Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: A few questions answered?        (Topic#25381)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
07-25-21 05:40 PM - Post#325493    

Brown University & the Ivy League permit Name, Image & Likeness Opportunities

Brown
Athletics

As of July 1, 2021 a new era in intercollegiate athletics has begun. The NCAA has enacted an interim policy that allows NCAA college athletes to have the opportunity to benefit from their name, image and likeness. All three divisions have adopted a uniform, interim policy suspending NCAA name, image and likeness rules for all incoming and current student-athletes in all sports.

With the NCAA’s adoption of a new policy allowing student-athletes to use their name, image and likeness (NIL) in a commercial manner, the Ivy League has adjusted existing rules to permit student-athletes to engage in NIL activity.

I am delighted that Brown University student-athletes will be able to benefit from their names, images and likenesses based on this policy. Seeing first-hand the NCAA membership's commitment to student-athlete well-being having just completed my service as chair of the Division I Council, I am very encouraged that the NCAA interim policy on NIL will serve student-athletes at Brown and nationally until a permanent solution is identified.

As Ivy League Executive Director Robin Harris noted, “One of the fundamental philosophies of the Ivy League is that student-athletes should have the same opportunities as all students, including the option to engage in projects that use their name, image and likeness.”

Under the new policy, current Brown student-athletes are permitted to enter into NIL agreements with boosters (as defined by the NCAA), provided the following conditions are met:

● The booster has no authority over intercollegiate athletics
● Compensation is tied only to NIL activities
● Compensation is not provided in exchange for athletic participation or achievement
● Compensation is not provided as an inducement for or contingent upon enrollment at Brown University
● The compensation rate is commensurate with the fair market value of the goods, services, or money exchanged
● To the best of their ability, the student-athlete discloses to the Brown Athletics Compliance Office that the agreement involves a Brown University Booster

Prospective student-athletes are not permitted to enter into NIL agreements with Brown University boosters.

In an effort to support the student-athlete experience and promote education around NIL opportunities, Brown will maintain a page with a number of important links and resources that will guide student-athletes, coaches, and friends of Brown Athletics on NIL activities.

As the NIL landscape continues to evolve, we are committed to providing support for our student-athletes at the highest level. We know that many questions remain in this new landscape, but we firmly believe that Brown University and the Ivy League are positioned to take full advantage of these opportunities.

I thank you for your continued support of Brown Athletics, and we look forward to working with you all in the year ahead and beyond to create a world-class experience for our student-athletes.

Go Bruno,

M. Grace Calhoun '92, PhD
Vice President for Athletics and Recreation

Please Note: For additional questions regarding NIL compliance, please email compliance@brown.edu

Brown University

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: A few questions answered?
07-25-21 06:43 PM - Post#325496    
    In response to Old Bear

Pure hypocrisy. All of those things she listed as contingencies for accepting money from boosters will be mere lip service. But I'm not limiting this to Brown---anyone who accepts money from a booster will be doing it because the booster is doing it for the team.

Condor 
PhD Student

07-26-21 09:51 AM - Post#325503    
    In response to palestra38

So, is Emoni Bates’ image destine to be on a Space X rocket?

palestra38 
Professor

07-26-21 10:10 AM - Post#325504    
    In response to Condor

Trump Tower renamed the "Jordan Dingle Tower"

Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
07-26-21 10:58 AM - Post#325506    

I'd be quite surprised if any Ivy student participating in a NIL agreement would be allowed to use any team uniform, logo or mention of the institution in whatever relationship they create with a sponsor.

On the other hand, imagine if this NIL was in place when Katie Ledecky enrolled at Stanford four years ago. She would not have had to turn pro after 2 years to leverage her awesome potential for sponsor support before she became "old news", something that potentially started last night.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
07-26-21 02:51 PM - Post#325510    
    In response to Naismith

Personally, I have absolutely no idea what this will lead to. It seems possible that, at the mid-major level, the practical effect will be minimal, but you never know.

palestra38 
Professor

07-26-21 02:57 PM - Post#325511    
    In response to Silver Maple

It allows "wink wink" deals to get people to attend. I find it impossible that it will not have a major effect among the mid-majors. It will be almost impossible to prove that the money from boosters is being paid to get someone to attend a particular school.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
07-26-21 03:22 PM - Post#325512    

I certainly share your skepticism regarding the enforceability of most of those booster rules. The league may be headed for a golden age of recruiting scandals. That should be fun.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
When is the first cheesesteak deal?
07-30-21 09:47 AM - Post#325660    
    In response to Silver Maple

https://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-the-ho t-endorse...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.976 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:09 PM