Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Don't you guys have jobs?        (Topic#2535)
Captain Bildad 
Sophomore

Reg: 06-03-05
02-22-06 02:01 PM - Post#16111    

As a future Quaker father, I am amazed that whenever I log on, there are many more Penn forum viewers and writers than in any other Ivy forum. And it doesn't matter if It is 9 in the morning where I am (and 3 in the morning there) -- you guys are always on. I can't figure out if a Penn degree means unemployment and too much time on your hands, or you really are the most loyal and committed fans. Or if you simply should be committed.

But then I notice that the crowds for the Penn games double or triple the crowds for other Ivy colleges. Makes me proud to become a part of this crazy family.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Don't you guys have jobs?
02-22-06 02:32 PM - Post#16112    
    In response to Captain Bildad

We work. It's just that to work at an optimal level, breaks for fun are required every hour or so. It really clears the head to participate in this forum. And then we can go back to work.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-22-06 02:37 PM - Post#16113    

You should have asked your question of the Princeton fans, not us. They would happily explain to you that Penn grads are vastly inferior, intellectually and academically, to Princeton grads. This makes us virtually unemployable. As such, we sit around trading food stamps, drinking malt liquor, scratching our armpits and reminiscing about the days of George Noon. So, welcome to our little social club!

Chuck 
Masters Student
Chuck
02-22-06 03:33 PM - Post#16114    

Of course, could be that a Penn degree is such a ticket to success that the average Penn grad is retired by age 35 and living off their millions. Of course, maybe not...

The D 
goober

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 10-27-05
02-22-06 03:38 PM - Post#16115    
    In response to Chuck

Plus keep in mind how many students post here. It's certainly not uncommon to have a break in classes in the middle of the day.

Anonymous 

02-22-06 04:42 PM - Post#16116    
    In response to The D

..plus what's there to chat about unless your team is tourney bound? Guaranteed that if Columbia and Penn switched records right now, traffic volume on this board would dwindle to slow drip. The '14 game tournament' is effectively over for half of the league, unless people relish the spoiler's role.

Anonymous 

02-22-06 06:10 PM - Post#16117    
    In response to

Not really true----this Board was as active as ever when Penn was going down the tubes 2 years ago and its predecessor was blazing with retribution in 2001. What it comes down to is that a lot of us absolutely live for Penn basketball season. We may enjoy our baseball (look for the off-topic board to get active once college basketball is over) but we live for this stuff. Even a losing season or two is part of the overall cycle. The Penn board is always active.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-22-06 06:38 PM - Post#16118    
    In response to

Chi_Quaker--are you a Cubs fan like yours truly (or even a Sox fan)? Then surely you can understand why it doesn't take a winning year to be devoted to and interested in your team.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-22-06 07:09 PM - Post#16119    
    In response to penn nation

We live for this stuff?? Wow. That's strong. I'm not sure I live for it. I get a huge kick out of it. I center a major portion of my life around it. But I don't think I actually live for it. Who here falls into the live for it category.

Anonymous 

02-22-06 09:56 PM - Post#16120    
    In response to penn nation

Agreed. Definitely a Cubs fan...live 4 blocks from Wrigley and own a pair of season tickets. I think being a Penn fan (since '87, freshman year) prepared me well for Cubs nation membership. I've also recently taken to Carmody's Northwestern team. You might say I'm a sports-masochist of sorts. In any case, it's always more fun routing for the underdog, as I'm sure fellow 'boarders will agree here.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
02-23-06 12:06 AM - Post#16121    
    In response to

Thanks to the wonderful world of the internet access at work, there is always time for at least a little Penn Basketball fandom on the job. Haha!

-Mike

devil 

Reg: 11-23-04
02-23-06 04:41 AM - Post#16122    
    In response to Mike Porter

You also have to account for people who log in, and leave their pc on.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.927 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:44 PM