Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Ivy Transfers        (Topic#24166)
Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
04-10-20 12:50 PM - Post#306113    
    In response to Streamers

We already are. This could truly devastate the league.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
04-10-20 01:05 PM - Post#306114    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:

I kind of figured this would happen after DeJulius entered the transfer portal. Smith is very similar in size and skill set, but more experienced.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
04-20-20 10:33 PM - Post#306419    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Betley to Cal.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
04-22-20 08:35 AM - Post#306436    
    In response to Quakers03

IL men's programs have take some pretty big body blows over the past 12 months or so due to injuries and transfers. There has been a fair amount of discussion over the past several years as to how the league was on an upward projectile. Based on next year's rosters, the league may take another step backwards from two years ago. Although there were hopes for some that the introduction of IvyMadness would stimulate the recruiting of top flight players, one can only wonder what impact if any has actually occurred.

I remember that someone shared with me the challenges of recruiting in the IL basketball programs, both men and women based on academic requirements. This former coach, who may have exaggerated a bit , said that it was like 3 out of 50 possible recruits could meet the academic requirements.

The league has a lot of challenges to get back on track. The administrators should take a hard look to see what rules need to be revised or decide to be satisfied as being an ok mid-major program.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
04-22-20 09:35 AM - Post#306439    
    In response to bradley

I think that the league will take a step back next year, as only Yale looks likely to be as good as they were this year among the top 4.

However, I am not sure I understand the “another step back from two years ago” comment. The league had 4 top 150 teams in the Pomeroy ratings this year. If that has happened before, it has been a number of years — certainly before the advent of Ivy Madness. The year wasn’t quite as great as it could have been with all the injuries, but it was pretty darn good.

The trajectory for the league still looks good to me. There hasn’t been another recruiting class quite like the graduating seniors, but the level is so much higher than it was 10-15 years ago.

The grad transfers cut both ways. Annoying to only get 3 years of top players, but the opportunity may increase the odds of players who can play at a high major deciding to go Ivy — knowing they can still go play a year of high major basketball as an experienced fifth year.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
04-22-20 02:58 PM - Post#306492    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
The grad transfers cut both ways. Annoying to only get 3 years of top players, but the opportunity may increase the odds of players who can play at a high major deciding to go Ivy — knowing they can still go play a year of high major basketball as an experienced fifth year.

In order for them to be granted a 5th year, wouldn't that mean they suffered an injury? I'm not sure how you quite package that one to potential recruits.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
04-22-20 04:29 PM - Post#306499    
    In response to Quakers03

Depends. Boudreaux and Gettings both sat a year without injury. Some other guys have seemed a bit more complicated.

There is some evidence the league sees grad transfers as a selling point, or at least a positive. The league has actually trumpeted the success of our grads at playing high major basketball. And I am totally speculating here, but my guess is that Amaker in particular has been willing to make a little deal with the devil on this, knowing he may only get 2-3 years out of some very talented recruits. Maybe just a coincidence.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
07-16-20 10:34 PM - Post#310489    
    In response to SomeGuy

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...

Winners and losers of college basketball's transfer season

Winners
Michigan: Not getting Purdue transfer Nojel Eastern into school was a hit for the Wolverines' depth, but Juwan Howard still added two veteran guards in Mike Smith (Columbia) and Chaundee Brown (Wake Forest). Smith averaged 22.8 points and 4.5 assists and should start right away, while Brown was a productive wing in the ACC and could apply for a waiver to play right away.

Losers
Ivy League: It happens every spring, but the Ivy League was crushed by graduate transfers this year -- and it wasn't a surprise. The league doesn't allow players who redshirt to spend a fifth year at an Ivy League school, meaning players are forced to go elsewhere for their final season if they ever missed a season because of injury. That's how Seth Towns (Ohio State), Bryce Aiken (Seton Hall), Jordan Bruner (Alabama), Mike Smith (Michigan), Patrick Tape (Duke) and Ryan Betley (California) ended up leaving the league in the span of a couple of months.

Not to mention two All-Ivy players on the women's side - Harvard's Katie Benzan (Maryland) and Cornell's Lauren Bagwell-Katalanich (Minnesota)

https://thenext.substack.com/p/two-womens-basketba ...

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.244 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:37 PM