Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: NCAA Tournament        (Topic#24139)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-10-20 12:53 PM - Post#303965    

Well, uh...

Yeah. The Ivy League administrators really seem to love shooting themselves in the foot to make points. I'm not necessarily saying that they're wrong, but note that the Big East and Atlantic-10 conferences are having their tournaments in NYC and haven't canceled. I'm sure that those conferences had to consider the same things - plus those tournaments weren't make-or-break for the teams likeliest to win.

Well, whatever. This unequivocally benefits the Yale men's team, so I won't complain too much, but this seems like foolishness on a massive scale.

Yale is likely to get a 12 seed in the NCAA tournament, which is a great situation for the possibility of pulling an upset. Butler, Oregon, and Wisconsin look like the most attractive possible opponents to me who are projected in that range, but we'll see.

I suppose Yale can at least still lay claim to winning the last 14-Game Tournament this way.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: NCAA Tournament
03-10-20 01:14 PM - Post#303973    
    In response to iogyhufi

..or winning the last Ivy tournament

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
03-10-20 03:39 PM - Post#304036    
    In response to palestra38

I find it embarrassing and sad

Play the games with no crowd on tv if you are worried abt community health

It’s disrespectful for every other team and that isn’t right.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-10-20 03:45 PM - Post#304037    
    In response to james

I'm disappointed as a fan with a ticket, but I can see that decision although I would have gone because I believe the risk is low

For the players on the 3 teams who don't get to play, especially the seniors who have been deprived of the final chapter in their college basketball careers, this is unconscionable. Whatever you may think about the tournament, the rules were in place for it this year and cancelling just basketball is ludicrous.

james 
Masters Student

03-10-20 04:19 PM - Post#304055    
    In response to palestra38

this virus is the real deal as is community spread. the US is light years behind China (whose numbers are incorrectly reported) and even Italy in addressing how to deal with it.

So I applaud the league in forbidding the crowd assembly.

this being said even as a yale fan there were many other ways of doing it. play in levites with no crowd? hell play in a damn high school gym. but the former would allow it to be a TV viewing event AND not deprive the seniors from the 3 other teams from this experience. its a goal you laid out that they achieved.

It isnt dangerous for a bunch of <22 yr olds in the condition of their lives to compete based on any work i have done on it which is a lot.

Its a community risk. eliminate that and let them play.

of course the yale men benefit and the yale women do not.

but, it sucks and i feel for any student athlete who has paid the price for 4 yrs to put themselves in the position to have a chance to represent the conf in the NCAA.

thats a big deal, its an enormous sacrifice and the achievement of the goal should be rewarded even if the setting was modified.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
03-10-20 04:37 PM - Post#304065    
    In response to james

James,

Any idea how the Yale men feel about this? I mean, I'm sure they're thrilled they're going to the tourney*, but must feel really weird about essentially being given something they had to (further) earn.

*For the time being. Who knows what's next?

james 
Masters Student

03-10-20 04:45 PM - Post#304068    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Yea I just heard in a text chain that it’s a muted feeling of celebration from the staff and players.

Keep in mind the women were shut out and these programs are closer than ever

It was Harvard’s call, ironically the team Yale can’t seem to beat

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
03-10-20 05:38 PM - Post#304080    
    In response to james

• james Said:
I find it embarrassing and sad

Play the games with no crowd on tv if you are worried abt community health

It’s disrespectful for every other team and that isn’t right.

That's what I don't understand--why not take that approach.

Anyways, good luck to you guys.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-10-20 07:24 PM - Post#304101    
    In response to james

How bloody ironic that in year 4 of IvyMadness, you had to win the IL regular season to go to the Big Dance -- perhaps a lesson learned for every team in the IL, perhaps not.

Congrats to Yale. I hope that you are a #12 seed but I suspect a #13 seed but in any event, represent the league well as you deserve to go -- Yale earned the right to represent the league!!

