Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 15 « First<3456>» Last
Username Post: Ivy League Events & COVID-19        (Topic#24121)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-09-20 04:28 PM - Post#303837    
    In response to penn nation

Princeton has provided updates on its policies
https://www.princeton.edu/content/covid-19-coro nav...

- Certain events, such as athletic contests and performances, may be modified to decrease the need for a crowd or audience. Details on these modifications are under development and will be shared once finalized. -

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-09-20 05:46 PM - Post#303846    

What happens if one of the team members of the ILT gets exposed this week? That entire team goes into quarantine? Then maybe all anti-ILT folks will get their wish and they'll cancel the whole thing and send Yale (and Princeton for the W)

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
03-09-20 06:05 PM - Post#303848    
    In response to Old Bear

• Old Bear Said:
I have COVID-19 over Yale in my brackets.

Didn't Covid '19 graduate last year?

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-09-20 06:09 PM - Post#303849    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
  • Old Bear Said:

International grad transfer.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
03-09-20 06:26 PM - Post#303852    

• penn nation Said:
  • TheLine Said:
  • Old Bear Said:

International grad transfer.

Don't international transfers have to sit out a full year?

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-09-20 10:27 PM - Post#303864    

I’m getting awfully tired of refreshing this thread and searching Twitter...A decision has to come soon.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-09-20 10:37 PM - Post#303867    
    In response to Quakers03

Considering that my hotel has to be cancelled by tomorrow night or it becomes non-refundable, I would be supremely annoyed if they cancelled after that.

I think it's going to be played.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-09-20 10:48 PM - Post#303869    
    In response to palestra38

Watching USF vs Gonzaga, with fans in attendance, and West Coast is ahead of East Coast in infections.

penn nation 
Professor

03-09-20 10:51 PM - Post#303870    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Yeah, but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Excellent game to boot. Saw an earlier matchup between these two teams this year—Dons play them very tough.

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
03-10-20 07:32 AM - Post#303873    

• palestra38 Said:
Considering that my hotel has to be cancelled by tomorrow night or it becomes non-refundable, I would be supremely annoyed if they cancelled after that.

I think it's going to be played.

It will be played with no fans. Covid19 cases are growing in the Boston area. Several public schools have been shut down. The St Patrick’s day parade has been cancelled. The ecac hockey tournament has gone no fans. Many large Cambridge companies have gone work from this week. If I were you I would cancel my reservation. If for some chance it’s on, you will have no problem finding a hotel room this weekend.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-10-20 07:48 AM - Post#303874    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

• Big R&B Truth Said:
If I were you I would cancel my reservation. If for some chance it’s on, you will have no problem finding a hotel room this weekend.

Bingo.

palestra38 
Professor

03-10-20 07:57 AM - Post#303875    
    In response to Go Green

Yes, that is what I will do. However, it may be that the Ivies saved the Tournament by playing it in the smallest possible venue.

rbg 
Postdoc

03-10-20 08:09 AM - Post#303876    

Below is the most recent info on the Boston Public Health Commission website.

Big R&B Truth may have additional information to add.

https://bphc.org/onlinenewsroom/Blog/L ists/Posts/P...

Boston Public Health Commission Home
HOME > ONLINE NEWSROOM > BLOG
BLOG
The Latest: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Monday, March 09, 2020
BOSTON CASE NUMBERS:

Confirmed: 1

Presumptive Positive: 8

OVERVIEW:

The Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID-19 (formerly referred to as 2019 Novel Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV) is a new respiratory virus that was first identified in Wuhan, China in December of 2019.

As of March 9, 2020, there has been one confirmed case of COVID-19 in a Boston resident and 8 presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Boston residents. The presumptive positive cases did not require hospitalization and are self-isolating at home. The CDC is currently testing to confirm these eight cases.

There is no evidence of community transmission in Boston right now. The risk remains low, but this situation is evolving rapidly and changes day to day.

The state of Massachusetts is updating information about COVID-19 cases and residents subject to quarantine in Massachusetts. Visit the MDPH webpage on COVID-19 quarantine and monitoring in the Commonwealth. The CDC is tracking confirmed cases across the United States. For the latest on case counts, visit the CDC's website on COVID-19.

Since January, the Boston Public Health Commission and Boston EMS have taken extensive steps to prepare for a potential outbreak of COVID-19.

BPHC and Boston EMS are trained to respond to infectious diseases. In the past, we have successfully stood up heightened awareness, monitoring and response approaches for SARS, MERS, and H1N1 flu. We will do the same for COVID-19.

BPHC is engaging in daily communications with the CDC, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH), City of Boston departments and other community partners to make sure we have the latest information on guidance, best practices and recommendations. BPHC will provide updated information on this website and on our social media channels as it becomes available.

We are confident the City of Boston will be ready for a safe and effective response as the situation develops.

Timeline of Boston cases and announcements:

On February 1, 2020, the City of Boston announced its first confirmed case of COVID-19. A male in his 20s returning from Wuhan, China. He did not require hospitalization and is recovering and self-isolating at home.

