Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 26 <2345>» Last
Username Post: New 2021 Recruiting Thread        (Topic#24423)
Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
06-16-20 10:38 PM - Post#309087    
    In response to besnoah

Awesome, I REALLY like what I have seen in clips and heard about Hysier Miller. Hasn't gotten the same love as some of the other top Philly guards nationally in 2021, but has outplayed a lot of them head to head. Supposed to be VERY competitive, a complete player overall, but very good defender. Would love to see him as a Quaker.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
New 2021 Recruiting Thread
06-17-20 12:30 AM - Post#309088    
    In response to Mike Porter

When I first saw your comments, I told myself "don't watch the videos." I'm tired of having my heart broken with these kids. Well, I watched the video.

I like the look of Hysier a lot. Would love to see him as a Quaker. He looks like a player whose game would travel well to the Ivy League. He is stronger than most Ivy guards and has good balance. He is fast enough and physical enough to attack in the half court. He plays with balance, and is usually in a good position to dish the ball. If he has a decent outside shot %, then he will be really effective.

I hope he wants a great education and wants to be a Philly star!

Edited by Penndemonium on 06-17-20 12:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-17-20 01:16 AM - Post#309090    
    In response to Penndemonium

Last years stats including 51% overall on FGs, 59% on 2s, 39% on 3s (39 out of 101), 72% FTs, 4.8 rebounds per game, 3 assists per game, and 1.8 steals per game. Full stats here:

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/hysier-mill er/f...

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
06-17-20 08:50 AM - Post#309099    

Remarkable how many fans appear to be in attendance at those high school games at the Palestra.

Hope he likes playing there.

Quake Show 
Junior

Reg: 03-04-20
06-18-20 01:00 AM - Post#309173    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Brandon Lieb, a 7' 0" PF that we were detailed above as having interest in, has been officially offered by Penn.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
06-18-20 04:15 PM - Post#309235    
    In response to Quake Show

We'll be fortunate to get him given all of the interest coming his way. Deerfield has won its regional with him the past 2 years.

Quake Show 
Junior

06-18-20 04:41 PM - Post#309241    
    In response to penn nation

Almost on cue, picked up a Big East offer from DePaul today.

I wonder, as he seems to be AAU teammates with Louis Lesmond – Harvard's newest big pickup for the 2021 class – if that will have any influence on whether or not he chooses us over high-major offers.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

06-18-20 06:42 PM - Post#309245    

His brother was at Lehigh and was injured for his entire 4 years so the family should realize the importance of getting the best education possible. Of course there are always other factors.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

06-18-20 08:03 PM - Post#309246    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Like recruiting against non-HYP scholarship offers, without the right to match 100% FA from HYP?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

06-18-20 08:59 PM - Post#309247    

True but almost every player on the team had non hyp scholarship opportunities

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-19-20 04:48 AM - Post#309250    

Yep, all of the truly recruited players on the team had scholarship offers to play at a bunch of other schools, so can't use that as some kind of crutch.

Looks like today Brandon Lieb got 2020 offers from Oklahoma State and Utah as well. Clearly his stock is taking off. This would be a great chance to show we can punch above our weight for a recruit, so fingers crossed.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-19-20 04:51 AM - Post#309251    

Since I last took a look:

- Casey Simmons has been offered by Miami, Penn State, Xavier, and Pitt.

- Nana Owusu-Anane has been offered by Hofstra and University of New Hampshire

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

06-19-20 10:16 AM - Post#309268    

I was wondering if anyone knew what our current income guidelines are for no loan fin aid grants for no tuition and room and board and the higher number for no tuition grants. I'm years behind in understanding and the parameters must have gone up in recent years

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
06-19-20 11:18 AM - Post#309271    

I would be surprised if we ended up a serious contender for Brandon Lieb.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Re: New 2021 Recruiting Thread
06-19-20 02:11 PM - Post#309288    

• Mike Porter Said:
Yep, all of the truly recruited players on the team had scholarship offers to play at a bunch of other schools, so can't use that as some kind of crutch.

Looks like today Brandon Lieb got 2020 offers from Oklahoma State and Utah as well. Clearly his stock is taking off. This would be a great chance to show we can punch above our weight for a recruit, so fingers crossed.

I won't hijack the thread - this is the NEW recruiting thread!