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-10-20 08:06 PM - Post#304109    
    In response to bradley

No they didn't earn the right. Not under the current system (disagree as you may). They were awarded the bid by a group of non athletic bureaucrats.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-10-20 09:14 PM - Post#304118    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
No they didn't earn the right. Not under the current system (disagree as you may). They were awarded the bid by a group of non athletic bureaucrats.

There is perhaps another way to look at it --- if your Quakerites had not lost two games to Princeton, 14 and 5 points, and had not given up a 10 pt lead with 1:39 left in the Yale game, Robin probably would be flipping a coin to see if Yale or Penn would go to the Big Dance but probably would have sent the Quakerites based on a made up tie breaker rules but then again we live in the world of IvyMadness.

james 
Masters Student

03-10-20 09:39 PM - Post#304126    
    In response to bradley

I do also agree that if you make this decision this year specifically not to play in front of no fans...just dump the damn tournament going forward

Your teams are on ESPN+ every week now which is national.

and it’s pretty dumb to play it on rotating campuses anyway.

Any tiebreak would be like yale-harvard 2015 which was awesome

bradley 
PhD Student

03-10-20 09:53 PM - Post#304131    
    In response to james

You are making too much sense. Going back to the beginning, IvyMadness proponents suggested that the IL was going to become a 2 bid league, regular season attendance would go up based on IvyMadness, better recruits would come due to IvyMadness etc etc. Always helpful to match up reality versus theories.

But, we always have the fall back that players love it -- players would also love to be paid or get a car or something else.

mobrien 
Senior

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
03-10-20 10:05 PM - Post#304136    
    In response to bradley

We actually could have two, and maybe even three, bids this year if not for 1) all the injuries to Harvard and Penn, and 2) Oni going pro. The league as a whole had a lot of talent in its 2016 and 2017 classes.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-10-20 10:33 PM - Post#304142    
    In response to mobrien

The 2016 class, a very good class, was recruited prior to the introduction of IvyMadness - I believe. Let's see how the classes of 2018 and 2019 shake out over time -- post introduction of IvyMadness.

Oni leaving Yale is after his junior year is rare for the IL but not the least bit rare for a number of other conferences -- a number of teams lose star players after freshmen and sophomore years.

Certainly, injuries were a significant factor this year but injuries happen across the country to other teams/leagues.

Let's see over the next 2 or 3 years if the IL men becomes a 2 bid conference -- time will tell/reality will tell.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-11-20 12:17 AM - Post#304148    
    In response to bradley

Doubt this decision will help recruiting or our leagues stature. Men’s 2bidIvy seems dead to me.

If it was my alma mater that disrupted everything, without affirmatively pushing for an alternative location, I feel ashamed. We were entrusted with this folly for this year, and let everyone down.

I’m not suggesting that public safety isn’t a real issue, because it is. But Harvard should have given enough advanced notice to allow for a change of venue. Harvard has the right to decline to host or even participate, but it shouldn’t have taken everyone else down with it.

james 
Masters Student

03-11-20 07:18 AM - Post#304154    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

the injuries to Harvard this year + oni leaving early were almost as unlikely as a global pandemic

But still I say scrap the tournament. The point above as to the players like it is a fair one for recruiting purposes

And I suppose it all but guarantees an nit spot for Harvard (i think) but I also think it does little to advance the 2 bid argument in this era

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-11-20 06:53 PM - Post#304317    
    In response to james

In any case, good luck to Yale in its venture to the NCAA tournament sans fans. You won't get that underdog boost from the crowd, but I expect the Bulldogs will give a good account of themselves.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-11-20 08:09 PM - Post#304331    
    In response to SRP

Provided both that the NCAA tournament happens and that Yale's administration allows the team to take the bid. In my opinion, both are far from guaranteed.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
03-11-20 09:42 PM - Post#304342    
    In response to iogyhufi

Boston University just upset Colgate in the Patriot League final to win their automatic bid, which means both Jones brothers would have their teams in the tournament.

Unfortunately the tournament probably won't happen after what's just occurred with the NBA season being suspended after a Utah Jazz player tested positive for coronavirus

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.232 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:42 PM