Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Transfer Question        (Topic#24253)
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
04-12-20 03:38 PM - Post#306161    

I have a question about perceptions of grad transfers. Is there any suspicion about the severity of injuries for some of the grad transfers? Obviously this does not apply to Mike Smith or Ryan Betley, who both undoubtedly suffered season ending injuries and gained an extra year of eligibility as a result. However, the debate on the Columbia board regarding Patrick Tape has made me wonder about some of the more mysterious injuries around the league. Do we think that players are sitting out when they could otherwise play in order to do a grad transfer season (or two)?

Is this a concern for coaches, and is there resulting pressure on players to play hurt? One of the injuries that seemed suspicious at the time was Makai Mason’s second year sitting for Yale. Was he trying to get 2 years as a transfer? Was he pressured to play late in his senior year at Yale, which resulted in playing one game against Harvard that used up an entire year of eligibility?

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Transfer Question
04-12-20 03:45 PM - Post#306162    
    In response to SomeGuy

Does it matter? They could simply sit out and maintain eligibility. The Division 1 eligibility rule is 5 years to play 4. However, the Redshirt Rule protects those who don't play a minute:

Redshirt: In Divisions I or II, redshirting refers to someone who is enrolled full-time at a school, but does not play for an entire academic year for the sole purpose of saving a season of competition. A redshirt does not play in any college games or scrimmage in a given sport for an entire academic year, even though that student is otherwise eligible. If you do not play in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. However, if you play in even one second of a game as a college student-athlete, you are not a redshirt. Redshirting does not exist in Division III because if you play or practice after your first opportunity to compete, you are charged with a season of participation.

As I read that, an injury is irrelevant to protect eligibility anywhere but the Ivies.

SomeGuy 
Professor

04-13-20 09:57 AM - Post#306170    
    In response to palestra38

Yes, a player can simply sit out the season. That is what Boudreaux did.

But what did Patrick Tape do? Rules-wise it doesn’t matter, but there are two very different perceptions of his decision out there among Columbia fans. I suspect that players who have committed to a program sometimes don’t want to be perceived as simply walking away. And there are a couple of instances where coaches don’t come out and say a player isn’t really hurt, but there seem to be some little indicators of suspicion.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

04-13-20 11:03 AM - Post#306179    
    In response to SomeGuy

maybe, some guy but it seems besides the point. We've brought this on ourselves with our stupid rules and the cost structure. If we're not going to give away an undergrad degree for free, we might as well help them get a graduate degree for free.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
04-13-20 12:39 PM - Post#306184    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I think Tapé's situation was similar to Henry Caruso's at Princeton a few years ago (and I suspect similar to Makai Mason, and somewhat Bryce Aiken this season), but different from the Boudreaux and Gettings transfers. Tapé got hurt in the summer, that much appears to be clear, and it was a toe/foot injury that would have cost him some games, but not the whole season. The 2 options he was then faced with were playing out his senior year and final year of eligibility at Columbia and playing less than a full season, or sitting out the entire season and playing his final year of eligibility somewhere else for a full season.

Caruso's was a little different in that he got hurt 6 games into the season (coincidentally also a foot injury), but still with enough time where the NCAA would grant a medical redshirt season if he stopped playing from that point on.

My guess is that Bryce Aiken was in a similar spot, where he maybe could have played down the stretch of the season, but would have spent an entire year's worth of eligibility on a season where he played 10-12 games at less than 100%

On Gettings and Boudreaux, I don't believe any injury was reported prior to their transferring, so I think their situations were different but I could be wrong.

So I think it's a mixed case, I think there was an actual injury that would have caused these guys to miss games, but I don't think all of these injuries were necessarily season ending, just that they would have caused the players to miss so much time that they felt it was more valuable to sit the entire season and preserve their eligibility. I'm not sure the Ivy rules necessarily cause this, because I think this would be the same case as any other conference in the country. The only difference here is that these guys can't use their saved eligibility year in the Ivy League.

mbaprof 67
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
04-13-20 12:48 PM - Post#306185    
    In response to SomeGuy

Its in the “who cares” category but see Colin Mcmanus and Kuba Mijakowski from Penn

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:57 PM