Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: Any Whispers on New Women's Coach?        (Topic#25170)
Greenhorn 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
03-20-21 12:27 AM - Post#322327    

Seems like they ought to hire someone asap. The NCAA dead period is coming to an end.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-30-21 11:03 PM - Post#322657    
    In response to Greenhorn

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2021/2/24/wbb-ko c...

- Koclanes will remain in her role until March 31 before beginning her new position. A national search for the fifth head coach of the program will start immediately. -

Maybe there will be an announcement of an interim or permanent head coach in a few days.

rbg 
Postdoc

04-02-21 09:59 PM - Post#322916    
    In response to rbg

No news yet, but here's something from the UCLA women's coach that should peak the interest of (& a phone call from) the Big Green.

https://twitter.com/CoachCoriClose/status /13781220...

Cori Close
@CoachCoriClose

I have two outstanding people with Div I and WNBA championship level experience on my staff that are ready to be D1 coaches right now and would be great!! If you're looking for someone feel free to reach out to me!
7:08 PM · Apr 2, 2021

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
04-26-23 03:28 PM - Post#355904    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:
No news yet, but here's something from the UCLA women's coach that should peak the interest of (& a phone call from) the Big Green.

https://twitter.com/CoachCoriClose/status /13781220...

Cori Close
@CoachCoriClose

I have two outstanding people with Div I and WNBA championship level experience on my staff that are ready to be D1 coaches right now and would be great!! If you're looking for someone feel free to reach out to me!
7:08 PM · Apr 2, 2021

Was checking to see if there were any runner-ups for the WBB position from two years ago. No one mentioned in the threats, but I did see this nugget.

rbg- if you see similar posts out there, please let us know! You were also the one who noted the lack of D-1 experience from Shibles' staff when she hired everyone..

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
04-26-23 03:47 PM - Post#355906    
    In response to Go Green

Actually, there were rumors at the time that Shibles was the 3rd or 4th candidate Dartmouth offered. But keep in mind that hire was being done by an interim AD during covid year so the job was not a great one at all.

How much better it is now is up for debate. On the bright side any coach who comes in will almost surely see a record improvement next year.

Go Green 
PhD Student

04-26-23 03:51 PM - Post#355907    
    In response to CM

• CM Said:
Actually, there were rumors at the time that Shibles was the 3rd or 4th candidate Dartmouth offered.

No kidding?

Any inkling who else was offered? I mean, no harm in disclosing now...

CM 
Masters Student

04-26-23 03:55 PM - Post#355908    
    In response to Go Green

Never heard that much, no.

I do know it's not regarded as a great job as far as mid-major D1 positions go - recruiting to Hanover has been an issue for a long long time, with admissions help not forthcoming. As well, Hanlon's edict a couple years ago that he wanted to reduce the number of recruited athletes as a percentage of the student body for sure put a chill in the hiring process.

rbg 
Postdoc

04-26-23 06:52 PM - Post#355911    
    In response to CM

I haven't seen or heard any updates on a new women's coach. I recommend following Jenn Hatfield of The NEXT, who seems to have a lot of info on the IL.

https://twitter.com/jennhatfield1

Here is the Dartmouth job posting:

https://searchjobs.dartmouth.edu/postings/68143

They are looking for 6 years of coaching experience or the equivalent. If that's the case, I'm guessing Cy Lippold doesn't have enough experience to be in the running.

Over the last few years, Harvard went with a former Banghart assistant, Yale went with a Berube assistant and Brown went with a Merrimack coach who played at Bucknell. All three seem to be doing a good job.

You all know more than me, but it did seem that the old AD and interim AD often looked at D3 coaches for men's and women's basketball. Maybe this recent episode will lead them to a D1 hire.

It's a tough rebuild, but the team has great history and they are a part of one of the top mid-majors in the country.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
04-26-23 07:50 PM - Post#355913    
    In response to Go Green

Threads or tomorrow threats?

Go Green 
PhD Student

Any Whispers on New Women's Coach?
04-27-23 07:58 AM - Post#355919    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:

You all know more than me, but it did seem that the old AD and interim AD often looked at D3 coaches for men's and women's basketball. Maybe this recent episode will lead them to a D1 hire.

Koclanes was taken off American University's bench. At the time, it seemed like a nice hire. AU was a solid program (the former AU head coach is now at Wake Forest). Koclanes also had international experience.

I can't remember if Sheehy (re)-hired Cormier. But he came from the NBA.

True, Sheehy hired McLaughlin. He came from D-III. And Roby hired Shibles. She came from D-III.

Given Harrity's background, I think its a safe bet that he takes a D-I assistant looking to captain her own ship. Yes, the program needs a serious re-build. Yes, there are recruiting challenges. But it's got to be easier than Shibles made it look...

This will also be Harrity's first big decision as AD (making McCorkle interim head coach in football was a no-brainer). Should be very interesting to see the direction he chooses...

Edited by Go Green on 04-27-23 07:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CM 
Masters Student

Re: Any Whispers on New Women's Coach?
04-27-23 11:20 AM - Post#355924    
    In response to Go Green

Freshman Clare Meyer and sophomore Doreen Ariik are both in the transfer portal, meaning Big Green will only have one returning player taller than 6' next year. Unless new coach can convince both to stay in Hanover.

