Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Username Post: Ivy Season        (Topic#24711)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
09-22-20 10:35 AM - Post#313766    

Earlier this morning, ESPN mentioned some thoughts on the Ivy basketball season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...

- Is everyone playing nonconference games?
Had this question been posed in early September, the answer would have undoubtedly been more emphatic ... and negative. Around that time, there was a serious industry belief that the ACC wasn't planning to play nonconference games. Had the ACC bailed on nonconference, there's a good chance other leagues would have followed. But as it stands, nearly every conference is planning for nonconference games. I reached out to at least one source in all 32 leagues, and I would be surprised if more than one or two conferences opt out of nonconference as a whole.

The Ivy League remains a prime candidate to sit out nonconference. It announced in the summer it would not have any competition until after the first semester, and the schools in the league that have gone to exclusively remote learning are unlikely to bring back students or student-athletes until January. There's a substantial chance the Ivy goes conference-only, and doesn't start until mid-to-late January. -

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
10-01-20 12:07 PM - Post#314365    
    In response to rbg

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1 311693752...

Jon Rothstein is reporting that the Patriot League will forego non-conference play, and is expected to start an 18 game league only schedule on January 1

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
10-01-20 01:27 PM - Post#314372    
    In response to welcometothejungle

What are the eligibility implications of that? If teams play a shortened, single semester season, could players potentially maintain a semester of eligibility? I’m thinking back to a couple of instances in the past where an Ivy player was only eligible for a partial season.

One other (crazier) thought — if the Ivy goes conference only, could we play more than 14 games? A 28 game season where you play everybody 4 times? A 14 game season, but with a full conference preseason tournament to open the year?

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
10-01-20 01:50 PM - Post#314373    
    In response to SomeGuy

Creative thinking, but I would be shocked if it were anything other than a 14 game schedule and a tournament

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
10-01-20 03:40 PM - Post#314384    
    In response to SomeGuy

• Quote:
If teams play a shortened, single semester season, could players potentially maintain a semester of eligibility?

Unless there's some special NCAA edict, then no. The Ivy League deals in semesters because of some schools' eight-semester rule, but the NCAA deals in seasons. Their rules essentially are that if you step foot on the court, that's a season. You can get a medical redshirt, if needed, but no more than 30% of games can be played and none in the second half of the season (why Aiken would have been DQed as a grad transfer if he stepped on the court at Dartmouth).

Without a special rule, no matter how many games the Ivy plays, that's a season.

rbg 
Postdoc

Ivy Season
10-01-20 04:47 PM - Post#314389    
    In response to mrjames

As we continue this thread, I wanted to post a reminder about the original schedule.

(Since that post, the site of the Tournament has been changed to Harvard)

• Quote:
01-28-20 12:58 PM - Post#297649

https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/1/27/mens-b asketba...

A 10-week schedule for the next 2 years. Next year's schedule will begin on Saturday 1/2/21. There will be 3 Fri/Sat Back-to-Back weekends. There will be another 2 game weekend with a game on Saturday and another on MLK Day. The last weekend will have a single game against a team's travel partner.

Below is the league's schedule with my guesses with the dates for next season.

Week 1 (1/2/21) - 1 game
Week 2 (1/8/21 & 1/9/21) - 2 games back-to-back Fri/Sat
Week 3 (1/16/21 & 1/18/21) - 2 games (Sat & MLK Day)
Week 4 (1/22/21 or 1/23/21) - 1 game
Week 5 (1/29/21 or 1/30/21) - 1 game
Week 6 (2/5/21 & 2/6/21) - 2 games back-to-back
Week 7 (2/12/21 or 2/13/21) - 1 game
Week 8 (2/19/21 & 2/20/21) - 2 games back-to-back
Week 9 (2/26/21 or 2/27/21) - 1 game
Week 10 (3/5/21 or 3/6/21) - 1 game vs Travel Partner

Week 11 (3/12/21 - 3/14/21) - Ivy Tournament at Princeton

That schedule has 10 weeks in the regular season. If adding in the weekend of 12/25-12/27 (the first weekend without any school having fall semester finals), the regular season could be as long as 11 weeks.

They could keep that schedule or tweek it slightly (Fri/Mon, Tues/Fri, Wed/Sat if they don't want to do back/back games) to get the 14 games in that timeframe and maybe even have an open weekend in case any games are postponed.

