Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 15 1234>» Last
Username Post: Ivy League Events & COVID-19        (Topic#24121)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-07-20 04:32 PM - Post#303423    

There were comments earlier on the Harvard Board about new rules regarding on-campus events. I posted updated information from the university and athletic department on that thread.

I am putting event policies here for all 8 schools. I figure its better to put these comments on the main league board instead of the individual schoos.

Feel free to comment or update as things change.

Brown (last update Friday March 6)
https://covid.brown.edu/

- Effective Monday, March 9, all in-person Brown events with 100 attendees or more, in venues both on and away from campus, must be postponed, cancelled or offered virtually. Academic courses are excluded from this restriction. -

Columbia (last update Sat. March 7 10:00 am)
https://www.columbia.edu/content/coronavirus
https://universitylife.columbia.edu/Events-and-COV...

- Events for students, faculty, and staff on the Morningside and Manhattanville campuses can continue as planned or be postponed at the discretion of the organizers. -

Cornell (last update Sat. March 7)
https://www.cornell.edu/coronavirus/

- Effective Monday, March 9, we are postponing or canceling large (more than 100 people), non-essential events or work-related gatherings scheduled through April 15. This includes events sponsored by the university, colleges, schools, departments or units, as well as student-sponsored events, where a significant number of participants are expected to travel to or from the region for the event. This policy does not include on-campus events where participation is primarily by Cornell audiences. -

Dartmouth (last update Sat. March 7 12:18 pm)
https://news.dartmouth.edu/covid-19/covid-19-cor on...
https://news.dartmouth.edu/covid-19/campus-opera ti...

- In accordance with guidance from the CDC and NHDHHS, Dartmouth is not prohibiting public events or activities at this time; however, event organizers should make appropriate decisions relative to their event in determining whether to cancel or proceed. We recommend that those who are holding events include timely reminders about maintaining good hygiene such as washing hands, avoiding handshakes, and reminding individuals with possible symptoms that they should remain at home. -

Harvard
https://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus (last update Fri. March 6 or Sat. March 7)

- Travel policies and campus restrictions
Effective now through at least April 30:

We strongly discourage any non-essential meetings or events of 100 people or more. -

https://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/event-inf ormat... (last update Fri. March 6 or Sat. March 7)

- If you are planning an event or meeting at Harvard, Harvard University Health Services (HUHS) offers the following guidance. Remember this is an evolving situation. Let your participants know that you might need to cancel at the last minute and that they should make contingency plans just in case.

We strongly discourage any non-essential large gatherings of 100 or more people. Organizers should postpone the meeting or event, or employ remote technology if possible (Zoom, Skype, etc.) to help avoid the spread of coronavirus. This meeting size is consistent with the guidance of our health care experts and professionals and with the policies of many peer institutions. -

https://www.gocrimson.com/general/2019-20/relea ses... (last update Sat. March 7 12:00 pm)

- Update as of 12 p.m. on Saturday, March 7 includes:

Facilities are open as scheduled and extra steps are being taken to disinfect public spaces.
Our home contests this weekend will continue as scheduled. Check back next week for updates on future home contests.
Please know that we continue to work with University officials frequently to review, update and communicate plans. This is an extremely fluid situation and all guidelines are subject to change as events change. -

Penn (last update - unsure; maybe Tuesday March 3)

- At this time individuals without any symptoms can continue to participate in campus events. The University, following guidance from the PDPH, CDC, and WHO, has not cancelled any activities or events due to the current novel coronavirus concerns. Some departments and student organizations may make the decision to postpone or cancel events, though this is not a University requirement at this time. -

Princeton (last update March 6)
https://emergency.princeton.edu/what-to-do/public-...
https://emergency.princeton.edu/coronavirus-faq-st...
https://emergency.princeton.edu/coronavirus-faq-vi...

- Is the University cancelling any events?

The University has not recommended that events be canceled. Health officials are not advising to cancel or curtail events at this time. If guidance from health officials changes, the University will reevaluate whether campus events need to be rescheduled or canceled. -

Yale (last update March 6)
https://communications.yale.edu/covid-19-informati...

