Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: One more Rick Hartzell Connection        (Topic#2509)
Anonymous 

02-19-06 04:26 AM - Post#15949    

I'll assume everyone knows about the situation with the clock not starting at the end of OT1 before UNI made the shot to tie it. Unless the rules for referees have changed, I believe the refereeing crew failed to follow protocol in the aftermath. In the past, in situations where the clock is not properly started, refs have used a stopwatch and the replay to determine if the shot was taken before time should have elapsed (in this case, 2.8 seconds). They clearly did not pull out a watch in this case; they only ludicrously checked to see if any time should be added following the made shot. I don't think this cost us the game, however, because I believe the shooter released the ball within 2 seconds, just about the time the shot was released. (BTW, if he had bobbled the ball all the way over to the sideline before picking it up, I wonder if the clock operator would have waited until then to start the clock.)

Anyway, this reminded me of a notorious situation of a clock not being started and the refereeeing crew following procedure by pulling out a stopwatch and timing a video replay multiple times. It happened in 1998 with Duke playing Virginia in a late season game that was crucial to Virginia's chances of an NCAA bid. With 5.0 seconds left, VA was shooting the second of two free throws in a tie game with a sub at the table waiting to replace the shooter (done to assure that the game would stop while their defense got set). The head referee was aware of the waiting sub. Anyway, the free throw was made, the horn was sounded, but then Duke inbounded without any ref stopping play. As Wojchiekowski (sp?) took the inbound pass near his own basket and raced upcourt, the clock did not start and the Virginia players were screaming at the table instead of just focusing on defense. Wojo was ultimately fouled as he went up for a layup. The clock now read 2.7 seconds - he had covered 94 feet in 2.3 seconds! The refs spent many minutes timing the play over and over again, and they finally ruled it had taken him less than 5 seconds so the play stood. He made the free throws to win the game.

The connection to today's game? The head referee, who failed to stop play and get the sub in, was none other than Rick Hartzell. He and his crew were reprimanded and suspended by the ACC due to the magnitude of the error, and Hartzell sent profuse apologies to the Virginia team. The only happy ending to this fiasco was that Virginia pulled an upset in their final game and got the bid after all.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
Re: One more Rick Hartzell Connection
02-19-06 01:40 PM - Post#15950    
    In response to

Wow, that is a very interesting point. Thanks, 137!

I agree with you that they should've followed the protocol, but I did hear someone on TV say that he stopwatched it and it was ok by a few tenths of a second.

jck45 
Junior

Reg: 01-24-06
Re: One more Rick Hartzell Connection
02-20-06 01:17 AM - Post#15951    
    In response to BUFan

What more would you expect from patriot league refs?

What about stopping the game at the request of UNI to check the Badmus three?? Play stood so they were charged a TO.

Since when are NFL style challenges allowed??

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.604 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:17 PM