Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 15 <2345>» Last
Username Post: Ivy League Events & COVID-19        (Topic#24121)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-08-20 11:47 AM - Post#303627    
    In response to penn nation

I think the key now is that anyone who has a fever and a cough should not go to any public events and if it lingers for more than a day or two, call their doctor and arrange either for testing or quarantine.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-08-20 12:01 PM - Post#303630    
    In response to palestra38

At Governor Cuomo's press conference, which just ended, he point blank said we should not listen to the federal government. He said to use common sense and that older Americans should NOT be travelling by plane or cruise ship.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-08-20 02:24 PM - Post#303658    

My guess is that we either find out later tonight or tomorrow, and that it’ll go on but with no fans.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-08-20 05:00 PM - Post#303671    
    In response to mrjames

Updates:

Columbia (Sunday March 8th)
https://universitylife.columbia.edu/update-campus-...

- In an abundance of caution, the University has now updated our events policy to strongly discourage non-essential events of more than 25 people on all of our campuses in light of rapidly changing information about COVID-19. Presently, classes are continuing to meet. The University continues to monitor the situation closely and will update you if changes become necessary.

Campus fitness facilities will remain open for individual use, though group fitness classes will not take place, and there will be increased cleaning of equipment and locker rooms. -

Harvard (Sunday March 8th 3:00 pm)
https://www.gocrimson.com/general/2019-20/relea ses...
(items in bold are from me, not Harvard)

- Facilities are open as scheduled and extra steps are being taken to disinfect public spaces.
Our home contests this weekend will continue as scheduled. Check back next week for updates on future home contests.
The ECAC Hockey men's quarterfinal best-of-three series between RPI and Harvard, scheduled for March 13, 14 and 15 (if necessary) at RPI, will be conducted without spectators.
The following road events have been canceled
Men's and Women's Crew Spring Training Trip to Florida
Men's and Women's Golf Spring Training Trip to Florida
Softball vs. BU in Fullerton, Calif. (March 13), vs. Cal Baptist in Fullerton, Calif. (March 13), vs. Long Beach State in Fullerton, Calif. (March 14), at Cal State Fullerton (March 14), vs. Sacramento State in Fullerton, Calif. (March 15), vs. North Dakota State in Los Angeles, Calif. (March 17) and at LMU (March 17)
Men's Tennis at San Diego State (March 16), at San Diego (March 19), vs. Texas at San Diego (March 20), at Pepperdine (March 22)
Women's Tennis at Sacremento State (March 17), at Saint Mary's (March 18), at Pacific (March 19), at Stanford (March 22)
Men's Volleyball at USC (March 14), at Pepperdine (March 15) and at Concoridia (March 16)
Women's Water Polo vs. CSUN at Aztec Invite (March 14), vs. UC San Diesgo at Aztec Invite (March 14), vs. Hawaii at Aztec Invite (March 15), vs. Long Beach State at Aztec Invite (March 15), Whittier at Pomona-Pitzer (March 17), at Pomona-Pitzer (March 17)-

Yale (Saturday March 7th)
https://communications.yale.edu/covid-19-informati...

- There are no cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at Yale University, but individuals who work in Connecticut, and live elsewhere, have tested positive for the virus. Your individual risk of contracting the virus remains low. As a preventative measure, the university is asking students, faculty, and staff to postpone, cancel, or adjust all Yale-hosted events, other than classes, that will have 100 or more participants. All regularly scheduled university courses and dining operations will continue as planned. This recommendation applies to events taking place between March 9, 2020, and April 15, 2020. -

rbg 
Postdoc

03-08-20 05:18 PM - Post#303673    
    In response to rbg

While Harvard appears to have canceled the events in Florida and California, the decision on hockey came from RPI and the ECAC.

https://www.ecachockey.com/men/2019-20/News/2020 03...

- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) and ECAC Hockey announced today that the upcoming ECAC Hockey men’s quarterfinals series March 13-15 at Houston Field House in Troy, N.Y. will be conducted without spectators.

The announcement is a result of RPI’s enactment of social-distancing protocols to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus disease, COVID-19 within its community. -

Here is RPI's update from Saturday
https://info.rpi.edu/coronavirus/communica tions#So...

- From: Richie Hunter, Vice President for Strategic Communications and External Relations

Following the confirmation of two cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Capital Region, we immediately enacted social distancing protocols to prevent the spread of the virus within our community.

There are no confirmed or suspected cases on campus at this time. In an abundance of caution, the following social distancing protocols were implemented:

All public events with 50 or more attendees that include participation of outside individuals are cancelled.
All internal seminars with external speakers will be considered on a case-by-case basis with input from an occupational physician and/or the Student Health Center.
All Rensselaer community members are asked not to attend large external events in the local area.
These protocols will remain in place until they are rescinded by the Institute. All classes will continue on a normal schedule. -

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-08-20 07:18 PM - Post#303686    
    In response to rbg

I have COVID-19 over Yale in my brackets.

penn nation 
Professor

Ivy League Events & COVID-19
03-08-20 07:31 PM - Post#303689    
    In response to Old Bear

It just got very personal for me. Mrs Nation told me in confidence of a student we know (in our own community, who also goes to our synagogue) who just tested positive.

Her mother texted my wife (she's a teacher in the school where my wife is a principal).

Lots of other tests in process throughout the community with results expected back Monday. Then the numbers will probably spike even higher.

