Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: [cricket sound]        (Topic#24)
The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
11-22-04 04:35 PM - Post#127    

OK, how about that Harvard women's team? They can't elicit any less discussion than the men. Crimson fans will be dismayed to learn that I am picking Harvard to win the league this year, since my predictions are usually about as accurate as those of 10Q. (I picked Harvard last year, for example.)

My reasoning is simple: First, in this league you usually win with a dominant senior, and second, I can't see Harvard having two disappointing seasons in a row. Dartmouth, with Elise Morrison, will mount a strong challenge, and the next two years are probably theirs, but Reka Cserny and the Crimson will hold on this year in a tight race.

In my usual sanguine way, I wanted to pick Columbia to have their first winning season, but I just couldn't get the numbers to work out right. Penn is still strong, though the double loss of Jewel Clark and Coach Greenberg will leave them regrouping (yes, Columbia has a new coach too, but in their case, the old one had stayed too long, whereas at Penn she was just starting to peak), and Brown was tough all last year, so I can't see Columbia finishing ahead of either of them, even with Altman back.

So here's what we're looking at:

Harvard 12-2
Dartmouth 11-3
Brown 8-6
Penn 8-6
Columbia 7-7
Yale 5-9
Cornell 3-11
Princeton 2-12

As usual, I make these predictions secure in the knowledge that by the end of the season (hell, by the end of this week) no one will remember that I made them.

oldtimeRudyL 

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: [cricket sound]
11-22-04 04:45 PM - Post#128    
    In response to The Lion King

King,

Strangely enough, your reasoning appears to be sound. I think that you have the groupings right. Harvard and Dartmouth, followed by Brown/Penn/Columbia in some order. The key for Dartmouth will be to stay healthy (they don't have any depth) and out of foul trouble.

Harvard is always tough and well-coached, so they are not a bad pick. I believe that your Lionesses will pick up some key wins against Penn, maybe Dartmouth and maybe even one against Harvard.

Anonymous 

11-23-04 05:25 PM - Post#129    
    In response to oldtimeRudyL

I'm biased, of course, but I see Morrision and company winning the first of what could be several titles...

Dartmouth is currently in its longest Ivy title drought since...well, pretty much ever. Burnham and Librizzi were the first two four-year Dartmouth players to graduate without a title since 1980 or thereabouts. I wouldn't count on it happening again.

Also, I think Yale isn't getting enough credit. Erica Davis is a real threat down low. Expect to see her go at it with Morrison for the next three years.

-The Ghost

StanfordHarvard 
StanfordHarvard
Loc: 13,500 miles from Harvard...
Reg: 11-22-04
11-26-04 02:05 PM - Post#130    
    In response to The Lion King

Harvard and Dartmouth are going to be a close call after all. But what are the strengths and weaknesses of Harvard now? I just got lost again because Pejito has graduated already and they only have unknowns left...

Anonymous 

11-26-04 06:52 PM - Post#131    
    In response to StanfordHarvard

The biggest strength for them has to be Reka Cserny. She's big, surprisingly athletic (looking at her, you expect her to be awkward as all hell), and she has three-point range. An absolute nightmare to defend against. It'll be interesting to see how effective she is without Peljto, though...having two great weapons together on the court made it damn near impossible for the defenses to cover all the bases. Someone on Harvard will need to establish herself as a big enough threat that Cserny will see a lot of single coverage.

-The Ghost

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.229 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:17 AM