Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 26 « First<5678>» Last
Username Post: New 2021 Recruiting Thread        (Topic#24423)
Quake Show 
Junior

Reg: 03-04-20
06-25-20 01:54 PM - Post#309597    
    In response to penn nation

Where does this leave us with 2021 bigs?

Lieb committing to Illinois means the only big that we’ve offered and still has us on their list is Franck Kepnang - which is as big a moonshot as any.

Unless someone has other information - I don’t think we’ve extended any other offers, just interest.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
New 2021 Recruiting Thread
06-26-20 01:19 AM - Post#309621    
    In response to Quake Show

A new forward I just saw us mention with is Ian Schieffelin, 6’9” 225 forward from Georgia.

Jake Lieberman
@jakelieberman2
Rising senior Ian Schieffelin, (@ian_schieffelin) tells me that Clemson, Virginia Tech, Penn, Wofford, Charleston, and Western Carolina have shown interest. He holds offers from Georgia State, App State, Richmond, Charlotte, and others.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ian-schieffel ...

So no offer yet but sounds like we have interest.

Quake Show 
Junior

06-26-20 10:25 AM - Post#309624    
    In response to Mike Porter

Ed Holland released his top 8:

Finally some good news! Penn is involved along with Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Penn State, VCU, Rhode Island, and Providence.

A good mix of mid majors along with a few HM programs, unfortunately we can’t pursue the AAU-team up route with his teammate Stevie Mitchell. Hoping for some good fortunes here.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
06-27-20 01:44 PM - Post#309667    

Looks like a guy we could really use, and it would be nice for us to get a Friends Central guy - especially with such academic and character chops. He has a great mix of skills on offense - his team clearly felt comfortable setting him up for three pointers a few steps behind the arc. He can get to the hoop very quickly and elusively. Finally, he has the now scarce mid-range game. I like that his mid-range game is built on some repeatable and more reliable foundations - a turnaround around the rim and the pull-up a little further out. That translates much better to the next level than leaning and athletic shots. I didn't see his defense on video, but I liked reading about his wingspan.

https://www.inquirer.com/high-school-sports/pe nnsy...

• jmw Said:
Ed Holland released his top 8:

Finally some good news! Penn is involved along with Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Penn State, VCU, Rhode Island, and Providence.

A good mix of mid majors along with a few HM programs, unfortunately we can’t pursue the AAU-team up route with his teammate Stevie Mitchell. Hoping for some good fortunes here.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
New 2021 Recruiting Thread
06-27-20 08:15 PM - Post#309672    
    In response to Penndemonium

Great news that we made Top 8 cut for Ed Holland III, and agree he looks like a great prospect. We have a bit of home court advantage, so I'm hoping that goes in our favor. I would think that he is certainly one of our top targets (and would guess he has been for some time). We offered very early in the process as well compared to most of the schools on his final list.

Other programming note - Casey Simmons committed to Northwestern, which I would imagine means that Princeton and Yale could also be prioritizing Ed Holland III (though there isn't a public offer from Princeton as of yet, they did have him on for a Zoom pitch recently).

For me, this recruitment is an important one to watch, considering strong competition in league and with very good mid-high major programs.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Re: New 2021 Recruiting Thread
06-27-20 08:29 PM - Post#309673    

• Mike Porter Said:
A new forward I just saw us mention with is Ian Schieffelin, 6’9” 225 forward from Georgia.

Jake Lieberman
@jakelieberman2
Rising senior Ian Schieffelin, (@ian_schieffelin) tells me that Clemson, Virginia Tech, Penn, Wofford, Charleston, and Western Carolina have shown interest. He holds offers from Georgia State, App State, Richmond, Charlotte, and others.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ian-schieffel ...

So no offer yet but sounds like we have interest.

Know we haven't offered him yet, but his recruiting is picking up. Apparently played very well in AAU tournament this morning, and Clemson offered this evening. Not sure how much in the mix we are, but just FYI for those following along.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-27-20 08:39 PM - Post#309674    

Looks like Hysier Miller and Ed Holland III were playing some pickup games today along with 4*, Top 100, 2022 target Jameel Brown (all offered by Penn). Would sure be nice if one of them committed and started personally recruiting the rest!

Tweet from Miller's HS coach (and for those who don't follow Philly recruiting, that is A LOT of good players right there in those pickup games):

John Brennan, Ed.D.
@imjohnbrennan
Got my hoops fix at the
@jaydoefilms runs today. Hysier “Fabb” Miller, Zaakir Williamson, Nisine “Wooga” Poplar, Rahsool Diggins, Ed Holland, Jameel Brown, Jaylen Stinson, Aaron Lemon-Warren, Marcus Randolph, Malik Edwards, etc. #GoodBump

Quake Show 
Junior

06-27-20 09:47 PM - Post#309675    

Casey Simmons committed to Northwestern, per Twitter.

Wishing him luck in the Big 10, but I would be lying if part of me isn’t thankful it’s not Yale or Princeton.

Quake Show 
Junior

06-27-20 09:52 PM - Post#309676    

Also an update on Andy Barba: 2021 6’ 6” SF

http://endlessmotor.net/2020/06/27/one-on-one -with...