Edited by penn nation on 03-08-20 07:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Re: Ivy League Events & COVID-19
03-08-20 08:22 PM - Post#303692    

Our congregation has now made this information public without naming the individual. It is now cancelling all services and activities immediately.

Awaiting further instructions from the Westchester Department of Health, but as this individual was at Sabbath services on February 29th (I remember seeing this individual), it is likely that a substantial number of us not already under quarantine soon will be.

• penn nation Said:
It just got very personal for me. Mrs Nation told me in confidence of a student we know (in our own community, who also goes to our synagogue) who just tested positive.

Her mother texted my wife (she's a teacher in the school where my wife is a principal).

Lots of other tests in process throughout the community with results expected back Monday. Then the numbers will probably spike even higher.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-08-20 08:27 PM - Post#303694    

Just got my Tournament Tix for Saturday by email

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-08-20 08:48 PM - Post#303695    

Minister at my church just tested positive, he held services for 500 the previous weekend (fortunately we did not attend, but our daughter may have).

Hope things work out OK for you.

penn nation 
Professor

03-08-20 09:03 PM - Post#303699    
    In response to sparman

Thanks.

Scarsdale public schools just announced they are closing for the next week+. The whole region will soon be braking to a halt--I give it no more than a week's time.

Edited by penn nation on 03-08-20 09:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
03-08-20 11:14 PM - Post#303703    

Hope for the best possible outcome for those of you who have community members who have been exposed to the virus.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
03-09-20 09:54 AM - Post#303723    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Princeton just put out a notice encouraging students not to return from spring break until April 5.

penn nation 
Professor

03-09-20 10:02 AM - Post#303726    
    In response to digamma

And Columbia is closed today and Tuesday, after which time it will be on-line only.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-09-20 10:10 AM - Post#303730    

So ... how can classes be canceled but sporting events not?

mobrien 
Masters Student

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
03-09-20 10:34 AM - Post#303734    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I'll be shocked if the Ivy tourney isn't canceled for fans. I think the NBA is about to lead the way on this. Adam Silver has been signaling pretty strongly that they're about to stop fans from attending games, and once they do, it'll be impossible for colleges to justify not doing the same. Seems like it's all going to snowball in the next few days.

rbg 
Postdoc

03-09-20 11:56 AM - Post#303750    
    In response to mobrien

Updates from Columbia and Princeton

Columbia
https://preparedness.columbia.edu/news/update-covi...

- I am writing this evening to notify everyone that, because a member of our community has been quarantined as a result of exposure to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have decided to suspend classes on Monday and Tuesday. This suspension of activities will allow us to prepare to shift to remote classes for the remainder of the week. I want to emphasize that the individual who has been quarantined has not been diagnosed at this point with the virus.

Please understand that the decision to suspend classes does not mean that the University is shutting down. All non-classroom activities, including research, will continue in accordance with the new travel and events restrictions announced recently. At this point, just to restate what is important to know, we do not have a confirmed case of the virus on campus. This action is intended to prevent the virus from spreading.

This message will soon be followed by more specific information from deans and other University leaders, including plans for remote instruction beginning Wednesday and continuing until the start of Spring Break on Friday. -

Princeton
https://emergency.princeton.edu/what-to-do/public-...

- While much remains unknown about COVID-19’s epidemiology and impact, our medical advisers tell us that we should proceed on the assumption that the virus will spread more broadly and eventually reach our campus. They also tell us that the best time to put in place policies to slow the spread of the virus is now, before we begin to see cases on our campus, rather than later. Acting now will also give students who wish to do so the option to stay home after Spring Break and meet academic requirements remotely.

In order to help mitigate the growing risk of transmission, we will begin instituting a series of policies and practices this week based on the concept of social distancing. Our goal is to decrease the number of instances that require community members to gather in large groups or spend extended periods of time in close proximity with each other. To achieve this goal, we will virtualize any activities, such as lectures, seminars, and precepts, that can be put online. We will continue to support, where possible and subject to appropriate restrictions, research, educational, and campus life activities that require physical presence. These measures are being taken to help ensure the health and well-being of our students, faculty, and staff, and to decrease any potential impacts on the larger community.

Though we recognize that a personal, “high touch” educational environment is one of Princeton’s great strengths, we also recognize that these are extraordinary times that require exceptional measures to deal with a health risk that affects us all. For that reason, we are creating, supporting, and mandating alternative ways of meeting our academic and other programmatic requirements in ways consistent with social distancing. This will include a mandatory, temporary move for all lectures, seminars, and precepts to virtual instruction starting on Monday, March 23. We encourage students to consider staying home after Spring Break. If students choose to remain home after Spring Break, we will make sure that they are able to meet their academic requirements remotely.

To protect the health of our community, we will also need to limit the number and size of campus gatherings and meetings, and restrict University-sponsored travel. Detailed guidance will be available on the University’s website later today. Faculty will receive information later this morning about support for virtual instruction, and we will be sharing guidance throughout the week with staff about how these new policies will impact daily operations. -

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-09-20 02:02 PM - Post#303788    

I'm surprised that we still don't have word. There must be some pretty lively discussions occurring on the matter.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-09-20 03:59 PM - Post#303827    
    In response to Quakers03

There are.

penn nation 
Professor

03-09-20 04:10 PM - Post#303832    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
I'm surprised that we still don't have word.

They must be in quarantine somewhere.

Page 2 of 15 <2345>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.268 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:27 AM