Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Username Post: Penn/Princeton II        (Topic#24062)
james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
02-29-20 11:45 AM - Post#302324    
    In response to PennFan10

Yale has a tradition of not playing well on senior night. This whole ivy madness thing in recent years can also be a let down.

For the record you are on our board. If you have it bring it. but we don’t cry around here.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-29-20 11:46 AM - Post#302325    
    In response to PennFan10

The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that the quality of the officiating in the Ivies is not good. So, in any game the fans of each team will likely find a few calls to legitimately beef about ... and a few more that fan prejudice will see either way.. there are a few fans who see the vast majority of bad or close calls as being against their team. They will find beefs no matter how good the officiating.

The real problem, if one exists, is that the Ivies are not getting the most respected callers. How does the League address that problem?🐅

james 
Masters Student

02-29-20 11:48 AM - Post#302326    
    In response to james

For the record I thought penn looked fantastic last night for 38.5 mins last night.

And they can beat anyone playing like that.

Yale needs to find another gear and consistently. They are taking shots to the chin.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
02-29-20 11:52 AM - Post#302327    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that the quality of the officiating in the Ivies is not good.

welcometothejungle posted this on the Penn site:

2 of the 3 officials from this game tonight are regular high major officials. One flew in from LA after doing USC-Arizona last night and last Saturday was in Waco for a game between the top 2 teams in the country. The other does a couple Big Ten games a week in addition to Ivy and MAAC games in the northeast. Where are these new, higher profile officials going to come from? The NBA?

james 
Masters Student

02-29-20 11:58 AM - Post#302329    
    In response to james

I watched the last 5 mins again. I found the calls remarkably consistent. They let both teams play and that was evidenced when Atkinson got bodied hard twice.

I also didn’t bitch and moan abt the penn state loss which was similar for Yale if not as dramatic. and we all know big a deal that was for the league looking back.

If you want to finish a high level d 1 game under pressure you have to bring it. Good job refs.

james 
Masters Student

02-29-20 12:06 PM - Post#302331    
    In response to james

you seldom will hear a former player or coach blame a ref for any loss even as an aside.

There are exceptions. Last years Memphis-yale game. But I won’t be specific as to which coach.

And it included a full court press for 40 mins and 5? Yale kids fouling out while not pressing.

A buzzer beating 4 point play to get to overtime etc etc

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
Penn/Princeton II
02-29-20 12:30 PM - Post#302333    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

The Ivy League's officials get a bad rap because of what happens on Saturday nights, not Friday nights. Fridays, since no other leagues play, the Ivies get the full-timers from the Big East and ACC who'll take the game before moving on to somewhere else the next night. Saturdays, they get part-timers who maybe have worked an NEC game or two.

The officials were definitely high-caliber last night. I think basketball officials have a tougher time than in other sports because of the nature of the game. In football, play stops and starts and there are 7 officials per game. In basketball, play goes on constantly and there are but three officials, all of whom can only watch so many things at once. But that's part of the game too. As long as the game is called relatively equitably for both teams, that's all you can really ask for. That's why the best officials tend to call fewer fouls rather than more - because you can't see everything and you'll end up making more bad calls than good if you're jumping at shadows all the time.

Basically every screen AJ Brodeur set last night was a foul by the letter of the law. He was always moving a little, hip-checking a little, bumping the defender with his shoulder a little. But the refs decided to keep the whistles stowed, so Brodeur knew that he could get away with it. Penn played very physical defense last night - to their credit - and Yale mostly didn't until the very end. Smart teams adjust to how the game is being called just like smart batters adjust to how the ump is calling balls and strikes.

Edited by iogyhufi on 02-29-20 12:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

james 
Masters Student

02-29-20 12:38 PM - Post#302336    
    In response to iogyhufi

The Yale offense is getting bogged down also through a smart physical brand of defense.

the screening for them wasn’t particularly physical and they couldn’t free swain much outside the arc.

It was a sharp contrast to what you note abt penn/brodeur.

And reflects scouting. Not having an oni type creator is a bit of an issue when the opposition is allowed to be physical and you don’t match it. Swain was pushed inside the arc on highly contested shots leading to a forgettable level of efficiency.

But i agree that’s an adjustment the boys need to make in game

james 
Masters Student

02-29-20 01:02 PM - Post#302338    
    In response to james

Hopefully the refs “manufacture” another win for Yale tonight!
and a couple more when it matters.

To offset the penn st and Memphis losses.