Edited by rbg on 10-01-20 04:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrjames 
Professor

Re: Ivy Season
10-14-20 09:41 AM - Post#314875    
    In response to rbg

I've sorta stayed out of this until now for a variety of reasons, but I think the next time we'll see Ivy basketball is Nov. 2021.

Not saying that there's anything definitive yet, but barring some crazy turn of events, that definitive cancellation is a when, not an if.

palestra38 
Professor

10-14-20 09:51 AM - Post#314876    
    In response to mrjames

We may lose a lot of kids because of this. That's not my value judgment, just an observation.

mrjames 
Professor

10-14-20 09:57 AM - Post#314877    
    In response to palestra38

My hope is no, at least from the recruit side - namely, that the reasons a student-athlete would pick an Ivy are stickier than a season not happening. But that's probably a naïve view.

Certainly will create eligibility issues for current players and a TON of grad transfers down the line. Also, think there are some current players we could lose even before the grad point.

So, yeah, you'd hope not, but I tend to agree...

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
10-14-20 10:36 AM - Post#314879    
    In response to mrjames

Disappointing, but I don't see a season either. Hope we're wrong.

Those who graduate on track and are grad transfers will receive an unintended benefit.

Yale, Dartmouth and Brown should be most disappointed if this upcoming season (and seniors) are lost. Could change if some seniors take a gap year.

Harvard, Penn, Columbia and Cornell are in midst of reloading, so this would have been a transition year. Princeton still has to adapt to graduation of Aririzugoh.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
10-14-20 11:03 AM - Post#314880    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Only caveat is that Dartmouth’s chances for this year probably went out the window with Knight’s injury. 2020 strikes again.

rbg 
Postdoc

10-14-20 11:19 AM - Post#314881    
    In response to SomeGuy

For those still holding onto hope for a season, maybe the Ivy League can look at the CAA which announced its conference schedule about an hour ago.

The 10 team league will play between January 2nd and February 28th. Each team will be scheduled for 18 games, which will generally be on Saturday and Sunday with two teams playing at the same venue each day. The exception is that the 5 travel partners will get a home & home either on a Thursday/Saturday or Saturday/Monday.

The women will follow the same schedule as the men, just at the opposite venues.

No word on any conference tournament. The league announcement does mention that a tiebreaking format will be announced in the next several weeks.

https://caasports.com/news/2020/10/13/caa-a nnounce...

https://caasports.com/documents/2020/10/13/ /2020_2...

https://caasports.com/documents/2020/10/13/ /2020_2...

Saturday, January 2
Elon at Northeastern
William & Mary at Hofstra
UNCW at Drexel
Charleston at Delaware
James Madison at Towson

Sunday, January 3
Elon at Northeastern
William & Mary at Hofstra
UNCW at Drexel
Charleston at Delaware

Monday, January 4
Towson at James Madison

Thursday, January 7
Northeastern at Hofstra

Saturday, January 9
Towson at Elon
Delaware at William & Mary
Hofstra at Northeastern
James Madison at UNCW
Drexel at Charleston

Sunday, January 10
Towson at Elon
Delaware at William & Mary
James Madison at UNCW
Drexel at Charleston

Saturday, January 16
Elon at James Madison
William & Mary at Drexel
Northeastern at Charleston
Hofstra at Delaware
UNCW at Towson

Sunday, January 17
Elon at James Madison
William & Mary at Drexel
Northeastern at Charleston
Hofstra at Delaware
UNCW at Towson

Sunday, January 24
Drexel at Elon
Charleston at William & Mary
James Madison at Northeastern
Towson at Hofstra
Delaware at UNCW

Saturday, January 30
Elon at Delaware
William & Mary at Towson
Northeastern at Drexel
Hofstra at UNCW
Charleston at James Madison

Sunday, January 31
Elon at Delaware
William & Mary at Towson
Northeastern at Drexel
Hofstra at UNCW
Charleston at James Madison

Saturday, February 6
Delaware at Northeastern
Drexel at Hofstra
Towson at Charleston
UNCW at Elon
James Madison at William & Mary

Sunday, February 7
Delaware at Northeastern
Drexel at Hofstra
Towson at Charleston
UNCW at Elon
James Madison at William & Mary

