Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: The Young'uns        (Topic#253)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-14-04 01:42 PM - Post#1250    

As I've said before, I don't think I've ever been this pleasantly surprised about Brown's performance before the exam break.

I do find myself wondering where Miller will ultimately go with the starting lineup. I wouldn't expect him to know yet, either, given the things we seem to learn about the younger players as each game goes on.

When a 6'8 player like MacDonald breaks out and has a game like he did at UNH, it's hard to imagine that he won't be in the starting lineup, at least in the near term. Just knowing that he's capable of that makes you think he's too dangerous to not have out there when the game starts. True, he's not a banger - and I do wish he were more capable offensively in the post - but he's blocked a few shots down there, and if he can shoot like that, I'll have no complaints.

Then there's PJ, who by all accounts had his best game in a Brown uniform vs UNH. Scoring double figures and grabbing a bunch of boards is exactly what he need from him. I personally would like to see him remain in the lineup. And guess what, despite the fact that he can't really handle the ball comfortably, he's actually not a bad passer either.

Unless Sam really starts showing something, I think he's worked himself out of the lineup. I will say, however, that whenver he's in the game, he does manage to get to the basket and does have crisp, powerful post moves. But he's really suffering because of his lack of height, and he hasn't yet learned to compensate for it at the college level.

Then there's the little guards - Huffman, Becker and McAndrew. These guys have all played very well in spots, and while Huffman appears to be the best all around player, you can't argue with McAndrew's outstanding (and at times, clutch) three point shooting and rebounding. Becker's energy, exciting tip in, and pressure defense has been strong as well. Hard to know where he'll go here, but I personally think that the more we have Huffman on the court, the better we'll be.

Daniels, who I love, seems to be the victim to too little time to go around - clearly the right problem to have.

Then there's the big guards - Jeppesen and Coulibaly. These guys are both terrific athletes, but neither one has yet to receive consistent minutes. They can both shoot, they can both drive to the basket. To me, Coulibaly has shown a good deal more comfort on the offensive end thus far, and I think he probably deserves the nod.

Clearly the verdict isn't in on any of these players yet, but as I said earlier, these are clearly the right problems to be having.

Thoughts?
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Anonymous 

Re: The Young'uns
12-14-04 07:15 PM - Post#1251    
    In response to Bruno

I think that Huffman and McAndrew, and to a lesser extent MacDonald, are further along than the other frosh, in development and experience a this level of competition. Coulibaly, Jeppesen and Danials are still learing the system and trying to build a little confidence. I wouldn't totally ignore Eric Nordrum, by the way. He may have the furthest to go physically, but there is size and talent there. Footnote: it's interesting to note that Cameron Chones' brothers seem to have dissapeared from the Colgate roster, supposedly they were more talented that Cameron, I don't know what to make of that.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Chones Brothers
12-15-04 01:08 AM - Post#1252    
    In response to

According to the Syracuse Post Standard, the Chones brothers have left Colgate for a semester. Very interesting timing, and unlikely that it's coincidental with Kameron's departure from the Brown team. Sounds like there's something else going on there - hope that everything's ok with them.

http://www.syracuse.com/localcolleges/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1099301797256260.xml
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

BrownAlum 
Freshman

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Chones Brothers
12-15-04 06:47 PM - Post#1253    
    In response to Bruno

Not really much to add to Bruno's excellent rundown of the freshmen. I would say that I wouldn't get too caught up with who is starting, I'm much more concerned with who is playing the bulk of the minutes and, more importantly, who is playing in crunch time. So far it seems like Miller is very comfortable playing MacDonald, McAndrew and Huffman at important moments, sometimes all of them at the same time, with Forte and Ruscoe.

I think Coulibaly and Jeppesen are both the victims of not enough minutes to go around and also Miller's low tolerance for mistakes. I like them both a lot but they need time to play and grow. Even though those two are bigger than McAndrew, Huffman and Becker, Miller is comfortable going with 3 smaller guards, and Ruscoe, on the permimeter so he doesn't feel the need to play one of them if they aren't performing like he wants them to. What I'm trying to say is a lineup of Forte, Huffman, Ruscoe and McAndrew is going to be seen a lot even though it doesn't have a lot of size. Miller's comfort in doing this means Coulibaly and Jeppesen might not get as much time as they need right now.

Regarding Becker, I was a little down on him early but I thought he played well in the UNH game. The fact that McAndrew and Huffman are playing could actually help him. I think we all thought that since Becker isn't a great shooter his spot might be taken by one of those. But since Miller has been willing to go smaller and play those two together it gives Brown enough shooters on the floor that Becker can play with them rather than give up his spot to a shooter. (Did that make sense?) I also think Becker has done a good job brining the ball up the floor when Forte is in the game which allows Forte to play off the ball a bit, which has been good for the offense.

Any word on what is going on with Manhanga? After missing a game due to injury he played one game after that but I didn't see him on the bench for UNH.

Anonymous 

Re: Chones Brothers
12-15-04 08:06 PM - Post#1254    
    In response to BrownAlum

I believe Sam was on the bench, he doesn't seem to have done much to earn playing time and with Eads return it may get even tougher. It's interesting the Miller has been able to play three guards without giving up defense and rebounding. I think that's a testimony to the way McAndrew and Becker (and Huffman) have played, even producing offensive rebounds. I'm somewhat concerned about Holy Cross' frontline and their style of play(not fun, run and gun). I don't know much about the rest of the nonleague schedule except PC. They have not been very impressive (the Penn game excepted) but I don't think we (or any one in the Ivys) have an answer for Gomes.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.186 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:28 AM