We need all the damn help we can get taking these shots to the chin

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-29-20 01:23 PM - Post#302341    
    In response to james

Some of this is probably just bad luck. Devin Goodman is a career 32% three-point shooter who was shooting 29% on the year before tonight. He set a Penn record for three-point efficiency in a single game by going 6-7 last night, including a truly preposterous stepback to put them up 10. I mean, what do you even do about that? It was like when Brodeur went 3-4 from 3 against Yale - bad shooters inexplicably making shots (although Yale's lax defense certainly did them no favors).

james 
Masters Student

02-29-20 01:29 PM - Post#302342    
    In response to iogyhufi

I watched a lot of the non conf and just don’t remember bigger guards who were “hot” getting so open. StatisticAlly there has be luck reversal as noted by others

But the eye test was tough.

Now some of this had to do with brodeur setting illegal screens, making it hard to get over the top (somewhat kidding somewhat)

And some of it is just brodeur was awesome. Ball fakes illegal screens, left hand, right hand spin cycle moves, and incredible floor spacing for shooters.

Goodman is quicker than our 1/2’s so when he is hitting he also has the cut open due to spacing and he is putting us on skates

james 
Masters Student

02-29-20 01:34 PM - Post#302343    
    In response to james

I wldve doubled Brodeur more at the jump in the post Bc he was creating a breach in the defensive wall and used angles to limit open 3s pushing the hard reversal but it’s easier said than done

and with the hot shooting I understand that would’ve been playing w fire when it got going. But I would go into it with that respect for him in the post

But Cornell and penn force bruner or Atkinson away from rim which negates help side rim protection if you overplay

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-29-20 02:50 PM - Post#302356    
    In response to james

Perhaps I misspoke about the current level of officiating.🤔 My observation was dated. If so, then we simply have a few passionate fans who let their observations be impaired by their loyalties. The very nature and speed of play makes accurate calls very difficult. Even after reviews there are often disagreements. Only clearly inaccurate calls are settled by review. Like it or not, we will always have to accept a few controversial judgment calls.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-29-20 04:49 PM - Post#302372    
    In response to PennFan10

Elis: if you are listening, take it easy tonight. The Tourney is what’s important. Play all those deserving seniors who haven’t had much court time over the past three years. You have Princeton’s number. So, rest up your troops. And, watch out next weekend. Have a nice Day!😁🐅

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-29-20 05:40 PM - Post#302379    
    In response to Tiger69

Heh. A friend of mine and I were chatting earlier today and we both realized that this game has huge implications for Yale's title run (and the race for the 1 seed, since Yale would lose the tiebreaker to Princeton by virtue of their loss to Penn).

A win puts you in "split next week and you're champs" territory. A loss puts you in "sweep or you're probably the 3 seed" territory.

james 
Masters Student

02-29-20 06:39 PM - Post#302387    
    In response to iogyhufi

Leonard Hamilton of fsu is all class. That was a bad cAll and made a big difference in the outcome

james 
Masters Student

03-01-20 01:24 AM - Post#302494    
    In response to james

nice.

james 
Masters Student

03-01-20 01:30 AM - Post#302495    
    In response to james

Get your broom out and sweep the JLA floor.

Didn’t close the game well. But I hope the annoying bench warmers clapping for Jordan bruners jumpers in the 1st half enjoy the ride back to Princeton on their crappy bus.

We have to get better but I will take it.

james 
Masters Student

03-01-20 01:35 AM - Post#302496    
    In response to james

Their guards outplayed us badly

But Atkinson and bruner destroyed their big man. Thank god

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Penn/Princeton II
03-01-20 01:37 AM - Post#302497    
    In response to james

Very solid effort tonight, but there was a lot to improve upon. Yale once again settled for too many bad shots upon seeing itself presented with stalwart defense. Gotta get that cleaned up this week in practice. The defense was far far better tonight than last night, though.

Princeton looked like a much better team this time around, but hoo boy Aririguzoh. He's got 6 total points against Yale and one (1) total field goal made - and that one was a transition layup! Atkinson just ate his lunch over and over again. I thought that the decision to play Desrosiers extended minutes at the 5 was a canny move by Henderson. If Aririguzoh isn't giving you anything, might as well put somebody in who can punish Atkinson on the other end. Atkinson didn't get *too* many looks against that defense (I expect the coaches will gameplan for that for next time now that they have it on film), which has to change.

Swain had a brutal weekend, but he's a good player, so I'm sure he'll come back ready to play next weekend.

Mitch Henderson continues to compete for the "most demonstrably upset about officiating that still benefits him on net" award.

Now a win next weekend gets you a ring. Two gets you the one seed.

Edited by iogyhufi on 03-01-20 01:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.2 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:04 PM