Thursday, February 11
Delaware at Drexel

Saturday, February 13
Elon at Charleston
William & Mary at UNCW
Northeastern at Towson
Hofstra at James Madison
Drexel at Delaware

Sunday, February 14
Elon at Charleston
William & Mary at UNCW
Northeastern at Towson
Hofstra at James Madison

Thursday, Feb. 18
William & Mary at Elon

Saturday, February 20
Elon at William & Mary
UNCW at Northeastern
Charleston at Hofstra
Towson at Drexel
James Madison at Delaware

Sunday, February 21
UNCW at Northeastern
Charleston at Hofstra
Towson at Drexel
James Madison at Delaware

Thursday, February 25
Charleston at UNCW

Saturday, February 27
Hofstra at Elon
Northeastern at William & Mary
Delaware at Towson
Drexel at James Madison
UNCW at Charleston

Sunday, February 28
Hofstra at Elon
Northeastern at William & Mary
Delaware at Towson
Drexel at James Madison

rbg 
Postdoc

Ivy Season
10-14-20 01:52 PM - Post#314888    
    In response to rbg

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2020/10/13/yale- ath...

After over three weeks of limited in-person athletic activity in Phases I and II, Yale Athletics is reverting to Phase 0 until at least Oct. 21 after six members of the Yale men’s hockey team tested positive for COVID-19.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2020/10/14/yale- ath...

With Yale athletics at Phase 0, where do the other Ivies stand?

Brown: Phase 1

- Christopher Humm, the director of athletic communications at Brown, told the News that strength and conditioning practice has resumed in Providence, noting that regulations vary across varsity teams in and out of season.

“The University will make a decision to advance to Phase II when it determines that it’s safe for the entire Brown community to move forward,” Humm added. -

Columbia: Phase 0

- While Columbia Athletics declined to comment, women’s tennis player Tatiana Ziff ’24 shared that she and other Lions are in a similar position because Columbia is also fully remote this semester.

“Basically right now Columbia is fully remote, and that includes athletics,” Ziff said. “They were about to open the gym to student-athletes … [but] that has been postponed for two weeks, so we are waiting on that. Besides that, we do not have access to any other athletic facilities.” -

Cornell: Phase 1

- In Ithaca, the Big Red have moved past Phase 0 and began Phase I on Sept. 29, according to The Cornell Daily Sun. Cornell Athletics did not respond to requests for comment on when the University plans to transition into Phase II.

Dartmouth: Phase 2

- Dartmouth’s Director of Varsity Athletics Communications Rick Bender detailed a similar timeline for the Big Green.

“The Dartmouth Athletics Reopening Task Force has been working diligently since March to return our student-athletes to some level of athletic activity in accordance with Ivy League and College policy as well as state and federal guidelines,” he said. “We were able to begin Phase I activity in late September after successfully completing the College quarantine period. Programs began transitioning to Phase II after satisfying our internal criteria for Phase I.”

“Right now we are excited that we have been able to resume any level of skill instruction and sport-related activity,” added Bender.

Volleyball player Ellie Blain ’24 told the News that Dartmouth entered Phase I on Sept. 28 and entered Phase II on Oct. 5. -

- Up north at Dartmouth, Bender said the decision to transition into Phase III will need to come in consultation with the broader college leadership. -

Harvard: Phase 2

- The Harvard Crimson reported that the school began Phase II on Oct. 5, exactly one week after the Crimson started Phase I on Sept. 28. -

- Although Harvard Athletics did not return the News’ requests for comment, spokesperson Tim Williamson told the Crimson earlier this month that he doubts the school will reach Phase III because increased group capacity and the relaxation of social distancing measures would run counter to Harvard policies. -

Penn - Phase 0

- “Since we have no students on campus, there is no [phasing-in] of any athletic activity nor will there be for the entirety of [the] fall semester,” Penn’s Director of Athletic Communications Mike Mahoney told the News. -

Princeton- Phase 0

- Similarly, Princeton has the large majority of their undergraduate population learning remotely and have not begun reopening athletic facilities. Student-athletes are, however, meeting virtually with their teams in accordance with NCAA and Ivy League guidelines. -

Yale: Phase 0 (from Phase 2)

- Last Wednesday, Yale teams entered Phase II of the three-tiered Ivy League plan to resume athletic activities before the Bulldogs returned to Phase 0 Tuesday evening after the emergence of a COVID-19 cluster within the Yale men’s hockey team. -

Edited by rbg on 10-14-20 02:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
10-14-20 03:21 PM - Post#314893    
    In response to rbg

Per the Dartmouth football blog, Teevens reports that the Ivy League will contemplate a spring football season among teams that can participate.

