Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: All-Ivy Teams        (Topic#24040)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
02-24-20 04:50 PM - Post#301662    

I was browsing through KenPom this morning and noticed his All-League team feature. I can't find any write-up of what factors he uses to include people, but I'd assume it's some sort of amalgamation of performance metrics to determine who's played the best.

Anyway, here's his all-Ivy first team:
Paul Atkinson (PoY)
AJ Brodeur
Jordan Bruner
Chris Knight
Mike Smith

Obviously this isn't going to be what the real all-Ivy first team looks like - three of the possible tournament teams got shut out!

I recall a discussion about this earlier this year and also last year: the IL awards seem to be at somewhat biased towards successful teams. Do we like this? I think I dislike it, at least to a certain extent. After all, it's not Mike Smith's fault that Columbia isn't very good this year. By the same token, though, it seems like rewarding players simply for greater opportunity doesn't sit quite right with me - maybe if Kirkwood had to take the same proportion of shots as Knight does, he'd be putting up bigger numbers.

Here's my too-early picks for the IL teams, based on my subjective opinions and some quick stat-glancing:

First Team:
Paul Atkinson (PoY)
AJ Brodeur
Mike Smith
Jaelin Llewellyn
Azar Swain

Second Team:
Brandon Anderson
Chris Lewis
Devon Goodman
Noah Kirkwood
Chris Knight

HM:
Terrence McBride
Richmond Aririguzoh
Jordan Bruner
Tamenang Choh
Jordan Dingle (RoY)

Please feel free to let me know why all of these opinions are bad/if I've managed to forget somebody obvious (which I can never rule out as a possibility)!

Edited by iogyhufi on 02-24-20 05:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-24-20 04:51 PM - Post#301663    
    In response to iogyhufi

These picks are also in no particular order, lest anyone be concerned about that.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
02-24-20 05:11 PM - Post#301665    
    In response to iogyhufi

Quibbling but I'd probably put Anderson on the first team over Llewellyn, but that's a close call. And I think there's an argument for Juzang as HM/3rd team, though I'm not sure who gets removed from that list.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: All-Ivy Teams
02-24-20 06:54 PM - Post#301677    
    In response to iogyhufi

A lot will depend on who wins the title, as you mention. This will impact a couple things. The obvious one is that it'll impact who gets First Team and who wins POY. The secondary effect is it might impact how many players make HM. That's because after you sort out First and Second Team based on the voting, any players left that got 2 points or more (coaches vote a First and Second Team and each player on those gets 2pts and 1pt, respectively) make Honorable Mention. If a team like Yale wins the title and brings two clear First Teamers with it, that could leave less randomness in the voting that would generate more HMs. If a team like Harvard wins the title with, umm, Kirkwood (?), Lewis (?) as maybe First Teamers, you could see more wide open voting.

In general I agree you have the right players, and it's hard to quibble with the positioning. It's possible we have some ties that expand First or Second Team, but that Honorable Mention list seems a touch large right now.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: All-Ivy Teams
02-24-20 07:08 PM - Post#301681    
    In response to mrjames

Oh, I didn't know that that's how HM worked! Well in that case, McBride and Dingle are probably longer shots to make it; I could see Bruner, Choh, and Aririguzoh all getting a vote or two.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-24-20 07:33 PM - Post#301683    
    In response to iogyhufi

If Penn finishes in 5th place I can't imagine they are getting 3 players on this list. Dev is a likely casualty of a late season dive.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-24-20 11:21 PM - Post#301698    
    In response to PennFan10

I would expect Goodman to be ahead of Dingle for all-Ivy. Senior, better defender, etc. My guess is Dev is a 2nd teamer, but I could see HM. Can’t imagine he’s shut out. So if Penn doesn’t get 3 on the list, I think Dingle is the casualty (he gets ROY, I think, so he should be recognized).

PennFan10 
Postdoc

02-25-20 12:37 AM - Post#301701    
    In response to SomeGuy

I was only saying Dingle would get ROY and AJ 1st team. I think we get nothing else. Maybe Dev HM.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
02-25-20 01:30 AM - Post#301703    
    In response to PennFan10

As of now:
First Team: Swain
Atkinson
Smith
Anderson
Llewelyn
Second Team: Brodeur
Bruner
Kirkwood
Knight
Arirogouza
Honorable Mention- McBride
Lewis

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
02-25-20 08:38 PM - Post#301747    
    In response to LocalTiger

I think I'd go with:

1st team:
Atkinson (POY)
Brodeur
Swain
Smith
Anderson

2nd team:
Knight
Kirkwood
Llewellyn
Goodman
Lewis

HM:
Aririguzoh
Dingle
Bassey

Love Llewellyn's game a lot but I think his percentages still aren't quite there (if the layups ever stop rimming out they'd look a lot better), and from previous year it seems like seniors tend to get rewarded so I think Anderson gets the nod ahead of him.

