Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: A few comments        (Topic#2499)
BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
02-18-06 07:19 PM - Post#15879    

1. I really thought we were the better team...At least for 45 minutes. I hope the NCAA selection committee saw that.

2. We were way too complacent with the lead. We should have kept trying to score with 3-4 minutes left, rather than killing the clock.

3. The court storming has to be controlled. I am sure Bucknell fans would have done the same, so I am not saying UNI was out of line. However, they were expected to win, and all across the NCAAs, people are storming the court over wins that are far from "HUGE". Someone is going to get hurt.

4. You will see one pissed off team against Lehigh Wednesday.

5. I still have nightmares when we get pressed in the last few minutes.

6. That was a blatant travel on UNI when the guy switched pivots.

All in all, an incredibly painful loss to swallow, but I guess if we had to lose a game like that this late in the season, we may have picked the right time. We may still have a serious at-large shot, but let's just take care of business in the PL. I will be very interested to see what the "experts" say about our loss. Hopefully, we proved that we are as good as the MVC teams that are locks for the tourney.

This game could be a good learning experience down the stretch.

boxman 

Re: A few comments
02-18-06 07:29 PM - Post#15880    
    In response to BUFan

Quote:

3. The court storming has to be controlled. I am sure Bucknell fans would have done the same, so I am not saying UNI was out of line. However, they were expected to win, and all across the NCAAs, people are storming the court over wins that are far from "HUGE". Someone is going to get hurt.

Agreed, but they did beat a ranked team.

Quote:

Which will hopefully be good for HC.
realboxman.blogspot.com - Holy Cross Fan Blog

Bison1999 
Junior

Reg: 01-23-06
BUFan
02-18-06 07:40 PM - Post#15881    
    In response to boxman

I'm not sure I follow your logic. With UNI poppin' 3s like so much aspirin, why would the Bison play to kill the clock and limit the possessions?

I just don't see the advantage of giving the hot-shooting team an additional 2 or 3 possessions down the stretch.

Go Bison!

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Re: BUFan
02-18-06 07:46 PM - Post#15882    
    In response to Bison1999

To me, that is all the more reason. There was enough time for UNI to get 6-7 possessions down by 6. Therefore, with UNI nailing 3s left and right, Bucknell needed to score more. But, Bucknell basically gave up on looking for good shots. I mean obviously you want to be patient with the clock, but too often they waited until the very last second and put up an awful shot.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-18-06 07:49 PM - Post#15883    
    In response to BUFan

FYI, Andy Katz was just on ESPNEWS. He was talkin about how this was truly a game for the ages (Which it was once you get over the heartbreak of it...I think only MSU-Gonzaga was better this year). But, Katz also said Bucknell still has a real at-large chance if they make it to the PL final unharmed, but lose there. He did say the committee might frown on the championship loss being at home, but doesn't THINK that will keep us out. He said the committee will reward us for what we did out of the league b\c we can't help having to play the lower end of the PL.

Bison1999 
Junior

02-18-06 08:10 PM - Post#15884    
    In response to BUFan

At least I know where you're coming from. I still disagree.

As for an at-large bid -- it's a lovely thought but the pessimist in me wouldn't see it happening (although ESPN has gone a long ways towards making Bucknell a team to watch which, come selection time, will undoubtedly help). The optimist, however, says we won't need to worry about it, as the Bison will close out the PL championship.

Go Bison!

M.Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 02-11-06
02-18-06 08:29 PM - Post#15885    
    In response to Bison1999

I think what this game proved to a national audience is that we're not just a team beating up on a lower-RPI conference, but a legit top-tier mid-major team. Remember, from a national perspective, all they've seen of us this season is the Duke game, so I think this game helped more than it hurt (although it was very very painful... especially for me watching it with one of my best friends who is a UNI alum.)

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-18-06 08:40 PM - Post#15886    
    In response to M.Bison

I still say we leave this game with a better at large shot than we entered it with. It is still very painful, but it proved we are on the same level as some of these tourney locks.

On a side note, do you think our RPI will go up or down as a result of this game. I would imagine it wouldn't move much either way.

