Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Jordan Dingle and Max Martz        (Topic#25164)
DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
Reg: 11-21-04
03-17-21 02:53 PM - Post#322237    

Because I have been asked this enough...

I thought it was already out there, but I guess not.

Jordan Dingle and Max Martz withdrew from Penn for the semester. As happened when Jelani Williams did the same while injured, they are off the roster on the Penn website for the period of their withdrawal. But Dingle and Martz are not injured; they just made a choice.

They'll be back, and because they withdrew they preserve a semester of eligibility.

(And from this seat, I give a wide berth to college kids to make their own choices about their lives during the pandemic. Or generally.)
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

Edited by DCAJedi on 03-17-21 02:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
Re: Jordan Dingle and Max Martz
03-17-21 03:15 PM - Post#322239    
    In response to DCAJedi

• DCAJedi Said:
They'll be back, and because they withdrew they preserve a semester of eligibility.

Basketball is tricky, as the season covers both semesters. Do they sit out the first semester of their senior year, then start back in January?

(Didn't something like this happen to a Harvard player some years back? I seem to recall a rather talented Harvard big during Frank Sullivan's tenure who for some weird reason had to leave the basketball team midseason because he'd used up his eligibility. Was it Brian Sigafoos?)

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-17-21 03:23 PM - Post#322240    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Very, very close. Wrong tall Brian. Cusworth was the one, and he controversially chose the fall semester due to the old days of Harvard exams being in mid-January.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
03-17-21 04:23 PM - Post#322244    
    In response to mrjames

And let's not forget that the reason they essentially were FORCED to do this was because the IL Presidents, led by the HYP evil axis, decided that the IL had to be the ONLY DI CONFERENCE IN THE COUNTRY who could not even make a try at winter sports and, at the time these guys withdrew (and maybe still the case) would not permit a 5th year grad student to play. Thanks for those wonderful IL "leaders" who had no problem bringing students back to campus and raising tuition with screwing IL athletes royally.

mrjames 
Professor

03-17-21 04:39 PM - Post#322246    
    In response to SteveChop

Well, to be fair, Penn's in a pretty good spot here relative to HYP from the perspective that they don't have the eight-semester rule and these guys could potentially slow down their graduation and get a full extra year with a ninth semester.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

03-17-21 06:49 PM - Post#322258    
    In response to mrjames

Point taken but it's because of the IL superiority complex that forces them to have different rules than the rest of the country.

And if you don't think that the reason that the IL is not playing spring sports is because Yale and Princeton couldn't field lacrosse teams, I have some nice FL land for you.

mrjames 
Professor

03-17-21 07:06 PM - Post#322259    
    In response to SteveChop

I don’t know anyone associated with Ivy lacrosse, so that’s entirely possible. It does seem odd, though, that it would be those schools holding it up when the donor willing to bankroll the bubble season was a Yale lacrosse alum. I know nothing about the spring sports decision.

I do think the next couple months will be extremely important for 2021-22 Ivy hoops. While there will be a league season regardless, there are practical considerations for a non-league season, so defining guidelines around that with enough time to build a schedule that complies with those rules will be important. If the next couple months continue to see a decline in the risk, we’ll be in good shape, but any backslide that pushes clarity into the summer could imperil the non-conf a bit.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

03-17-21 11:33 PM - Post#322269    
    In response to mrjames

Mike

I certainly agree with your second paragraph. As to the schools, it is the Presidents, NOT people such as the Yale alum you reference, who want the IL to be noticed by taking (as far as I'm concerned) a "holier than thou" position as to athletics. We know that Ivy athletics are not a money maker so those kids can be sacrificed to get some good old-fashioned tuitions coming into the coffers.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.302 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:47 AM