Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Dartmouth/Harvard II        (Topic#24092)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-02-20 03:22 PM - Post#302719    

As an older generation might say, they don't ask how, just how many. As a younger one might say, it's all about the W. Nevertheless, the sweep this past weekend wasn't pretty, but it did put Yale in the catbird seat. Yale just needs one win for a share of the Ivy title, and needs two wins (or a win and a Harvard loss) for a solo title.

Leede has been kind to Yale in recent years, and I have no particular reason to think that this trip will be different. Dartmouth has been playing very well, but it seems like Dartmouth just doesn't match up very well with Yale for whatever reason and Chris Knight will find his opposing number a little tougher to score on than his matchups from last weekend.

As for Harvard, I'm eager to see how they match up with Yale this go around. My prayers are with Christian Juzang; I saw his injury and it looked fairly brutal. Juzang had 9 assists in the H-Y game at JLA, and I suspect that that production will be sorely missed.

Let's get two and prep for the tourney.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: Dartmouth/Harvard II
03-04-20 03:53 PM - Post#303003    
    In response to iogyhufi

I was just thinking about this today - in the month of February, Yale has the 299th-ranked d3P% nationally, thanks in part to sloppy defense in the early goings leading to hot shooters making low-percentage shots later on (bad defense leads to bad luck - I might owe mrjames an apology ).

Key for Dartmouth and Harvard both will be the ability to make those shots. When Yale has struggled recently, it's usually been due to far-above-usual shooting from players or teams (e.g., Goodman, Djuricic, Baker, Brodeur, etc.) If Yale can tamp down those outside shots, then I think they're in very good position this weekend and going forward.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-04-20 04:03 PM - Post#303005    
    In response to iogyhufi

• iogyhufi Said:

Leede has been kind to Yale in recent years

Leede will always have 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbxOfmfbxqg

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-20 04:14 PM - Post#303008    
    In response to iogyhufi

Another way of saying it is that not all 3 point shots are the same. Bad shooters usually take bad shots. If you are giving them good shots, they're not necessarily going to shoot to the same percentage as they had been going in.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-04-20 04:38 PM - Post#303012    
    In response to palestra38

I'd agree with that. Part of the problem, in my view, was Yale going under lots of screens and also neglecting to close out hard to guys who were taking threes. Shots with no hand in the face and no hard closeout are shootaround shots. To paraphrase James Jones, "he may not be a shooter, but he's a Division 1 basketball player, and if you give him all day, he's gonna knock it down."

Gotta match the other team's intensity if you wanna win in this league - Yale showed that they're capable of that in the last 100 seconds on Saturday, but they gotta do it for a full 40 minutes if they want to go anywhere.

Edited by iogyhufi on 03-04-20 04:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
03-04-20 09:26 PM - Post#303037    
    In response to iogyhufi

I agree.

I am not sure what is going on in this lull. I do feel shooters are running more open than I remember in non conf.

But maybe that’s also personnel and matchups.

Who else plays 2 true bigs? Harvard?

Bruner can move well. But he also likes to board so not sure that tension isn’t hurting him a bit. And I also believe his knees is an issue though I liked what I saw from him in terms of movement this weekend

And didn’t see a brace

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-06-20 10:03 PM - Post#303318    
    In response to james

Thank you, Eric Monroe. He, Cotton, and Yess picked up for another substandard Swain game and what was probably Atkinson's weakest performance of the conference season (mostly due to Knight - what a player!).

Also, a tip of the hat to Mike Martin for making it official tonight. Solo Ivy champs for the first time since 2016.

Beat Harvard.

james 
Masters Student

03-06-20 10:29 PM - Post#303325    
    In response to iogyhufi

Knight and rai are very nice players. They drove and or posted hard and finished over length which I was surprised by. But the defense inside was fine/solid. Better o by those two. Atkinson doesn’t play vertical but has incredibly quick feet even on defense.

But the 3 point defense was stifling which was clearly the game plan.

And Dartmouth forced an outside in game which Yale won.

Maybe it doesn’t matter anymore but 4/6 is staggering. Atkinsons game was abt on par with my career best and I started as a sophomore

Good times but need to keep the pedal down which is difficult.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-06-20 10:36 PM - Post#303327    
    In response to james

Congrats on the Ivy championship.

For those of us not enamored of the Ivy tournament but with teams ready to benefit from it, our condolences in advance should they be necessary. But we still hope to be able to offer them.

james 
Masters Student

03-06-20 10:52 PM - Post#303328    
    In response to SRP

It’s a tough deal for sure.

But no matter what transpires the program is on solid footing which following oni’s early departure and what was lost last year is a hell of an accomplishment if only small consolation

In this format

And maybe guarantees in NIT

james 
Masters Student

03-08-20 01:21 AM - Post#303568    
    In response to james

Well that was rough. Hopefully it lights a fire under their butt bc they are going to need it.

Brodeur is another zone right now. Poy

But perplexing even on the road and after clinching. It’s Harvard who played like the team that was 0-8 in the regular season.

Both Harvard and penn are defending Yale similarly. I think Harvard has a particularly good matchup when bassey plays out of his mind even with the injuries they still have an army.

And penn has brodeur. you could put 4 midgets out there w him and they would be tough. Obviously they have some real talent around him that plays Yale well.

Yale has to figure out some separation on offense to beat penn.

and how good would Harvard be without injuries or he’ll just one? Strangely maybe no better against Yale. They all look like heroes against the elis

james 
Masters Student

03-08-20 01:25 AM - Post#303569    
    In response to james

self imposed intl quarantine and the season finale drives my post count.

That was fun. Not the game

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Dartmouth/Harvard II
03-08-20 07:45 AM - Post#303574    
    In response to james

Yes, if you are in self imposed quarantine, not much to do but watch your team and post. Wait....we do that anyway.

Congrats to the Bulldogs, er, Elis. They get the banner.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-08-20 09:35 AM - Post#303592    
    In response to palestra38

I was in New York with the better half last night and I was forbidden from checking the score. Looks like she did me a favor. From the box score, I'd guess that Yale once again saw Harvard's defensive pressure and acted like they'd never seen the like before.

Yale's got some soul-searching to do before next weekend. If they have another game like that, then the next game they play will be on the campus of some mediocre Power 5 school while somebody else goes dancing.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.224 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:56 AM