Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Offensively challenged...defensively inconsistent        (Topic#2484)
Chuck 
Masters Student
Chuck
Reg: 11-21-04
02-18-06 04:07 AM - Post#15819    

I'm sure someone will soon post the usual "grades". But, some quick thoughts on a dreadful performance at the Heights...

1)This is certainly not the "worst Penn team in 15 years"...but, it may be the most offensively challenged team in quite a while. Ibby and Zoller are the offense. If either one of these guys has an off night the team is in trouble...against almost anyone.

2)DW is a good defender. But, his offense has become so woeful, so tentative that having him on the court for so many minutes is too much for a team that isn't loaded with scoring threats. I really think that Dunphy should think about starting Ebede and only spotting DW.

3)Talk about tentative offense...Danley kept getting the ball inside, then wasn't sure what to do until a passle of Lions were swarming over him and then struggled to get the ball to someone else.

4)I don't know how many passes Penn simply threw away tonight, 10? 12? Whatever it was, it was really bad.

5)Had a bad feeling when on Penn's first possession Oz runs the ball upcourt and fires up a three, immediately, with nobody underneath (missed). A display of disrespect for CU and an omen of what the game would be like. If his shoulder was bothering him what was this about? To put it kindly he did not play well.

6)How many times did CU come up with offensive rebounds at critical moments late in the game? Seemed like nobody was blocking out anyone and Danley was overwhelmed by 3-4-5 Lions.

7)Most important impressions I had were that the team did not come out ready against an overmatched team that wasn't just going to concede the game. Gotta look at Dunph on that one. Also, Ibby has to really assert himself. The guy had 24 points and I believe he could have scored 35 or 40. Columbia could not stop him from getting shots 12-15 feet from the basket and those shots were a lot more likely to go in than the 18 foot jumpers that Danley or anyone else took when IJ passed them the ball. Fact is, against Ivy opponents IJ is much, much better than anyone he is going to face, he should stick it to the other team until they overplay him to the point that they give up easy baskets. David, Oz, Danley are just not enough of a threat to be spreading the ball around when the other team can't stop your main guy. I'm not convinced that IJ is ready to say that "I'm the man" to the rest of the team, even though, he clearly is the man.

8)Lack of a guy that can consistently hit the corner jumper is a killer in this offense. Ball goes to the corner, nobody wants to take that shot, other team traps, wild pass results.

9)The refs were a joke, but not the reason Penn lost...middle of the first half Penn got serious and went on a 20-4 run to go up by 10. The settled back into sloppy play, poor rebounding, poor shot selection that was their mode of operation the rest of the game.

Barsports 

Reg: 03-28-05
Re: Offensively challenged...defensively inconsist
02-18-06 05:58 PM - Post#15820    
    In response to Chuck

I agree 100%. Coaching definitely has to be blamed when the team just doesn't show up to play. And I also think Fran deserves some criticism that he hasn't developed anyone enough to be able to play more than seven players. I'm not saying it is easy to develop players, and I know that Kach and Pettinella were supposed to be in the rotation this year, but I do think we are seriously hurt on nights when Danley and Oz are off because there really are no alternatives. This reminded me of the Colorado game, and early in the Nova game when shots were not going down, and he really had nowhere to turn. McMahon supposedly doesn't miss shots in practice, and the only way to make him less tentative in games is to give him significant minutes, so he isn't worried that one mistake will be a hook. We've played too many laughers in the last month not to have one of the freshman or Franklin develop into at least a servicable 8th man.

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Offensively challenged...defensively inconsistent
02-18-06 06:10 PM - Post#15821    
    In response to Chuck

Hey Chuck. Are we still playing guess the historical avatar? Isn't that MC Hammer?

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
02-18-06 06:49 PM - Post#15822    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

McMahon has been hurt, so it's kind of hard to give him playing time right now.

Chuck 
Masters Student
Chuck
02-18-06 09:11 PM - Post#15823    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

It could be that its in honor of the Olympics and the scintillating competition in curling (and I would appreciate any insights into what having "the hammer" in curling actually means...).

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Re: Offensively challenged...defensively inconsist
02-18-06 10:29 PM - Post#15824    
    In response to Chuck

It means your skip has the final stone in that end.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.137 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:07 PM