Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: USA vs Nigeria        (Topic#25365)
Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
07-11-21 07:35 AM - Post#325267    

Liiliard, Tatum, Durant…

My Lord..,Doc and Jay Wright must be horrible coaches

HA!

HA!

HA!

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
07-11-21 10:33 AM - Post#325268    
    In response to Old Bison

Context:
https://apnews.com/article/2020-tokyo-ol ympics-spo...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
07-11-21 12:37 PM - Post#325269    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Gregg Popovich is the head coach, so I guess he deserves most of the "blame". But I doubt he cares too much since it was a meaningless exhibition. Doc Rivers is not on the staff at all.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
USA vs Nigeria
07-11-21 05:32 PM - Post#325270    
    In response to Bison137

Popovich took one for team and country. A few days before the game, coach Popovich received an e-mail saying a Nigerian national who was actually a relative of the ruling family needed safe passage to America. All the U.S. coach had to do was send 10,000 dollars in unsecured funds to an account and allow the Nigerian team to score at least 90 points for the safe passage to New York for the Nigerian player/prince. In return he would receive 1,000,000 dollars and get to have LeMelo Ball play for him. Popovich kept his end of the bargain but has no idea where the money and player went.

Edited by Paulie777 on 07-11-21 05:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
Re: USA vs Nigeria
07-11-21 08:57 PM - Post#325271    
    In response to Paulie777

LOL

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
Re: USA vs Nigeria
07-12-21 09:33 AM - Post#325273    
    In response to Paulie777

• Paulie777 Said:
Popovich took one for team and country. A few days before the game, coach Popovich received an e-mail saying a Nigerian national who was actually a relative of the ruling family needed safe passage to America. All the U.S. coach had to do was send 10,000 dollars in unsecured funds to an account and allow the Nigerian team to score at least 90 points for the safe passage to New York for the Nigerian player/prince. In return he would receive 1,000,000 dollars and get to have LeMelo Ball play for him. Popovich kept his end of the bargain but has no idea where the money and player went.

Paulie, that is hilarious! We have all received those letters/emails in the past.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
08-07-21 03:27 PM - Post#325838    
    In response to Bison89

Just to update, the U.S. won the gold medal yesterday. I wonder if the players are unhappy because they lost a meaningless exhibition game to Nigeria. Apparently Jay Wright and Pop aren't so bad after all, since they won all of the important games.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

08-21-21 08:51 AM - Post#326232    
    In response to Bison137

EXACTLY!! It was tongue and cheek to address the level of maturity here. Of course Pop and Jay are good coaches…but they lost to Nigeria…did that all of a sudden make them bad coaches???? Then they lost to Australia…did that make them wven worse coaches?

After they lost to France in the opener, everybody and I mean everybody was out pontificating about why they didn’t have Trey Young and how come we didn’t have a 5 and Draymond Green was a shadow of himself. Same old crap.,,you lose and everybody’s a coach and a basketball expert…it’s feckin ridiculous…people need to GROW UP!

On a separate note (and this isn’t an argumentative separate note), Pop stayed 1-5 switch and refused to double down even when Gobert was eating them! I don’t like it either but Jay’s been playing that way for years and the Bucks won the NBA and they never gave it a second thought. Game is different today. I don’t know why you can’t switch 1-4 and let the 1 fight through a 5 screen but I’m not a coach. They don’t teach what
they use to teach.

Clearly being a fan in the age of social media means having a carte blanche immaturity pass protected by the umbrella of “free speech” and this being an “opinion board”. I’m not interested in opinions, I’m interested in supporters of the program.

Who coached the Lakers this year (I actually don’t know)….HE’S GOTTA BE A BAD COACH! The ha, ha,,ha is I don’t think so.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

08-21-21 09:10 AM - Post#326233    
    In response to Old Bison

Furthermore, imagine the nonsense here if/when we lose to St. Francis this year!!!

