Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Salve Regina        (Topic#25571)
Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
11-09-21 08:19 PM - Post#327890    

Starters: Friday, Wojcik, Mitchell, Choh, Gainey

Mike going to the bench early and getting some good minutes from them - Kino Lilly looks good, Kimo Ferrari playing some tenacious d, all with the qualifier that this is against a D3 team that didn't play last year.

Ever True 
Junior

11-09-21 09:00 PM - Post#327894    
    In response to Ever True

48-26 at the half - nice to be up 22 when you've gotten a total of two points from Choh/Gainey frontcourt.

Pros: Kino Lilly has been great distributing the ball, with 4 assists in 9 minutes, Wojcik is 4 of 6 from behind the arc, Mitchell has been his usual self and gotten a couple of old fashioned 3 point plays.

Cons: Gainey doesn't look like he's in game shape quite yet, which is understandable given the fact he missed a decent part of the pre-season, according the announcers, and Choh needs to impose himself a little bit more. Also could use a little more focus on the defensive end.

All in all, great to have Brown basketball back!

Ever True 
Junior

11-09-21 10:40 PM - Post#327917    
    In response to Ever True

89-59 final - got to see everybody on the roster in the closing minutes. Of the late entries, I thought that Erold had a lot of bounce, Tyler Brown had a nice left-hand finish at the basket, and Ndur had a loud dunk.

3-point shooting cooled off in the second half, to the tune of 2-17. 35 treys in the entire game is more than any single game total from 2019-2020 - I'd chalk some of that up to itchy trigger fingers after 600+ days off the court.

Otherwise, team did Mike Martin things - hit the offensive boards hard, and as a result got points in the paint and turned the opposition over to get easy baskets.

Still plenty of things to tighten up before the marquee matchup on Friday, but, again, great to see the guys back on the court.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
11-10-21 09:41 AM - Post#327937    
    In response to Ever True

Agree. Gainey and Choh showed a lotta rust, not in game shape yet, but managed effectiveness despite that.

Just about all the frosh impressed me. Nana and Lilly looked really good. But Ferrari and Cooley too. And Klores! But they all got some run and I liked seeing all of it.

Interior defense was a problem. Blocked almost no shots. The 6’5 kid (Spencer?) from Salve ate them up at times. And they gave up a fair amount of open jumpers. Tough spot heading to UNC with guys still rounding into their cadence.

Flying down Friday to watch my first in person game in a long while. Rough timing to face that team now but so exciting to play that game.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
Salve Regina
11-10-21 07:25 PM - Post#327978    
    In response to Bruno

This group of Bears has the most talent since the 1971-1972 freshman team of Phil Brown, Eddie Morris, and friends. That group went 19-2 and won most games by 20 to 30 points. When Brown played PC with Marvin Barnes and Ernie D that year at Marvel Gym, TV10 also televised the second half of the freshman game because the young Bears played such an exciting, talented, and fun brand of basketball. It also had a strong second unit that included a great athlete, Bill Almond of Warwick, RI, who was the 1st overall pick of the San Diego Padres in 1974. They had varsity records of 14-12, 17-9, and 14-12. Although they didn’t capture an Ivy title, their success was great for a program that usually won 6 to 10 games a year (everyone played 26 regular season games back then) and hand never had a winning season in some time. Unfortunately Coach Alaimo was not able to continue the flow of such talent and the program drifted back to mediocrity soon after.

Martin’s group this year has a great chance to bring similar excitement to the Pitz. They have ball handlers, a number of shooters, and decent size. I hear Choh has been dinged up and almost did not play last night. Gainey has also been held back a bit so far and was certainly not in his usual shot-blocking form. Wojcik is the real deal as a shooter and overall player. Nana has poise and talent. He moves into the lane under control with one or two strides, then leaps and releases with a real soft touch. The Bears have good size all over the court as many of the guards are 6-4 or 6-5. Martin can also go small and sick Lily and Ferrari on the opponents ball handlers and ratchet up the defensive pressure. With essentially two freshman classes and a PG player, Martin has a unique group of very talented players. I’m anxious to see how he is able to mesh them together.

Edited by JBears on 11-10-21 07:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Re: Salve Regina
11-10-21 08:06 PM - Post#327979    
    In response to JBears

I understand Choh, Gainey and Friday were all out for much of the preseason with different injuries. So it will take them longer to get into rhythm. They’ll all be important for purposes of giving UNC a game Friday.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
11-10-21 09:42 PM - Post#328005    
    In response to Bruno

Safe travels to Tarheel Country, Bruno! Bring back a win, or at least a respectable losing effort. They only beat Loyola of MD by 16 last night. I’ll take an effort like that along with the great experience gained by the Bears.

Also, last name of the Brown alum mentioned prior who was drafted by the Padres is Almon.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Salve Regina
11-10-21 11:46 PM - Post#328073    
    In response to JBears

I played for Billy Almon for half a season when he returned to coach Brown baseball in the early/mid 90s. He would take grounders at short to show our SS how to move. And the guy was 4-5 years out of Major League Baseball and was still the smoothest thing I’d ever seen on a field I was actually on. Lovely guy too.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.015 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:37 PM