Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Next year        (Topic#24163)
Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
09-15-20 10:12 PM - Post#313405    
    In response to Stuart Suss

While there's never any such thing as minor knee surgery, a meniscus procedure is fairly far to the left on the seriousness scale. Let's hope young Laczkowski recovers quickly and completely.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
09-16-20 12:24 AM - Post#313406    
    In response to Quake Show

• jmw Said:
Just thought I'd throw some observations out there – mostly good news in a sea of mostly bad regarding the pandemic and the college basketball season.

First, I'm sure many of you saw a recent DP article in which Coach Donahue is hopeful about Penn and the IL's ability to have a season, with specific emphasis on perhaps squeezing some non-conference games beforehand because of Penn's proximity to other schools. Fingers crossed.

Andrew Laczkowski underwent a serious knee surgery several weeks ago, unclear on what it was for or what the prognosis is, but never something you want to hear.

Several Penn players played several Temple players at the 76ers Field House last week, and looked pretty solid from what video clips I saw on social media. MLL is looking like a more versatile offensive threat, more comfortable in the high post and setting up the offense, cutting, and with some mean blocks and putback dunks. Jonah Charles and Jelani Williams were playing as well, and seem to be healthy as ever given their injury past. Lucas Monroe was there too and looked great on offense and defense.

Also, Jon Rothstein is reporting that Orlando – and I assume its the same bubble that the NBA is using – will be hosting eight (8!!) MTEs in a bubble-format. I know we were replaced in the Myrtle Beach Field and it's quite a long shot, but it would be great if we could squeeze into one.

Good call out, will have to catch up on articles and thanks for sharing.

Whereabouts did you see videos of Penn guys playing Temple guys on social?

Quake Show 
Junior

Reg: 03-04-20
10-01-20 04:52 PM - Post#314391    
    In response to Mike Porter

Article in The Athletic today about us:

https://theathletic.com/2100997/

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
10-01-20 11:21 PM - Post#314419    
    In response to Quake Show

Since I do not have a subscription to The Athletic, I can't read the article.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
10-02-20 09:37 AM - Post#314450    
    In response to SteveChop

It's a good read with a few interesting tidbits about how the seniors spoke up after the second Princeton loss and things changed with the way the youngsters practiced and approached the game from that point forward.

I also found this one from Steve fairly interesting:

• Quote:
That whole sophomore class, not that they're different than the guys we've had, but they're really dedicated to the game and they decided to come to Penn for a lot of reasons, but basketball is a big part of their lives.

We also learned that Slajchert was known as The Rattle Snake and has been known to "blow a kiss at fans." Lol. He's going to drive our opponents nuts.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
10-02-20 11:26 AM - Post#314464    
    In response to Quakers03

I assume it's this year's soph class the quote is referring to?

Slacker had some sick numbers last year. I knew about that 30+ PPG but around 7 assists, 2.5 steals, 4.5 rebounds, and 1 block per game also. Over 40% on the 3's, 87% FT%. With those numbers he can do whatever he wants.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
10-02-20 11:32 AM - Post#314466    
    In response to TheLine

Yes. It's this years Soph class to which he is referring. I read it as a thinly veiled shot at the now seniors, but maybe that's just me.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
10-02-20 12:32 PM - Post#314472    
    In response to Quakers03

I didn't take it as a shot at the seniors. I think he is just being honest that the sophs will really be the heart of this team moving forward (in the same way AJ, Dev, and Ryan were even from their frosh year).

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
10-02-20 01:56 PM - Post#314478    
    In response to Mike Porter

The other thing I took away from that piece is that Wang is apparently healthy. If that's the case, we are in much better shape collectively than if he isn't healthy.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
10-02-20 02:07 PM - Post#314479    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

During the Zoom call with alumni on September 14, Steve Donahue discussed the injury status of various players. The news was positive regarding three of the four:

Jelani Williams: "healthy, playing at full strength"
Jonah Charles: "healthy now"
Michael Wang: "close to 100%" following microfracture surgery
Bryce Washington: "still struggling" seeing a third doctor to locate a broken bone somewhere in the wrist

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
10-02-20 03:00 PM - Post#314481    
    In response to Stuart Suss

• Stuart Suss Said:
During the Zoom call with alumni on September 14, Steve Donahue discussed the injury status of various players. The news was positive regarding three of the four:

Jelani Williams: "healthy, playing at full strength"
Jonah Charles: "healthy now"
Michael Wang: "close to 100%" following microfracture surgery
Bryce Washington: "still struggling" seeing a third doctor to locate a broken bone somewhere in the wrist

Microfracture surgery is a concern going forward. Very few players at any level have successfully rehabbed from that, and most who continued to play were never quite as explosive as they had been. Perhaps in Wang's case, he won't miss the explosiveness he didn't really display, and can still be effective purely on skill.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.224 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:42 AM