Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Does standardized testing get dropped from the AI for the next two years?        (Topic#24287)
JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
04-23-20 01:46 AM - Post#306523    

https://cornellsun.com/2020/04/22/cornell-wa ives-2...

"Athletes are still expected to adhere to the Ivy League’s standardized testing requirements."

Few interesting articles today ... Cornell has taken an interesting stance in allowing the waiver of standardized testing for the general applicant population but keeping it for athletics ...legally can you have different core testing / admissions criteria for a subset of your applicant pool?

How many rising seniors even took the SATs - there were four testing periods in 2019 - none in 2020 (don't most juniors take in the spring of Jr year - or retest to improve an initial score) - there are 5 planned for Aug and later (but I suspect not all those happen - but there may be a Digital SAT- does not look like there will be a Digital ACT) - what if an athlete has not taken the SAT/ACT yet - are the disqualified from attending Cornell as a recruited athlete? Will students without an ACT/SAT be allowed to walk on?

I suspect more Ivies / schools will follow on the general waiver ... how many Ivies have to waive the criteria before keeping it for sports just looks too bad publicly? We might not play Ivy sports or open on campus in the fall - but we still expect you to go to an ACT testing center - but the non scholar athletes can skip the ACT/SAT

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cornell-to-d rop-sat-a...

The school said it still expects to receive test scores from many students, and scores could be “a meaningful differentiator” for those who live near or attend schools that are open for testing or whose families didn’t lose income or face other hardships this year.

Some other Ivy League schools, including Princeton and Brown universities, have informed current high school juniors that they don’t expect students to take the ACT or SAT multiple times, given the limited testing dates now available.

Edited by JDP on 04-23-20 01:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Tests
04-23-20 08:24 AM - Post#306528    
    In response to JDP

Yeah I raised this basic issue about a month ago about admissions in general in the IL.

My boychicks (juniors) were supposed to take the SAT for the first time in March. Virus took care of that.

Now, the earliest they'll be able to take it is late August, and there's no guarantee. College Board says they'll offer it at the end of every month, and if it's still not happening in person they'll offer a virtual SAT.

Anecdotally there are more schools that say they'll be "test optional" in terms of their admissions policy for this particular class. I know at my boys' school there was also initially a question of whether this semester's grades would have a pass/fail option to it, but ultimately I think they decided the existing grade system would continue (other than pass/fail for a course like physical education).

Also makes it very challenging for students and their families when you can't even visit colleges at all.

Edited by penn nation on 04-23-20 08:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
04-24-20 04:58 PM - Post#306634    
    In response to penn nation

How do we think all in compensation for head coaches shakes out on a relative basis?

I know amakers on top but otherwise

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.276 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:45 AM