Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: doing it without a center        (Topic#243)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-12-04 10:03 PM - Post#1198    

Whatever the calibre of its opposition so far, Columbia is winning without a true post player. That's the encouraging part.

Kravic is basically a forward, doing pretty well there.
Ben, whose defensive skills will be needed for the Ps and other Ivies, played very little against St. Francis (is he injured?), and the other big men are either hurt or just not playing.

Not a good situation.
west coast fan

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: doing it without a center
12-16-04 10:26 PM - Post#1199    
    In response to internetter

My sense is Jones is trying out various combinations preseason. Ben does need a lot of work. That's why I'm so anxious to see what Baumann can do. He's a tweener 3/4, not a 5, but whatever, he's an inside guy with size, hands and skills.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: doing it without a center
12-17-04 12:38 PM - Post#1200    
    In response to Dr. V

I agree with you, V, but I also think that Jones really wanted to get that win against St. Fran, and just doesnt trust Ben at the end of games yet. I'm sure as they get more experience with each other, that will change. But for now, Ben will be sitting at crunch time.

At the end of that game, you had Preston, Kravic, Boswell, Montgomery, and I think Loscalzo in there, and they put together a nice little run. I'd imagine that the first four will be in at the end of most games. Cuff was also playing during the run.

I think that its ok to play that small line-up a lot of the time, and it should be possible against half of the league. The other half of the time, of course, they're going to need someone to step up.

On an unrelated note, has anyone looked at gocolumbialions.com recently? Headlines:

Fletcher 3rd team all-american

Wrestlers beat #25 Rider

Mens basketball wins

Women's bball wins

Women's swimming wins

Men's swimming wins

wow. fantastic. Never thought I'd see all that on that website. HUGE improvement in the website over early last year, thank goodness.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.356 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:12 AM