Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Northern Iowa        (Topic#2429)
BreakinBison 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-23-06
02-15-06 02:54 AM - Post#15459    

FYI...Northern Iowa lost by 1 point on the road tonight at Indiana State. Grant Stout missed a potential game tying free throw with 5 seconds left.

jck45 
Junior

Reg: 01-24-06
Re: Northern Iowa
02-15-06 03:21 AM - Post#15460    
    In response to BreakinBison

The ISU Sycamores went into that game losers of 12 of their last 14....

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
02-15-06 03:32 AM - Post#15461    
    In response to jck45

As an outsider, I have to think that would hurt their RPI and their chances as an at large.

-Mike

M.Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 02-11-06
02-15-06 04:20 AM - Post#15462    
    In response to Mike Porter

While any loss will hurt your chances at an at-large, they still have to be on the good side of the bubble being in that three-way logjam for second in the Valley. With all the talk about four Valley teams getting in, I still think UNI is the class of that conference even with being down a game to the Shockers.

Panthers Win!! 

Reg: 01-30-06
02-15-06 11:57 AM - Post#15463    
    In response to M.Bison

Well our fans aren't sure what's going on either. The game against Missouri State was tough but Missouri State is a good team that has a good chance of making the NCAA Tournament. The loss to Indiana State last evening was very tough though. A couple weeks ago UNI beat the same team by 27 and it wasn't that close.

Not to make excuses but looking for things to correct it may have been a number of things that contributed to the loss. The bench didn't contribute much. I think 3 points. Those that saw the game in person seem to think the team looked "tired" or uninspired which may be the same thing as overlooking a team or "playing down" to the competition, or they may really just be tired. As absurd as it sounds, maybe Crawford's return has tweaked the delecate chemistry of the team and they need to adjust. Whatever the explanation this is a bad loss.

I suppose if one looks for a silver lining it's good to have these kinks manifest themselves now, before tournament time, while the games mean less than a single elimination game. I suppose it's also worth considering that both of these recent losses could easily have gone the other way had the Panthers had the guys not missed shots they have usually made at the end of the games.

I think UNI is still fine as it relates to the NCAA Tournament though. Unless UNI loses out I think they're a lock. It's still the same team with wins over Iowa and LSU (1st place in Big Ten and 2d place in SEC respectively) and two victories against Wichita State who beat Creighton last evening to take sole command of first place in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Hopefully whatever it is the Panthers get it fixed before the game on Saturday.

Anonymous 

02-15-06 01:01 PM - Post#15464    
    In response to Mike Porter

Quote:

As an outsider, I have to think that would hurt their RPI and their chances as an at large.

-Mike

UNI would need a few more losses to even fall onto the bubble. After the loss last night, their RPI is still #23 with a remaining schedule that could well improve it: three games vs opponents with a collective 52-19 record, two of them at home.

As of right now, the MVC is likely looking at five bids, with five teams in the top 30 RPI, all of whom should end up with 20+ wins. The only way they only get four teams in the tourney is if one team falters down the stretch.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.293 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:16 PM