There is no specific information about events. There is something about "Group Gatherings"

- If you are hosting a group gathering, please consider the following preventative measures and review CDC’s guidance on mass gatherings and large community events.

Please make sure attendees have easy access to sinks with soap, hand sanitizer, and tissues.
Remind attendees to follow precautions for their well-being and safety, which are listed in the section above.
If you are serving food or drinks, remind attendees to wash their hands before eating and drinking and to avoid sharing food and drinks. -

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-07-20 04:38 PM - Post#303425    
    In response to rbg

So the elephant in the room is next weekend. Thoughts?

rbg 
Postdoc

03-07-20 04:56 PM - Post#303428    
    In response to Quakers03

I guess it is the elephant in the room.

As much as I enjoy the Ivy Tournament, I do not feel it is an "essential" event. As such, it is not worth the risk of anyone getting sick.

Even if individuals going to the games feel that they are generally in good health, they may not be as healthy as they believe. Also, if that person gets ill, he/she could later pass it on and those people may not have as strong an immune system.

Yale has won the outright men's title and Princeton has won the outright women's title. As such, a league that gave its Automatic Bid to the regular season champion until 2016 should have no complaints from the other 14 teams.

If ESPN insists on the games being played, then they can play them without fans.

I know my view is overly cautious, but I feel if we have more uniform and strict rules at the beginning of this problem, the shorter it will last.

Looking at the 8 schools, there are somewhat different rules for each and then there are exceptions within individual schools. That just seems like a recipe for problems - hopefully, I am wrong.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-07-20 05:17 PM - Post#303435    
    In response to rbg

I disagree. We have to live our lives. There is no guarantee that unless you totally quarantine yourself that you won't be infected. Going to class, going to work, there is really no way to avoid infection. I say play it and I'm going. The fact that you feel this is divine retribution for playing a tournament really is irrelevant. If enough people agree, cancel it next year from the start. But the only issue is health, and I do not believe there is any greater risk in attending a game---especially where there are only about 1500 people intelligent enough to self quarantine if they are displaying signs of disease---than just going about your daily business. Indeed, it probably is less of a risk.

rbg 
Postdoc

03-07-20 06:00 PM - Post#303441    
    In response to palestra38

I certainly understand your point of view.

I guess I am more skeptical than most about people, even those with high levels of education, properly performing self-quarantine.

Until we get more information from experts, which I believe will be a relatively short period off time, I am comfortable with individuals and organizations being more cautious.

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
Ivy League Events & COVID-19
03-07-20 06:32 PM - Post#303454    
    In response to rbg

Palestra - I think Boston is a week or two ahead of Philly as far as this infection goes. We already have 13 confirmed cases and it is likely that we will have community transmission by next weekend. I am a member of the Harvard community and we are making plans for everybody in my organization to start working from home. Harvard has also banned all business travel, and is strongly discouraging us from taking personal trips. I also would not count on people self quarantining. At Dartmouth this week, a staff member who was told to self quarantine showed up at a party because he said that he felt OK, and has infected someone else.

Edited by Big R&B Truth on 03-07-20 06:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Quakers03 
Professor

03-07-20 08:53 PM - Post#303517    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

So, don’t book a hotel room yet? Sigh.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-07-20 09:21 PM - Post#303522    
    In response to Quakers03

Just posted in another thread but I don’t see them allowing fans for the games. We are looking at exponential growth. By next weekend the numbers will be even more stark than they currently are (not that we really know the true extent or intensity).

Many many colleges and universities will be shutting down in person activities between now and next weekend. You can book that instead of a hotel room.

palestra38 
Professor

03-07-20 11:23 PM - Post#303547    
    In response to Quakers03

I booked, but can cancel 48 hours in advance. If it happens, I will be there. At age 62, after a terrible home slate of games, what is there else to do? Sit inside and watch reruns of Star Trek? Ok, I do that anyway. But I still don't see this as something requiring isolation of our entire society for a year.

penn nation 
Professor

03-07-20 11:35 PM - Post#303551    

Mrs Nation has learned an awful lot this week as most of her days have been devoted to meetings and teleconferences from health experts about this subject.

