Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Wes Unseld RIP        (Topic#24400)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
06-03-20 06:40 AM - Post#308392    

The greatest game in Columbia basketball history, IMHO, was in the Holiday Festival in the old garden in the 1967-1968 season. Unseld and Beard were one of the best backcourt front court combinations in college ball that year. Bothe went on to great NBA careers. We fell behind by around 10 or 12 points but little by little began to chip away at the lead, led by Roger Walaszek, who had the game of his life. I was sitting high up in the stands and at that moment felt that we had a special team which could go a long way. What a memory; and the great 60-55 win over the Sonny Dove led St. John’s team in the final (I was thee as well) was just about as exciting. Those were the days.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
06-03-20 06:41 AM - Post#308393    
    In response to Chet Forte

Can’t believe that I failed to mention that our opponent was Louisville, but all of you diehards Columbia people knew that anyway.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Wes Unseld RIP
06-03-20 07:26 AM - Post#308394    
    In response to Chet Forte

I was at the Sonny Dove final as well. I first got into college basketball when my father went back to school to get a PhD at St John's in psychology in '67, when I was 10. I went to a lot of games at Alumni Hall and the excitement level was incredible. Later on in high school, I got a GO card and went to games at the Garden for a buck or two. The best I saw that way was the Jim McDaniel-Johnny Roche Holiday Festival final. Frank McGuire was the South Carolina coach and brought all those NYC players down there--McDaniel was the best college player in the land at that time.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.133 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:15 AM