Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 5 <2345
Username Post: If there is no Ivy basketball season next year        (Topic#24307)
james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
05-02-20 10:12 PM - Post#306935    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Sweden pursued herd immunity the hard way

They are the test case. So we shall see

There is no good option including bankrupting the country with massive unintended consequences including mental health

I will say it again there is no good option.

james 
Masters Student

05-02-20 10:22 PM - Post#306936    
    In response to james

Like hiv?

Well I don’t know smart guy there are a few differences in terms of incentive structures but I would agree we haven’t exactly cured or eliminated all viral effects.

Hiv didn’t shut down the global economy and as a ceo and in the health care field I am aware of some very encouraging developments some interesting innovation and massive capital going towards attacking the problem.

It doesn’t take a pie in the sky optimist to see how we might close the gap relatife to hiv treatment development decades later

It also doesn’t hurt that this impacts 7.8bn ppl through global lockdowns so the incentive and scope are perhaps both different. And the innovation and capital formation of these decades all help in addressing this over a reasonable time frame

But sure you have no interest in any of this. And it can look clever to be cynical

I have hope but no certainty. but I don’t get out of bed without hope which is why I take risk and respect those who play the proverbial game

james 
Masters Student

05-02-20 10:29 PM - Post#306937    
    In response to james

I have data scientists who crunch ever number you can imagine and tweak every scenario

But we still don’t know the denominator and the ro while high could be so much lower than your herd immunity assumption

So case studies matter like Sweden Though it pains me to say given the expense of said analysis. Doesn’t matter when the inputs are flawed

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
05-02-20 10:48 PM - Post#306938    
    In response to james

It doesn't seem like flooding the zone has worked especially well.

The Netherlands tried that with disastrous consequences.

mobrien 
Masters Student

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
05-03-20 12:37 AM - Post#306939    
    In response to penn nation

I've been pessimistic about what's going to happen with this new coronavirus, but I'm optimistic about getting a vaccine.

There are two reasons it would be hard to generate a vaccine. The first is if the virus does a good job hiding from antibodies once you've been infected. This is why we haven't been able to develop a vaccine for HIV (and why you're never fully cured, although antivirals are now able to manage it). The second reason is if the virus mutates so rapidly that the vaccine we have one year doesn't work the next. This is why we need to get a new flu shot every year. From my understanding, though, this new coronavirus doesn't do either of these things. It actually exposes itself to antibodies so that it can spread faster in those first couple of days before you become symptomatic, and it mutates very, very slowly. I think we will get a vaccine, and I think there's a decent chance the immunity we get from it could last a lot longer than we've been willing to hope.

The bigger issue is there are reports that not everyone who's gotten Covid-19 has actually developed antibodies, or at least strong levels of them. It's hard to know if that's real or just a matter of testing error, but it could make it harder to get to herd immunity even if we are able to find a vaccine that's effective for most people.

I can't imagine a vaccine would be ready before the start of next basketball season. Heck, just manufacturing enough of it for everyone before the season after that would be a challenge. But we're eventually going to get there.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
05-03-20 07:16 AM - Post#306941    
    In response to james

• james Said:

But sure you have no interest in any of this. And it can look clever to be cynical

Wow. Hard to take the time to respond to this.

I'm leaving the basement quarantine to round in a hospital with 62 inpatient COVIDs.

My boss at NIH NIAID spent his life working on a vaccine for RSV. I only spent a little over a year.

I try to tincture my optimism with respect for the vagaries of mother nature and her viruses.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
05-03-20 03:19 PM - Post#306958    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

While we’re going off-topic here, treatment by polyclonal antibodies derived from recovered patients shows some potential. DARPA also has a more-speculative program to inject only the mRNA needed to generate these antibodies (not a vaccine, but a temporary defense). The timeline for both of these (to have them if they turn out to work) is the end of the year.

The existence of good treatments would completely change the risk-benefit calculus for the young and healthy who were unlikely to get sick in the first place. Their ability to gather would then only be constrained by the risk of their transmitting to the more-vulnerable. At that point, “fencing out” potentially dangerous carriers from the vulnerable will become much more sensible than “fencing in” everyone as a general measure. And, of course, if we get cheap, fairly accurate, spit-on-paper antigen tests then everything gets easier to manage.

ivyrules 
Freshman

Reg: 11-27-17
If there is no Ivy basketball season next year
05-04-20 01:20 PM - Post#306982    
    In response to SRP

I think Cornell and Columbia would benefit from a year off. I was maybe going to put Dartmouth in that category as well, but I think Go Green is right. That they are supposed to be better than usual, so it would actually hurt them.