It is absolutely true that the majority of those who test positive will not be severely affected. However, at minimum such individuals are nonetheless still at minimum carriers of the virus which might cause many others, including those more vulnerable to more severe effects, to catch it.

Edited by penn nation on 03-07-20 11:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Ivy League Events & COVID-19
03-07-20 11:44 PM - Post#303553    
    In response to penn nation

There is zero guarantee that avoiding events such as the Ivy tournament will help in any way to avoid the virus. Eventually, you have to go outside. The virus is in the air, which is how it is transmitted. The only question is how deadly it is going to be. And if it is like in the movie Outbreak, we all are in trouble. If not, it's a bad flu, in which case the key is proper treatment.

penn nation 
Professor

03-07-20 11:54 PM - Post#303555    

But the fact that there is at present no vaccine or any other treatment that can cure vulnerable individuals is a game changer. And way too few testing kits.

This is why it’s important to limit exposure. My understanding is that they are now going to test every member of the New Rochelle congregation. Have to try as much as possible to identify not just the source but the spread.

penn nation 
Professor

03-07-20 11:57 PM - Post#303557    

• palestra38 Said:
The virus is in the air, which is how it is transmitted.

My understanding is transmission is mainly from physical human contact or from sneezes/coughs from that individual. Less of a chance of transmission from other more indirect sources.

rbg 
Postdoc

03-08-20 12:03 AM - Post#303560    

PN, there were 2 people from Westchester County who attended the AIPAC Conference and tested positive later in the week.

https://twitter.com/AIPAC/status/12353332 453839872...

https://twitter.com/AIPAC/status/12360564 637407354...

Do you know (and feel comfortable stating) if that group was from the same congregation as the original individual, who I believe has been released from the hospital?

Edited by rbg on 03-08-20 12:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Quakers03 
Professor

03-08-20 12:06 AM - Post#303561    
    In response to rbg

This thing is not going to be played in front of fans. Since you guys up north are a few weeks ahead of us with this thing, how about moving it south a few hundred miles? We know Tommy is fine with it.

penn nation 
Professor

03-08-20 12:15 AM - Post#303562    
    In response to rbg

It is possible that the AIPAC folks are connected to New Rochelle. I do know that the individual from Englewood NJ who tested positive who was at the CPAC conference had attended the New Rochelle synagogue on the dates in question and thus became infected.

Mrs Nation forwarded an email to me from the New Rochelle man’s wife tonight. He is still in critical condition but they are hopeful that he can recover.

Edited by penn nation on 03-08-20 12:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-08-20 08:43 AM - Post#303583    

Aside from concerns about contagion, there is the quarantine problem.

If documented exposure must result in quarantine, entire businesses, schools, etc. can be shut down immediately.

If one documented infected person were to come into my medical office, my staff would be quarantined and the entire practice shut down.

The quarantine spreads faster than the disease itself.

So avoiding large public gatherings is more about avoiding quarantine.

Quakers03 
Professor

03-08-20 11:22 AM - Post#303614    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I wonder what the timeline is on a decision. I have to think we’ll know by tomorrow at the latest. I’m curious as to what a state of emergency would do.

palestra38 
Professor

03-08-20 11:25 AM - Post#303615    
    In response to Quakers03

In itself, a State of Emergency does nothing. It just allows the executive to issue orders without legislative approval relating to the emergency.

penn nation 
Professor

03-08-20 11:31 AM - Post#303618    

NY State has been in one since yesterday.

BTW, within the past couple of minutes Cuomo announced that the # of cases in NY State is now 105. And that is up from 89 which was announced last night.

Now up to 82 cases in Westchester. And just remember, at this time last week--nothing (other than the fact that this lawyer was in the hospital but they hadn't yet confirmed the virus).

Page 1 of 15 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.983 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:18 PM