Knight also has a good 1st team argument, and I wouldn't be shocked if he gets there or if there's a tie and more than 5 guys end up on the first team.

Similarly could see ties on the 2nd team getting RA a spot there, there's just too many talented big men in the league this season.

Outside of my list, I think Bruner, McBride, Juzang, Choh are all worthy of recognition as well

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-26-20 11:43 AM - Post#301786    
    In response to welcometothejungle

I’ll hold off until the last four games are played, but as of now I think Bruner is a first teamer, and I could see Yale having 3. I think Monroe will manage HM as well.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

02-26-20 02:38 PM - Post#301829    
    In response to SomeGuy

Once the last 4 games are played we'll have the Coaches opinions and ours won't matter much. Why don't you avoid the March Madness rush and weigh in now.

The choices for the last couple spots on the 1st team are going to be competitive and likely will depend on the last 4 games.

I think the 1st Team Locks are:

Atkinson
Brodeur
Anderson

The last 2 spots will be among:
Bruner
Kirkwood
Llewelyn
Smith
Swain

If Yale wins the regular season, They will get one of those last two I would think. Princeton's finish will determine where JL ends up. Some tough choices.

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-26-20 04:50 PM - Post#301849    
    In response to PennFan10

I don’t think Anderson is a lock. He looked great at Penn, of course, but he’s a sub 100 ORAT guy who scores because he shoots a lot. If Brown makes the tourney, that will help, but to me Anderson is well behind Smith if I’m focusing on who scores a lot.

I think Atkinson and Brodeur are the only locks. Yes, I think Brodeur is a lock even if Penn fails to make the tournament, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he even wins POY regardless in what LocalTiger will see as a lifetime achievement award. In a great class that turned out have lots of injuries and defections, you have a guy who going into the final four games of his career has never missed a start or, if I understand correctly, a practice. LocalTiger can call him a compiler, but I think he is the type of compiler that coaches may go out of their way to recognize.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-26-20 05:52 PM - Post#301860    
    In response to SomeGuy

First Team:
Paul Atkinson (PoY)
AJ Brodeur
Mike Smith
Jaelin Llewellyn
Azar Swain

Second Team:
Brandon Anderson
Chris Lewis
Devon Goodman
Noah Kirkwood
Chris Knight

HM:
Terrence McBride
Richmond Aririguzoh
Jordan Bruner
Tamenang Choh

POY: Smith
ROY: Dingle
DOY: Bassey

- Smith is the most important player to his team, plays more minutes, and scores more than anyone else.
- Brodeur is fading, largely because he is asked to do everything for his team (score, pass, rebound, block shots). He's had some poor performances in meaningful games.
- Bruner's knee is limiting him. Some nights Bruner, Aririzugoh, and Choh just don't contribute.
- Harvard is winning with defense and rebounding, and Bassey is the cornerstone of those efforts.
- Lewis and Knight do more than Aririzugoh has been doing.
- Anderson, Llewellyn and Swain are the cornerstone of their squad's relative successes. Goodman is but to a lesser extent.
- Kirkwood has succeeded Towns and Aiken as Harvard's go to guy.

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-26-20 07:29 PM - Post#301865    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Ok, you convinced me.

1st team:
Brodeur
Atkinson
Bruner
Swain
Lewis

2nd team:
Smith
Knight
Goodman
Anderson
Aririgozuh

HM:
Llewellyn
Boeheim
Hunsaker
Choh
Kirkwood

POY: Brodeur
ROY: Dingle
DPY: Bassey

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-26-20 07:36 PM - Post#301866    
    In response to SomeGuy

Convinced you of what?

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-26-20 07:50 PM - Post#301867    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Sorry — PennFan10 said not to wait until the season is done to make our guesses. He convinced me, and then your list further inspired me.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-26-20 08:23 PM - Post#301869    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Ok, you convinced me.

2nd team:
Smith
Knight
Goodman
Anderson
Aririgozuh

Happy to see someone put Aririguzoh second team. I don't see the others play much, but I know Princeton would be nowhere without him.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

All-Ivy Teams
02-26-20 10:05 PM - Post#301874    
    In response to SomeGuy

Brodeur is a nice player but no way he gets POY if the Quakers don’t make the tournament.

Edited by TigerFan on 02-26-20 10:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-26-20 10:09 PM - Post#301875    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Actually, Lewis and Aririzugoh in conference have similar stats, with Lewis possibly having the edge with more scoring, blocks, steals, less TO's. Aririzugoh only has an edge in rebounds, but not necessarily since his first two vs Penn.

How can Aririzugoh average .2 blocks per game in conference?

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.142 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:54 AM