I used to hate it that recruiting was so opaque in the Allen years. We had no information unless a player tweeted an offer. Now we hear Penn a lot more out there - and it is a different form of torture. A coach's job is to get hundreds of prospects whittled down to a ~5 players signing on the dotted line. At each step of the way, coach and recruit doing a dance to signal the level of their interest - are they each others' top choice or backup choice? Seeing the sausage made is full of heartbreak and disappointment, as most players don't sign on. A coach probably isn't pushing hard enough if a lot of the potential players aren't out of our league. Still, it is the coach's job to make it happen. Even if FA and school policy aren't what they need to be, it's the coach's job to gradually make the school see the light.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-19-20 02:39 PM - Post#309289    

Haha, good I agree let's not take this thread off course!

As PF10 said, maybe we won't really end up being a finalist for Brandon Lieb, I don't have any insight, but hopefully we can surprise here and stay in the game.

We will absolutely offer a ton of kids that will not pick Penn, that's understandable and part of the game. We have offers out still to a lot of high quality kids, with lots of offers, and even some top 150 type ranked players. We surely won't get them all, nor should we, and that is OK.

Just hopefully we land a few of our top priority targets and then we will be in great shape. I really like our targets for this class, just need to convert on a few and we could have a great class.

Quake Show 
Junior

06-20-20 12:59 AM - Post#309294    

Not that it really matters, as Lieb has multiple other HM offers and seems like a four-year player, but Oklahoma State has a postseason ban for the 2020-21 season. They’re already losing their prized recruit as a result - for which the media coverage among people my age is extensive and negative.

Furthermore, I am cautiously optimistic about him receiving 2020 offers. Given the dubious nature of next season, Lieb choosing to classify as 2021 is made much more likely as the window for him to commit now for those programs is closing.

Again, I’m a current student without any ear to the program or what the staff’s thoughts are, so this is pure speculation. However, I think it merits some thought.

Quake Show 
Junior

06-20-20 01:13 AM - Post#309295    

In other news: Penn, Columbia, and Lehigh have reached out to Brooks ‘21 G Tyler Whitney-Sidney.

Holds offers from Brown, Yale, and as of yesterday, Lehigh - as well as others. I believe he attends to the same school as current 21 offer-holder George Smith (per verbal commits).

Most notably, he plays on the same AAU team as Casey Simmons - arguably our highest target in the ‘21 class. Can’t help but wonder if the team-up angle is being pursued by Donahue and Company.

We will have to see if we decide to pull the trigger, but if we do he looks like a solid guard with a good shot, handle, and athleticism.

https://basketballrecruit ing.rivals.com/news/intro...

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-20-20 01:44 AM - Post#309296    

Hello and welcome! Great to have new folks join. Nice find, looks like a good prospect for sure. He just got an offer from Lehigh today.

Saw this update from Twitter yesterday:

Jake Lieberman
@jakeliberman2
Rising senior, Tyler Whitney Sidney (@twhitneysidney) tells me that he has been speaking with Columbia, Penn, Lehigh, and East Carolina recently. No offers from them yet, though.

Another one to watch for sure.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
06-20-20 01:59 PM - Post#309312    

Seems a bit odd to me that we don't do a better job recruiting the Chicago area. Looking at recent rosters, there are 3 shoe company AAU teams and several players from those teams have come to Ivy's. In addition, there are 5-6 high end high schools that put out Ivy caliber students (and athletes) so it wouldn't be hard to get a foothold there.

Some of the Ivy players from Chicago AAU teams include: Tai Bibbs (Columbia/Meanstreets-Nik e), Mike Smith (Columbia-MacIrvin Fire-Nike), Perry Cowan (Brown-Ill Wolves-Under Armour), Cirian Brayboy (Harvard-Ill Wolves-UA), Jameel Alausa (Yale-non shoe AAU), Max Rothschild (Penn-Ill Wolves-UA), Evan Beaudreau (Dartmouth-non shoe AAU).

Louis Lesmond and Brandon Lieb are both from Ill Wolves AAU so it's not at all unfamiliar to Ivy Coaches. In addition the Wolves had Chasson Randle who starred at Stanford and played a year with the Knicks so they are obviously a fertile ground for occasional Ivy recruits.

I know we have a committment to the Philadelphia area and schools within a 2-3 hr drive of campus, but our current roster has plenty of kids from further out. It wouldn't take much of a committment to cover 3 AAU programs and 5 schools so I'd like to see us do better in places like that which consistently have Ivy recruits.

Page 2 of 26 <2345>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.152 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:39 AM