL (aside from Cornell columbia)benefits from the schedule change next year I believe though hArd to prove it mathematically

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-22-20 05:36 PM - Post#301247    
    In response to james

Actually, the deeper teams don’t benefit. Crimson often have the deepest roster while Coach Jones tends to play a 7-8 man rotation. Of course, injuries impact that.

james 
Masters Student

02-22-20 05:53 PM - Post#301248    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

if you have played Cornell/Columbia then ridden 5 hrs on a bus to play columbia/Cornell the next night then you wld understand the comment.

There is no trip that compares to that difficulty. I don’t give a damn what ur roster is I feel its an advantage to anyone who no longer has to do it.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-22-20 06:23 PM - Post#301250    
    In response to james

Wasn’t disagreeing with you. I was just suggesting that any games on consecutive nights calls upon one’s depth

james 
Masters Student

02-22-20 08:56 PM - Post#301340    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Brown agrees with me. Ouch.

Cornell found something last night even essentially w/o top 2 players contributing. It’s like their spacing has opened up a 2 point game like princeton of old made more effective by the 3 ball accuracy.

tonight it was 5 guys + the 5 hr bus pummels a hot brown team.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
02-22-20 09:00 PM - Post#301343    
    In response to james

McBride had a fantastic weekend for them, with 27 last night and 17 tonight on 6/7 from the field

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-22-20 09:01 PM - Post#301344    
    In response to welcometothejungle

McBride for POW - easily

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-22-20 10:49 PM - Post#301457    
    In response to james

I think I'll rescind my frustration with last night now. Cornell looked really good against Brown. I'm sure the long drive didn't help, but that was an old-fashioned butt whooping right there. Happy for Brian Earl, that he's managed to help his team come together in Ivy League play after a disastrous noncon slate.

james 
Masters Student

02-22-20 10:56 PM - Post#301460    
    In response to iogyhufi

Phuk Brian earl, Princeton Cornell and Mitch Henderson

But that said, cornell figured something out along with the nightmare bus ride.

It’s like a poor mans princeton ‘98 without the aforesaid earl, Henderson, and Goodrich -all effing studs which is painful to admit—-but after that some uncannily similar looking dudes 22 yrs later!!!

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
02-25-20 04:55 PM - Post#301725    
    In response to iogyhufi

• iogyhufi Said:
I think I'll rescind my frustration with last night now. Cornell looked really good against Brown. I'm sure the long drive didn't help, but that was an old-fashioned butt whooping right there. Happy for Brian Earl, that he's managed to help his team come together in Ivy League play after a disastrous noncon slate.

They did, but man have they looked bad on the road.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.235 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:18 AM