Panthers Win!! 

Reg: 01-30-06
02-18-06 09:33 PM - Post#15887    
    In response to BUFan

It’s too bad there had to be a loser in a game like that. Both teams showed they can play.

I’m not sure why it’s not okay for fans to storm the court after a double overtime nationally televised game against a ranked team. For gosh sake that was akin to a NCAA Tournament game. Let the fans enjoy a hard fought victory like that. The only concern of course would be if fans, players or coaching staffs were at risk of injury because of it. That’s possible (see Nebraska football player baited by fan) but seems to be extremely rare.

While the travel no-call against UNI’s Coleman was a miss by the refs there were plenty of calls going both ways that might have been called that weren’t. It was clear the Patriot League crew was going to let the teams decide the game by calling it very loosely.

It was the game I thought it would be and more. Bucknell played extremely well and had a chance to seal the victory at the end but made a few crucial mistakes giving UNI just enough wiggle room to get back into it. I suppose odds are you’re going to win a few close games and lose a few, given that UNI has lost it’s last two by a basket it was time to get one close one back.

If there was a scenario though where both teams could benefit, or at least the losing team lose the least it was what occurred out there today. Bucknell can say they should have won that and deserves their ranking. UNI can say they got a win against a very good team.

BISON82 

Reg: 02-18-06
02-19-06 01:00 AM - Post#15888    
    In response to Panthers Win!!

It will be very nice if they come out angry against Lehigh...would be great to kick them around a bit. And losing the pressure of an ongoing winning streak might not be bad. And the loss ought to be a good wake-up call. It probably makes an at-large bid a longshot at best. Here's hoping we can steamroll the rest of the regular season and crush everybody in the PL Tourney and not worry about atlarge bids or NIT games.

bison63 
Postdoc

02-19-06 03:27 AM - Post#15889    
    In response to BISON82

It wasn't the no call on the walk (we got away with a few ourselves), it wasn't taking time off the clock down the stretch--that after all is our game, limit the other teams possessions(in fact we were hurt by Lee putting up an ill advised jumper without taking any time off the clock), it wasn't the hot 3 shooting of UNI,. It was mistakes that could have and should have been under our control. That ill advised crosscourt pass in regulation and of course the full court bomb that took nothing off the clock. We lost it on our own account. I've stayed away from the board all day because I was so upset, but in the final anaysis we lost to a good team because we could not close the door, but other than losing that 24 that we borrowed from them, no real harm done. Beat Lehigh, win the tournament and hopefully get a seed that gives us a chance to play two teams that we have a chance to beat. Thats what we have to do now. If they do not come out loaded for bear against Lehigh, I will be very surprised.

Anonymous 

02-19-06 03:55 AM - Post#15890    
    In response to BUFan

Quote:

1. I really thought we were the better team...At least for 45 minutes. I hope the NCAA selection committee saw that.

2. We were way too complacent with the lead. We should have kept trying to score with 3-4 minutes left, rather than killing the clock.

5. I still have nightmares when we get pressed in the last few minutes.

6. That was a blatant travel on UNI when the guy switched pivots.

1. Agree that we looked better. The only thing that kept UNI in the game was their run of 3's while we were missing some shots.

2. Agree for the most part. I have no objection to taking SOME time off the clock with a lead but the Bison wait too long, not starting the offense until there are 10 or fewer seconds left. This is OK for a team that has one or two dominant players who can get their own shot whenever they want but it often does not leave enough time if you run a team offense like the Bison. I'd like to see them start the offense with at least 0:15 left.

6. Yes, it was one of the more flagrant travels that you'll see, leading directly to a basket.

One other thought. The lack of fouls on UNI ironically killed us at the end of OT1. They fouled but we kept the ball instead of shooting at the other end. Had we shot at the other end, the game is almost certainly over.

Panthers Win!! 

Reg: 01-30-06
02-19-06 04:22 AM - Post#15891    
    In response to BUFan

Just caught this on the Fox Sports site if you haven't seen it supporting maintaining the Bison in the Top 25 despite the loss:

"What it doesn't mean: Bucknell isn't worthy of its Top 25 ranking. A single spot in the nation's polls is not reserved for a mid-major representative. Given 21 wins and only one bad loss, the Bison deserve to remain in the Top 25 next week."