Go Green 
PhD Student

04-27-23 01:23 PM - Post#355928    
    In response to CM

• CM Said:
Freshman Clare Meyer and sophomore Doreen Ariik are both in the transfer portal, meaning Big Green will only have one returning player taller than 6' next year. Unless new coach can convince both to stay in Hanover.

One of these days, some actual *good* news is going to come out of the program...

If we're going to be stuck with a roster of short players, then Dartmouth's best chance of getting a couple of victories next season would be to implement a traditional Princeton Offense...

*sigh*

Greenhorn 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
Any Whispers on New Women's Coach?
04-28-23 03:48 AM - Post#355934    
    In response to Go Green

Sheehy was, of course, himself the product of a D3 program as the hoops coach and later AD at Williams. I suspect his experience played a role in his selection of McLaughlin. Not Great Bob.

Edited by Greenhorn on 04-28-23 03:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CM 
Masters Student

04-28-23 07:08 AM - Post#355935    
    In response to Greenhorn

To be fair, McLaughlin came from Northeastern where he was head of recruiting. So, yeah, the bulk of his experience was outside D1, but his position at NU was important.

rbg 
Postdoc

04-28-23 08:19 AM - Post#355936    
    In response to CM

Looking at Harrity's bio, he came to Dartmouth from Army. Before that, he worked for several years at Notre Dame.

Just throwing some names out based on that info...

At Army, he may have been involved in the hiring of Missy Traversi a few years ago. She grew up in Mass, played at Maine, coached her high school alma mater & Adelphi. She has been about .500 in her two years with Army.

He seems to have a good relationship with Muffet McGraw from his time at Notre Dame. Maybe she has given him input into anyone from her staff that is ready to be a D-1 head coach, like Michaela Mabrey.

Mabrey grew up in NJ and played for UND from '12-'16. She was two-time captain and her teams made it to 3 Final Four appearances. Between graduation and returning to UND, she was on the staff at Miami, Miami (OH) and LSU.

From his bio page -
“Michaela came to Notre Dame confident, knowledgeable and ready,” McGraw said. “I’ve been amazed with how she can break down film and do a scouting report. She can recruit with anybody, and against anybody, because she has that innate ability to relate to the players and the parents. The relationship she has fostered with the kids and developing them is something that you typically grow into, but she hit the ground running.”

CM 
Masters Student

04-28-23 09:04 AM - Post#355937    
    In response to rbg

My guess is new coach will have been a lead assistant at a mid-major, rather than second assistant at a Power5.

The simple fact is the Dartmouth job is not a great first head coach job for an up-and-coming young coach who wants to eventually coach in the Power5. The top teams in the Ivy League are really good right now and best case scenario for a new Dartmouth coach is, what, getting them to .500 within 4 years? High major coaching candidates are going to avoid that like the plague.

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
04-28-23 10:14 AM - Post#355941    
    In response to CM

I'm curious whether any Ivy assistants would bite. I'm thinking of Lauren Battista at Princeton, Tyler Cordell at Columbia, or Kelly Killion at Penn. Cy Lippold probably wishes Shibles had held on for another couple down years so she could gain more experience at Columbia (but then the rebuild here would be even harder).

I hadn't really thought about the Army or Notre Dame connections; the latter is especially and obviously intriguing. An assistant coach with capital as a player might make recruiting just a little bit easier.

CM 
Masters Student

04-28-23 11:10 AM - Post#355950    
    In response to flinder

I'd be curious if the Ivy assistants' familiarity with Dartmouth would make the job more or less appealing.

rbg 
Postdoc

04-28-23 11:51 AM - Post#355958    
    In response to CM

Tyler Cordell has been with Megan Griffith the whole time at Columbia. When they both started, the team was really in bad shape, there was minimal fan support and limited institutional support.

She would be an appealing candidate, since she has helped build an Ivy program and also spend several years as the Princeton DBO. That pathway certainly worked well for Griffith and Moore.

Batista is another great candidate, plating and learning under Berube for a number of years.

Killion could be a good candidate, but Penn's fall from the top of the league standings over the last few years would make me lean towards the other two.

JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
04-28-23 04:20 PM - Post#355988    
    In response to rbg

I think Dartmouth and likely all the non HPY schools are in a hard spot for recruiting and replacing coaches – they are the five most expensive schools to play D1 basketball.

Dartmouth has a great historical legacy, but can they compete with HPY on financial aid and institutional support? Columbia is doing very well past two years, so their brand is very attractive. Penn has a top 100 program and the only Ivy team other than Princeton to go to the NCAAs in recent memory. So very hard to build a team to make Ivy madness when five of your competitors are all attractive – and the other two still may be ahead. But in basketball you only need 1 solid player and 1 good role player per recruiting class and your fortunes can quickly turn.

This reality makes it hard to attract a coach looking for a steppingstone job… what are the odds of beating out HP in the next four years to win a title? Or making Ivy Madness? So more likely a coach who would be comfortable with building up to be a NIT team (top 125 team) in next six years and understanding and accepting Ivy limitations and the challenges that brings to recruiting.

The wildcard is does the Ivy lawsuit get settled with the Ivies offering full scholarships. Then the job becomes very attractive to any assistant coach. As every Ivy will have a lot of quality student athletes wanting to attend … and likely multiple NCAA bids … and all eight teams could be top 150. But until the fantasy becomes reality …

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.252 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:42 PM