On Friday, March, 6, 2020, BPHC and the Massachusetts Department of Public health announced three presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Boston residents. Two females and a male, all in their 40s, did not require hospitalization and are recovering and self-isolating at home.

On Sunday, March 8, 2020, BPHC announced five new presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Boston residents. These cases include one woman in her 30s, one woman in her 60s, one man in his 40s, one man in his 50s and one man in his 60s. They did not require hospitalization and are self-isolating at home. All five cases had a direct connection to the Biogen employee conference at the end of February.

Out of an abundance of caution, the St. Patrick's Day Parade in South Boston on Sunday, March 15, 2020 has been canceled. You can read the Mayor's statement online.

dtannenwald 
Freshman

Reg: 11-24-15
03-10-20 08:55 AM - Post#303877    
    In response to rbg

Harvard just asked that students not return from spring break and will be switching to online classes on 3/23 (first day after spring break). Not sure if/how this affects the tournament:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/3/11/har va...

penn nation 
Professor

03-10-20 09:14 AM - Post#303881    

• palestra38 Said:
Yes, that is what I will do. However, it may be that the Ivies saved the Tournament by playing it in the smallest possible venue.

I don't see any difference. It is still a relatively large gathering of folks into a relatively small area.

rbg 
Postdoc

03-10-20 09:16 AM - Post#303882    
    In response to dtannenwald

Over the last few days, a number of schools have decided to do remote/online classes. Others have notified their students to take extra belongings with them during spring break since they may make the decision while the students are away.

With things the way they are in the Seattle area, it is understandable that UW went this route.

Many of these schools noted there is no confirmed or presumptive cases on their campus, but are doing it in an abundance of caution.

Amherst had a different note than some of the other schools:
https://www.amherst.edu/news/covid-19/message s-for...

- We know that many people will travel widely during spring break, no matter how hard we try to discourage it. The risk of having hundreds of people return from their travels to the campus is too great. The best time to act in ways that slow the spread of the virus is now. -

If schools are not able to keep their students on campus. then more schools may be doing this.

palestra38 
Professor

03-10-20 09:45 AM - Post#303885    

I understand your feeling---you are in ground zero of a contagion patch. But the vast majority of people are not. I don't know where you can draw the line and determine that the threat is over, not that we have any real idea what the true threat of serious illness is. We need some common sense. I am not at all sure that anything will stop the spread of the virus--we're not closing bars and restaurants, where the risk is much greater due to food and drink preparation. If the real threat is from contaminated surfaces, as it appears to be, and people are smart about not going in public if they have symptoms of this disease, prohibiting public events is overkill. Either we close everything or leave it up to the individual. Because it's here---our chance to stop it at the borders was blown sky high.

penn nation 
Professor

Ivy League Events & COVID-19
03-10-20 09:50 AM - Post#303886    

The threat is not just from contaminated surfaces, although even there frequent cleaning can mitigate. It is from physical contact (i.e., hand shaking) as well as if someone sweats/sneezes/coughs near you.

It's just common sense not to have large groupings of folks, since adherence to the rules above becomes more and more challenging the more folks there are in close proximity within a given area.

• palestra38 Said:
I understand your feeling---you are in ground zero of a contagion patch. But the vast majority of people are not. I don't know where you can draw the line and determine that the threat is over, not that we have any real idea what the true threat of serious illness is. We need some common sense. I am not at all sure that anything will stop the spread of the virus--we're not closing bars and restaurants, where the risk is much greater due to food and drink preparation. If the real threat is from contaminated surfaces, as it appears to be, and people are smart about not going in public if they have symptoms of this disease, prohibiting public events is overkill. Either we close everything or leave it up to the individual. Because it's here---our chance to stop it at the borders was blown sky high.

Edited by penn nation on 03-10-20 09:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

03-10-20 09:55 AM - Post#303887    

I agree that it is passed by personal contact---the kind of thing that happens in meetings and conventions, but much less in a 2 hour sporting event. Here is a very good description of transmission:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda /2020/03/...

Unlike the Flu, this does not appear to be passed easily prior to symptoms showing nor is sneezing a common symptom. So either you get it from contaminated surfaces or if someone showing the disease coughs in your face, shakes your hand or kisses you. All pretty unlikely at a sports event. I'd be far warier of flying on an airplane with recycled air and less than perfect sanitizing than at a ballgame.

But do you suggest an Italy-style shutdown over what we have so far? Because that is what it sounds like.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-10-20 10:02 AM - Post#303888    

There is a lot of misleading facts about this virus. We do know the following:

120k worlwide cases, 4k deaths, over 65k recovered

500 cases in US.

10 years ago the Swine Flu (H1N1) killed 12,500 americans, had over 270,000 hospitalizations and 60 million cases, all in the US alone. The spike in cases has been dramatic for Covi 19 and it MAY end up exceeding the H1N1 virus, but those are big numbers from a virus that few people even remember.

Page 3 of 15 « First<3456>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.224 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:49 AM