Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Virtual Team Banquet?        (Topic#24311)
Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
05-02-20 05:29 PM - Post#306927    

Any one from the board attend? Would have been curious to tune in to watch, but was on solo daddy duty this morning so wasn’t possible. Particularly curious of the mood of the team and if any topical info was shared?

pennsive 
Junior

Re: Virtual Team Banquet?
05-02-20 07:01 PM - Post#306930    
    In response to Mike Porter

I watched it. They had varying audio problems throughout, but this is my takeaway. AJ is very funny throughout his speech. For example, when Ryan Metley's senior speech was garbled the the first time he tried it, AJ followed him by stating," Well said, Ryan." He did it a second time later on, but AJ was the star. He gave shout-outs to a lot of people, especially Ira Bowman who gave him the mindset that when he had the ball down low, not one in the country could stop him. All of the seniors loved their experience at Penn, and Steve D and his staff came across as a teaching group you would be proud to have your son play for. Dev won an award for the player who made the most improvement, and former guard Ken Hall introduced a new award called the Billy Basics award which went to Ray Jerome (who also spoke very) well. It was obvious that Coach D really loved Dev, AJ, and Ray, and how much on and off the court they contributed to the team. The impression was left that the senior class was particularly gritty, selfless, practiced hard, and truly supported their teammates. It reinforced why we were so happy to root for them.

pennsive 
Junior

Re: Virtual Team Banquet?
05-02-20 07:04 PM - Post#306931    
    In response to pennsive

Sorry for not proofreading my post. To correct one of my errors, at least, Ryan Betley did not have a name change.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
05-02-20 07:27 PM - Post#306932    
    In response to pennsive

But Ryan did get some grief from host Brad Fadem as to his uniform number change

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
05-03-20 12:58 AM - Post#306940    
    In response to SteveChop

Very cool and glad the guys still got to have a moment to celebrate after some perspective, even if it was a virtual moment. I don't suppose any of you got a good look at Mike Wang's knee on the video conference? Here's to hoping it's healing nicely!

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
05-03-20 09:55 AM - Post#306950    

One thing this group, and the two classes before them, have always done is cheer on their teammates. It sticks out that even guys who don't get PT or have lost PT are into and it's infectious. Maybe it's selective watching, but I don't always notice that type of bench cheering from all opponents. I will be forever thankful to this group for helping to bring winning basketball back to Penn. Celebrating a title on their home court and then dancing is something they'll always have.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
05-03-20 12:45 PM - Post#306955    

Mike - aren't you in California? If so, you're probably closer to Mike Wang's knee than we are here in the East.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
05-03-20 03:48 PM - Post#306959    
    In response to SteveChop

Does anyone know whether Wang is in California or China?

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
05-03-20 04:44 PM - Post#306962    
    In response to SteveChop

Haha, Steve that is true! Yes I live in Los Angeles, so I am physically closer, but I don't think social distancing would allow for me to do a house check to see how he is doing.

And to the question of where Mike Wang is at moment, believe that someone shared earlier that he is here in CA with his host family (Spencer Friedman from Harvard's family)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.269 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:46 AM