Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Question for MJ        (Topic#2417)
Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
02-14-06 04:11 AM - Post#15363    

I love Marvin Gaye’s 'Two Can Have a Party', but it's not the most inspiring song to have your team run on to the court to. If you’re not going to have a band then how come they don’t pipe in 10,000 men or that other song over the sound system?

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Question for MJ
02-14-06 04:31 AM - Post#15364    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

Quality stuff.

I found out this week that reason that there's no band is (according to the band) that the athletic department asked the band to choose hockey or basketball to create a consistent home environment. Personally, I think this is a stupid policy (I don't mind if there is an inherent priority of hockey over basketball, but on nights when hockey is off or out of town, like Saturday, there's no reason not to have the band at Lavietes).

I never really noticed the song that the team runs on the court to, which might be saying something in and of itself. I've actually had more complaints with some of the songs they play at media timeouts. They just really aren't "pump me up" type songs.

As for why 10,000 is never played...that's a damn good question. It never dawned on me, but I can't remember the last time I've heard it at Lavietes. Definitely not this year.

I'll dig around and see what I can find.

The Willow 
Masters Student

02-14-06 12:24 PM - Post#15365    
    In response to mrjames

mrjames- I think you can safetly say almost all the music associated problems with Harvard can be blamed on the admins, and not the band. (The same can be said for Dartmouth from Friday... and pretty much all of the ivy bands in general)

And what, you don't think Billy Joel is an exciting, adreniline pumping artist?

mrjames 
Professor

02-14-06 05:31 PM - Post#15366    
    In response to The Willow

Yeah, why doesn't the team just take to the court with Piano Man blaring in the background? Sometimes I wonder if there are folks in the administration who are doing everything they can to make basketball unwatchable up here.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
02-17-06 12:13 AM - Post#15367    
    In response to mrjames

Quote:

Yeah, why doesn't the team just take to the court with Piano Man blaring in the background? Sometimes I wonder if there are folks in the administration who are doing everything they can to make basketball unwatchable up here.

Or perhaps charge onto the court to "Only the Good Die Young."

mrjames 
Professor

02-17-06 04:57 AM - Post#15368    
    In response to Red n Blue

I'm going to ask about the music selection tomorrow night. Unless I forget. Then I'll do it on Saturday.

But I will find out what's behind the completely uninspiring tunes that flow out of the Lavietes sound system.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.262 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:34 AM