I remember losing to St Francis circa ‘07 or ‘08 when Pat coached and nobody had the audacity and lack of class to run around saying FIRE PAT FLANNERY! Further to that I remember seeing Buck lose to Marist at Sojka around the same time (Castleberry/Linthicum/Be han period if I remember correctly) in one of the worst performances I can remember and the response wasn’t to fire Pat. I also remember staying up late into the night with Pat and talking about how do we get better. That’s why BUCK has an AD. I don’t think Bravman told the new guy to check with Husky Colonial to figure things out…HA!

Remember Donahue at Cornell (great coach!), at BC (horrible coach!), at Penn (good coach!)

Old Bison 
Masters Student

08-21-21 09:13 AM - Post#326234    
    In response to Old Bison

Furthermore, imagine the nonsense here if/when we lose to St. Francis this year!!!

I remember losing to St Francis circa ‘07 or ‘08 when Pat coached and nobody had the audacity and lack of class to run around saying FIRE PAT FLANNERY! Further to that I remember seeing Buck lose to Marist at Sojka around the same time (Castleberry/Linthicum/Be han period if I remember correctly) in one of the worst performances I can remember and the response wasn’t to fire Pat. I also remember staying up late into the night with Pat and talking about how do we get better. That’s why BUCK has an AD. I don’t think Bravman told the new guy to check with Husky Colonial to figure things out…HA!

Remember Donahue at Cornell (great coach!), at BC (horrible coach!), at Penn (good coach!)

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
08-21-21 12:19 PM - Post#326236    
    In response to Old Bison

Hey Old Bison! I saw your cheap shop buried within another one of your nonsensical posts.

Still making fun kids of young people with depression and suicidal thoughts? You're such a class act!

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
08-21-21 01:53 PM - Post#326237    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
. I don’t think Bravman told the new guy to check with Husky Colonial to figure things out…

I've been waiting on John Bravman to call me and ask me over to dinner so we can strategize for years now but the phone has been silent. I think he's commiserating with Bison89, methinks. He does keep in touch with e-mails though, he seems to be fond of telling me who has given large amounts of money to the university. Pascucci has pledged 40 mil, this should get some decent Bucknellians on board maybe a basketball player or two.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
08-21-21 03:33 PM - Post#326239    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:

Not sure many would call Donahue's performance at Cornell "great". Collectively his Cornell teams were 136-138 during his tenure against D1 opponents. He had one great season, where two of his three stars (Jeff Foote, Ryan Wittman) had recruited themselves to Cornell. Other than that, he was the definition of mediocre. And it was very obvious - and many said so at the time - that he was a disastrous hire for BC.

As for him being good at Penn, he had one great season (2018) and four mediocre ones. Other than 2018, his overall Ivy record at Penn is 26-30. A bit short of "good". But not terrible. It's way too early to judge how Penn will do this year, but on paper they look far short of a powerhouse.

As for Bison coaches, PF justifiably got the benefit of the doubt because of his track record. He did very well when no-one had scholarships, although Navy (DeVoe) at that point had an advantage. And he more than held his own when the playing field got unlevel. And of course he did very well once the playing field was leveled. So far ND did well when he had one of the most talented teams in PL history (all DP/DF/AK recruits). Then when he still had a lot of talent, he was badly outcoached by Langel. And since then, there have been two poor seasons - amidst transfers, disciplinary problems, and academic issues. There have been many criticisms made of his coaching - and to your credit, you have been one of those ND critics. Hopefully this year he will do better.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
08-21-21 09:31 PM - Post#326242    
    In response to Paulie777

• Paulie777 Said:
  • Old Bison Said:
. I don’t think Bravman told the new guy to check with Husky Colonial to figure things out…

I've been waiting on John Bravman to call me and ask me over to dinner so we can strategize for years now but the phone has been silent. I think he's commiserating with Bison89, methinks. He does keep in touch with e-mails though, he seems to be fond of telling me who has given large amounts of money to the university. Pascucci has pledged 40 mil, this should get some decent Bucknellians on board maybe a basketball player or two.

Paulie, I'm still here. No commiserating going on. You are invited for dinner in NJ anytime. Sushi or steaks?
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.225 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:01 PM