I agree with Silver Maple that no season would hurt Yale.

What would it hurt or help Brown, Princeton, Penn, Harvard?

Would a blown up season pave the way for a new paradigm, in which the playing field is leveled across all 8 schools if not for the longterm, for a few years at least?

Edited by ivyrules on 05-04-20 01:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ivyrules 
Freshman

05-11-20 12:26 PM - Post#307190    
    In response to ivyrules

The more I see, the less optimistic I feel about there being Ivy basketball. So many question marks.

Maybe the disease will allow some Ivies, but not others, to return to campus in the fall. What's happening on Ivy campuses this entire upcoming year will likely vary from campus to campus. That variation coupled with a likely second wave in fall or winter could be a killer.

Maybe there will be an attempt to have a season that has to be aborted, or maybe there will be a pre-determined shortened season with only league play, or maybe this is another lost season.

If there is some type of a partial season, will our best seniors elect to finish their Ivy education but sit out and maintain eligibility for a grad season elsewhere?

How many games can a senior or any player for that matter play before it officially counts as a year of eligibility used up?

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
05-11-20 12:48 PM - Post#307193    
    In response to ivyrules

• ivyrules Said:

Maybe the disease will allow some Ivies, but not others, to return to campus in the fall.

My own prediction is that if even one Ivy campus is closed, then there will not be Ivy sports.

Get well soon, New York and Boston!!!

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
05-11-20 01:27 PM - Post#307201    
    In response to Go Green

It's not just those two locations.

NJ has 140,000 confirmed cases, including 5,400 in Mercer County (Princeton) alone.

CT with over 33,000 confirmed cases, including 9,200 in New Haven County (Yale) alone.

RI with over 11,500 confirmed cases, including 3,100 in Providence County (Brown) alone.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
05-11-20 01:38 PM - Post#307203    
    In response to ivyrules

Normally the rule is 30% of your team’s total games. I am curious how this is applied to last year, where, even assuming a first round loss in a conference tournament and no NCAA bid, lots of teams lost at least one game. How this rule applies probably impacts a few kids close to the line. Bryce Aiken is apparently viewed as under the line, but there is an argument as to whether he would be eligible For another year (while he played less than 30% of Harvard’s games, he appeared in a game past the 30% mark). Bryce Washington is in a similar boat (though I believe he needed the first round playoff game to be under 30%). These are injuries though. I don’t think you can get an extra year by just leaving the team after playing a bunch of games.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
Re: If there is no Ivy basketball season next year
05-11-20 08:36 PM - Post#307231    
    In response to ivyrules

What if there are no players? I was speaking with a D3 player at an excellent school who told me he is at least taking the Fall off as he sees classes being virtual and not worth the considerable money when he can do an internship or volunteer somewhere.

ivyrules 
Freshman

05-13-20 03:44 PM - Post#307317    
    In response to mbaprof

Even if they cancelled the season with plenty of notice for players to drop out and save a year of Ivy eligibility, which I doubt will happen, I think there will be plenty of players for each Ivy to field a team.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
05-14-20 01:14 PM - Post#307363    
    In response to ivyrules

https://twitter.com/IvyLeague/status/1260 978969974...

The league has officially announced its plans to return to Harvard as the site for the tournament next season (presuming there is a season)

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
05-14-20 02:49 PM - Post#307369    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Awesome!
I'm sure Seth, Bryce, Chris, Robert, Justin, Christian and Robert are super pumped!

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
05-14-20 02:52 PM - Post#307370    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

In a less snarky vein, I wonder how many lives Harvard saved by being the canary in the coal mine last year?

Not just Ivy League, but did our cancellation influence cancellations of other conference tournaments days later?

I would hold the tournament at Lavietes every year! Saves lives!

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
05-14-20 03:18 PM - Post#307372    

Undoubtedly the right decision. Few of us thought so until the NBA news came down---that was sort of like the second plane hitting the tower.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
If there is no Ivy basketball season next year
05-14-20 04:06 PM - Post#307376    

The tweet that remains burned into my brain came one week after they made the call:

• Quote:
Imagine fading Harvard

It was the NBA that changed the country, but Harvard definitely saw it first.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
05-14-20 04:22 PM - Post#307377    
    In response to Quakers03

Hmmm. Harvard saw it first and cancelled the ILT while still planning to let their hockey team and other teams compete that weekend?

They got it right, but it was more eventually than right away.

It was a bold move to cancel but it would have much more impressive if they did it all in one shot. Leaves the impression there was more at play in the decision.

Page 2 of 5 <2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.894 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:24 PM