Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Ivy League Fall Sports Announcement        (Topic#24504)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
07-08-20 10:43 AM - Post#310137    
    In response to palestra38

I'm actually agreeing with you, just adding some thoughts of my own.

My daughter's school is one of the smaller schools you are referring to that is bringing most of their kids back to campus and delivering a significant piece of the course catalog in person. We are all extremely grateful for that (as long as they can make it last.)

palestra38 
Professor

07-08-20 12:23 PM - Post#310139    
    In response to Streamers

I have a nephew at Emory--they are doing the same thing

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
Ivy League Fall Sports Announcement
07-08-20 04:29 PM - Post#310144    

Mike Jensen just tweeted that there will be NO IVY SPORTS until at least JANUARY 2021. In other words, not only no fall sports but no winter sports until January - there goes the trip to TCU and Myrtle Beach for the tournament there (and probably at least 2 Big 5 Games). Let's see what other conferences do.

Edited by SteveChop on 07-08-20 04:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
07-08-20 05:37 PM - Post#310149    
    In response to SteveChop

Understandable, unfortunate, and not surprising, but disappointing none the less. Let's see what other conferences do and also see if this has any impact on our roster...

fdiapmf 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-03-05
07-08-20 05:52 PM - Post#310151    

Is Penn going to be primarily online for the fall?

Are these colleges, esp HYP doing online to protect the health of their faculty? I'm assuming most of their faculty are in their 50s-60s and their most valuable asset?

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
07-08-20 06:00 PM - Post#310152    
    In response to fdiapmf

Here is a copy of the Press Release to be issued by the Ivy League at 6 PM today

Ivy League Outlines Intercollegiate Athletics Plans; No Competition In Fall Semester

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Amidst continuing health and safety concerns due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Ivy League Council of Presidents has set in place plans for intercollegiate athletics activity in the upcoming fall semester.

With the safety and well-being of students as their highest priority, Ivy League institutions are implementing campus-wide policies including restrictions on student and staff travel, requirements for social distancing, limits on group gatherings, and regulations for visitors to campus. As athletics is expected to operate consistent with campus policies, it will not be possible for Ivy League teams to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition prior to the end of the fall semester.

Practice and other athletic training opportunities for enrolled student-athletes will be permitted provided they are structured in accordance with each institution’s procedures and applicable state regulations. The Ivy League will also issue guidelines on a phased approach to conditioning and practice activities to allow for interaction among student-athletes and coaches that will begin with limited individual and small group workouts and build to small group practice sessions, if public health conditions permit.

Fall sport student-athletes will not use a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility in the fall, whether or not they enroll. Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date.

Local campus policies for the student body regarding return to campus and in-person learning will apply to student-athletes.

A decision on the remaining winter and spring sports competition calendar, and on whether fall sport competition would be feasible in the spring, will be determined at a later date.

The Ivy League Council of Presidents offered the following joint statement:

“As a leadership group, we have a responsibility to make decisions that are in the best interest of the students who attend our institutions, as well as the faculty and staff who work at our schools. These decisions are extremely difficult, particularly when they impact meaningful student-athlete experiences that so many value and cherish.

With the information available to us today regarding the continued spread of the virus, we simply do not believe we can create and maintain an environment for intercollegiate athletic competition that meets our requirements for safety and acceptable levels of risk, consistent with the policies that each of our schools is adopting as part of its reopening plans this fall.

We are entrusted to create and maintain an educational environment that is guided by health and safety considerations. There can be no greater responsibility — and that is the basis for this difficult decision.”

Ivy League Council of Presidents

Christina Paxson, Brown University

Lee Bollinger, Columbia University

Martha Pollack, Cornell University

Philip Hanlon, Dartmouth College

Lawrence Bacow, Harvard University

Amy Gutmann, University of Pennsylvania

Christopher Eisgruber, Princeton University

Peter Salovey, Yale University

Edited by SteveChop on 07-08-20 06:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jay O 
Masters Student

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-16-09
07-08-20 06:09 PM - Post#310154    
    In response to SteveChop

As much as I miss watching sports, this is the right thing to do.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
07-08-20 06:57 PM - Post#310156    
    In response to penn nation

I'm skeptical about a basketball season too. Watching the difficulty in bringing back pro sports and implementing the right protocols makes the college basketball season feel unlikely. The NCAA cannot safely isolate the league in a DisneyWorld bubble. Testing players prior to games would also be problematic, since the players also need to attend classes and have longer travel times. A potential vaccine seems unlikely to arrive in time to save the season.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
07-08-20 07:09 PM - Post#310157    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
The NCAA cannot safely isolate the league in a DisneyWorld bubble.

And believe you me--that aint no bubble:

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/union-says- dis...

Quake Show 
Junior

Reg: 03-04-20
07-08-20 07:19 PM - Post#310160    
    In response to penn nation

Per Mike Jensen on Twitter:

“ Just got off the phone with Penn AD Grace Calhoun ... they haven't ruled out any Ivy fall sports playing in the spring, all TBD, and the ADs will seek clarification from Ivy presidents about whether teams could play games during the break between the fall and spring semesters.”

I also am seeing talk in regards to CBB being pushed to a spring-only season to await the progression of the pandemic and a possible vaccine. All is not lost, but I agree with the decision, as much as I’ll miss Palestra games this fall. Unlike keeping students on campus, traveling teams interact with so many people and locales that it’s just too risky. If only it wasn’t such a battle in the US to convince people to wear masks and social distance...

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
07-08-20 07:24 PM - Post#310161    
    In response to Quake Show

Probably going to charge full price for season tix though right? Ha.

Quake Show 
Junior

07-08-20 07:53 PM - Post#310162    
    In response to PennFan10

Yes, and refuse to give us students free tickets once the 250-mark is reached despite having thousands of empty seats remaining.

Clearly seem interested in both keeping their longtime fans and acquiring new ones.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
07-08-20 08:03 PM - Post#310163    

Operators are standing by

From a liability perspective this puts pressure on the other conferences to follow suit

Edited by 10Q on 07-08-20 08:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Quake Show 
Junior

Re: Ivy League Fall Sports Announcement
07-08-20 08:50 PM - Post#310167    
    In response to 10Q

I hear rumors that the patriot league is about to follow suit

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
07-09-20 03:52 PM - Post#310197    

The tweet that sticks with me from a few days after the tournament announcement still holds true now: "imagine fading Harvard." There will not be fall sports anywhere. This isn't really a question anymore. These conferences can bide all the time they want, but it's not going to work.

I do, however, worry about losing a player or two in the interim...

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.29 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:38 AM