He didn't name the likely teams, but based on the YDN article cited above, at present it looks like Dartmouth, Harvard, Brown, and Cornell have the best chances.

Of course, still a hell of a long shot...

Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
10-19-20 03:12 PM - Post#315062    
    In response to Go Green

Let us not forget that WBB would also be affected by this.

With Alarie having graduated but the Princeton Tigers still loaded with talent, many of us are looking forward to seeing if Carlie Littlefield can keep a Bella-less Princeton in the Top 25 for her senior season. It would be a shame if, as appears likely, circumstances prevent the team from showing what they can do on the court.

rbg 
Postdoc

10-29-20 10:28 AM - Post#315646    
    In response to Tiger84

ESPN Mid-majors 2020-21 predictions

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...

- Jeff Borzello, college basketball insider: I think eight of the nine conferences here have a very good chance of seeing themselves represented in the field of 68/whatever. The one exception might be the Ivy League. The conference already said it isn't playing games in 2020, and assuming the schools that did remote learning in the fall don't have students returning to campus until the second semester, a reasonable timeline for the season starting would be somewhere around February. And if those schools extend remote learning into the spring semester? Ivy schools are not the type to bring athletes back if everyone else is home. There's certainly hope within the league that it will figure things out and have a season, but it's fair to say that is up in the air right now.

If the worst-case scenario happens, the world might not get to see a really good Yale team that also would have likely made the NCAA tournament last season. Paul Atkinson is the best player in the conference -- and given that he already announced he plans to graduate and transfer in the spring, the world will see him soon enough. Yale might not get the same opportunity. -

The 3 reporters and bracketologist Joe Lunardi each pick Yale as the league champ.

Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
10-29-20 11:15 AM - Post#315647    
    In response to rbg

I've grudgingly accepted the sad reality, expressed by others much closer to the decision making class, that Ivy League intercollegiate sports will not resume until Fall, 2021.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
10-29-20 01:13 PM - Post#315654    
    In response to Naismith

Agreed.

Yale misses out bigly. Any news on what Swain is going to do? Atkinson and Swain would have like been first team All Ivy.

ivyrules 
Freshman

Reg: 11-27-17
10-29-20 01:22 PM - Post#315656    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I am wondering about Swain too and agree that Yale is a big loser in all of this.

Question is, beyond Yale, what will all the league's stars and upper classmen do?

If my son were a good player in the league with the ability to get a scholarship elsewhere, I'd be advising him to finish his Ivy degree online, then transfer and have 1 - 2 years of grad school paid for. Maybe even at a big time basketball school.

Am I crazy, or will the league lose a lot of talent due to the uncertainly, likelihood of no season + the extra year of eligibility?

Conversely, might the league bring in higher caliber recruits due to fewer scholarship openings at higher level programs? Hope so.

mrjames 
Professor

10-29-20 07:08 PM - Post#315675    
    In response to ivyrules

I mean, if there's no season in 20-21 (and it would be an absolute coup that would likely involve the league not doing the 8-0 thing it loves, so I think there's zero chance but am still obligated to pretend like there is...), Harvard's incoming "class" for the 2021-22 season right now would arguably be better than the 2016 class. So, it is very well positioned for the future.

Beyond Harvard, I'd say we're having a pretty usual Ivy recruiting year. That being said, we'd be unlikely to see the stronger recruiting until next year - when teams would start having fewer scholarships to offer given all the extra year players on their rosters.

I don't suspect net-net that we're likely to see much change in losing the season, aside from Yale being disadvantaged a bit because it was likely to be the best team heading into 2020-21 (though similar to 2019-20, if the tourney was going to be at Harvard, Harvard might have still been the slight favorite to win the bid this season). I do think it's possible we'll see a headline player or two that isn't a senior enter the transfer portal after the official cancellation is announced, but at a high level, this is a strange enough year that I don't see the Ivy's ultimate decision being all that impactful from a player perspective.

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.434 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:42 AM