Link here for full article: http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5338866

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-19-06 01:38 PM - Post#15892    
    In response to BISON82

Yes, I hope we don't have to worry about at-larges, but the fact is, it will stay in the back of our minds. Therefore, I will mention that Doug Gottleib on College GameNight had nothing but praises for the Bison. He said that, while a tough loss, he thinks the game will actually help the Bison. They showed a national audience that they are a very good team. Gottleib said that if Bucknell wins their next four, but loses to a team like Lehigh in the PL final, they will be in. I also find it odd that he said Lehigh and not Holy Cross. This is the first time I have heard an analyst give Lehigh any credit. Everyone else seems to think HC is our only PL threat and forgets about Lehigh.

Anonymous 

02-19-06 03:19 PM - Post#15893    
    In response to BUFan

Good point, BU Fan...

Think about where Lehigh might be with Knight all season (and without the distractions) - I'd say he might have made a difference in up to 4 2005 games (which would make them 21-5 at this moment)...

Anybody (us or HC) overlooking them or discounting them is foolish - as they play great defense and have some weapons... I'm confident the Bison realize how big the game is on Wednesday.

jck45 
Junior

02-20-06 01:42 AM - Post#15894    
    In response to

Now that the pain has dulled, here are my two-cents:

Negatives:

1. McNaughton has to (and will) step up in the big games.
2. Vegotsky seems to have hit a wall and has to push through.
3. Not such a fan of the "prevent defense" or "prevent offense" or whatever that was. I guess it had just been too long since we played with a second half lead.
4. PL refs blow.

HUGE Silver Lining:
1. We took the class of the MVC to double OT on their court. That alone should keep everybody's head high. They needed to hit three after three just to beat us in double OT.
2. I knew we were a good team. Now I know we're a great team. Going into the danse, there will be no doubt that we can play with anybody.
3. A win would have all but assured us an 8 or 9 seed. Much more damage can be done from an 10, 11 or 12 seed.
4. If there is any team more suited to a neutral court game than us, I don't know it.
5. Fire up for Lehigh and the PL championship.
6. When another school's student body storms the court after beating the mighty Bucknell Bison, you know you're big time.

'ray Bucknell.

npyoung35 
Sophomore

02-20-06 04:39 AM - Post#15895    
    In response to jck45

seeing the UNI students was pretty cool...obviously it was a really upsetting end to a great game, but to think anybody would be that excited to beat us was a tiny bit of redemption

mcapodee 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-29-06
02-20-06 06:08 AM - Post#15896    
    In response to npyoung35

That game had such a postseason atmosphere. The 10.5 hours bus rides+flights+delays in each direction was well worth being there even though we didn't pull it out in the end. Obviously it would have been better if we had won, but it ranks up there with last year's PL Championship game in terms of games that make your heart beat like you are actually playing yourself.

Comeback wins are awesome... unless you are on the losing end.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-20-06 01:07 PM - Post#15897    
    In response to mcapodee

Gregg Doyel from cbs has not been too high on us all year, yet here is what he had to say after the UNI game (See "Best Loss")

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9249494

Hoop Time 
Sophomore
Hoop Time
02-20-06 02:35 PM - Post#15898    
    In response to BISON82

Going into the final last year, I wrote that the long HC win streak was actually a factor in Bucknell's favor. HC fans went nuts and said I was crazy, but I don't know any coaches who like the though of heading into the postseason on long win streaks.

Talking to Bill Gibbons, the HC women's coach, down at American Saturday, he agreed. He felt the loss will actually help Bucknell in the long run.

Nobody likes to lose. But if you had to pick a way to lose, this would be it. Non-conference, top-notch team, on the road, very close game. And it allows them to reload for the stretch run.

Gibbons said he thought Lehigh might catch Bucknell if Bucknell had won. Instead he expects the Bison to come out and play very well Wednesday.

I would agree with Gobbons assessment.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.518 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:30 AM