Penn is mentioned here, he doesn’t speak on his recruitment beyond offers though, so no further insight on that. What’s very impressive though is what his coaches are saying about his development over quarantine. Hopefully, we can maneuver a steal here, something Coach Donahue has talked about capitalizing on: the absence of HM recruiting developments alongside an AAU season.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
06-27-20 10:09 PM - Post#309677    

• Mike Porter Said:
Great news that we made Top 8 cut for Ed Holland III, and agree he looks like a great prospect. We have a bit of home court advantage, so I'm hoping that goes in our favor. I would think that he is certainly one of our top targets (and would guess he has been for some time). We offered very early in the process as well compared to most of the schools on his final list.

Other programming note - Casey Simmons committed to Northwestern, which I would imagine means that Princeton and Yale could also be prioritizing Ed Holland III (though there isn't a public offer from Princeton as of yet, they did have him on for a Zoom pitch recently).

For me, this recruitment is an important one to watch, considering strong competition in league and with very good mid-high major programs.

Princeton's offers are almost never public for some reason. I've basically just started assuming that any time they make a top 8 type list it means there's been an offer

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
06-28-20 07:44 AM - Post#309680    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Correct. Princeton generally stays very quiet on the trail. Tend to only find out they’re involved when a recruit mentions them or when they’re up against another Ivy. And because they go their own way a fair deal, pretty frequently neither of those gets tripped for a particular recruit.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
06-28-20 08:56 AM - Post#309682    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
Correct. Princeton generally stays very quiet on the trail. Tend to only find out they’re involved when a recruit mentions them or when they’re up against another Ivy. And because they go their own way a fair deal, pretty frequently neither of those gets tripped for a particular recruit.

Princeton has always seemed to me to be the one school that has valued system fits above all else. There are particular skills they've looked for, i.e., bigs who are comfortable operating out of the high post, for example. Henderson seems to have moved away from that model more recently, as his version of their offense has evolved.

Quake Show 
Junior

06-29-20 11:59 PM - Post#309739    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Not that we have a shot, but recruit news nonetheless:

Per Stockrisers, Franck Kepnang will not reclassify to 2020, choosing to stay in the 2021 class.

In addition, he states all schools that have offered are still involved, meaning we are technically still in the race (but even last place is still in the race). St. John's, Vanderbilt, and Maryland are probably the most heavily involved.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

06-30-20 06:52 PM - Post#309774    

George Smith from the Brooks School committed to Penn. Ranked 17 in NERr rankings for class of 2021

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

06-30-20 07:56 PM - Post#309776    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Video: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13955230/5e73 dd37e985...

Reminds me a little of Matt Langel

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
06-30-20 08:18 PM - Post#309777    

I watched the Hudl video. What I liked was that he clearly can shoot from all over. He seemed to have Damian Lilliard license to shoot from anywhere. 10 feet beyond the arc? No problem. I also liked that he had good tools to create that shot by pulling up and also with a stepback move. That could be lethal. He seemed to have good downhill speed and decent athleticism and twitch.

There was so much I couldn't see on the video. Not many of his highlight shots seemed to come from movement away from the ball, which would be very important in D1. It would seem paramount once he is scouted by opposing coaches. Not much on his videos showed his court vision, ability to create for others, and defense.

We undoubtedly need shooters, so I'll cheer for this. He can clearly play - I just can't tell how he'll stack up in the league. If I were him, I'd study and practice Rip Hamilton and Ray Allen videos and do defensive footwork drills all summer.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
06-30-20 10:31 PM - Post#309784    

Great news! Glad to be on the board for next year’s class. Seems like a good get — #17 in NERR is higher than Pitcher (or, for that matter, Lorca-Lloyd).

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
06-30-20 10:56 PM - Post#309785    

Also liked the fact that he is a lefty - always makes it just a little harder to guard.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
07-01-20 01:04 AM - Post#309788    
    In response to SomeGuy

Definitely great news to get 2021 class off and running.

A few thoughts on Smith:
- We offered him almost a year ago after his sophomore year, so clearly thought highly of him and had him targeted early. Think the staff is very good at identifying talent, so like that we got a commitment now.
- His mix tape couldn’t be more suited to be a fit for Donahue’s offense - 85% 3’s, 10% layups, 5% midrange jumpers.
- Can’t find high school or AAU stats to know about %s, but his mixtape shows him hitting 3’s just about every conceivable way possible - off the dribble, step back, leading the break, trailing the break, off the curl, from a mile away, etc.
- Good size for a shooting guard, like that he is a lefty, and noticed it didn’t stop him from using his right hand for attacking the basket.

SG - definitely a good NERR ranking based on historical performance, but note that his ranking is not better than MLL’s was at the same stage of their HS careers. MLL was top 10 after his junior year, maybe even Top 5. After his senior year didn’t quite live up to that projection, he ended up at 25. Note that the rankings usually get shaken up heading into fall and sometimes kids drop as more kids decide to prep, so that is a ranking to watch (assuming any games are played). Note this isn’t a knock and still a good ranking for a prospect for us.

Hopefully just the start of a quality class!

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
07-01-20 07:58 AM - Post#309793    

Don’t know much about the kid, but man, did anyone else see his videos and immediately think... Makai Mason???

As for NERR... its rankings for New England kids tend to be better than the national outlets. But Mike is right, you have to wait until the new prep arrivals get added and senior year output is weighed. There is usually a pretty substantial reshuffle in the December. I don’t know where George will end up, but I’d suspect Pitcher will be around, if not in, the Top 10.

Page 5 of 26 « First<5678>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.464 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:04 AM