Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: MBB vs. South Carolina 11/12        (Topic#25582)
welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
11-13-21 12:21 AM - Post#328305    
    In response to gokinsmen

Huge 4 point play for Jaelin! Tigers lead by 9 with 2 to play

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

11-13-21 12:22 AM - Post#328306    
    In response to welcometothejungle

I would not hate hacking Leveque (with anyone besides Tosan) the rest of the way. Career 55% FT shooter

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

11-13-21 12:24 AM - Post#328307    

Tosan leaves one on the rim, South Carolina hits a 3 and it's 61-56 with 52 seconds to play.

Gotta take care of the ball and hit FTs here

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

11-13-21 12:32 AM - Post#328308    

Well they certainly made it stressful down the stretch, but the Tigers pull out a 66-62 win!!

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
MBB vs. South Carolina 11/12
11-13-21 12:36 AM - Post#328309    

WOOOOOO!!! What a start to the season!

South Carolina might be in rebuild mode, but beating a Power Conference team after, what, 20 months since their last D-I game? Very, very impressive.

Great team effort all-around and hearing Mitch shout out instructions to his youngsters all game is an education for everyone, ha. I'm really excited to see what Tosan does this season and I hope Langborg can be a high-volume sniper.

Also, Zack Martini started tonight (no Hooks). I suspect that 5th starting spot will be fluid during non-conf. Next up: Minnesota on Sunday! Let's make it 2-for-2 against major conference opponents.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
11-13-21 12:42 AM - Post#328310    

That they did. But they always seemed confident.

Would be really great if they can do the same versus a Big10 team.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: MBB vs. South Carolina 11/12
11-13-21 12:42 AM - Post#328311    
    In response to gokinsmen

Very good win especially being down early in the 1st half. Reality is that South Carolina was projected as the 11th ranked team in the SEC and they are not very good especially in light of their height, size and athleticism.

Tigers kept their poise even after the slow start but South Carolina certainly helped them out with sloppy play.

Boys against men but the Boys WON!

Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
Re: MBB vs. South Carolina 11/12
11-13-21 12:56 AM - Post#328312    
    In response to bradley

Great win for Princeton and the Ivy League, as were the performances tonight by Brown and Yale.

Wonder if South Carolina made some kind of Ripley's mention tonight. Team goes 1-23 on threes for the first 39 minutes; then one guy drills three in 52 seconds and almost steals the game.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-13-21 03:13 AM - Post#328315    
    In response to Naismith

Well, that was fun. Those first few minutes had me thinking uh-oh, but the Tigers adjusted very well to S.C.’s size and strength and then their superior shooting won the day . I thought Tosun would be a key piece this year, and he was even better then I expected. The Berg/Borg wing combo played very well, and Llewelyn looked like the leader we’ve been anticipating. Still some work to do on defense—the Gamecocks kind of bailed us out with some poor shooting and decision-making—but there were some stretches where the ball pressure, collapse into the paint, and defensive rebounding were well above average .As has been true for years, creating turnovers is the Tigers gain serious ground on quality opponents.

On to mauling the Gophers on Sunday!

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
11-13-21 07:24 AM - Post#328317    
    In response to SRP

Wow, looks like I missed a good one. I thought I could watch the replay today but it is not available on ESPN.

Questions:
1. Any thoughts as to why Martini is favored over Hooks? Perhaps outside range? I see he made a 3.
2. When Martini sat, and Hooks on the bench, who was the big? TosEv?
3. When Llewellyn sat, who was the ball handler?
4. I see Allocco played quite a bit? Any comments about his skill set?

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
11-13-21 07:53 AM - Post#328318    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

The game is on ESPN+ on-demand, I just watched it.

Tough win against a P5 team. Tigers controlled the game, played high-intensity D throughout, and did not lose their composure when SC fought back in the last few minutes.

Princeton did not play its best (18 TOs, gave up 19 ORs, 15/24 FTs) but competed hard after a lackluster first 10 minutes. Great ball movement (15 assists on 20 FGs) and several missed good looks but that bodes well. Jaelin made some great plays and had 9 boards but also has 6 TOs.

Alloco looked solid, very heady and confident and Martini held his own against SC’s much bigger and more physical front line. Llewellyn did not sit much (36 mins), I think Wright handled the ball in his absence but I’m not sure.

Kellman got a lot of quality minutes down low and had a few nice plays along with some clunkers.

The Tigers have 4 outstanding starters and don’t miss a beat when Langborg comes in. Tosun in particular creates a lot of pressure that opens up the floor for his teammates. If Martini, Hooks, Alloco, and Kellman step up Princeton could become a dangerous team.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
11-13-21 08:10 AM - Post#328319    
    In response to Tiger81

Thanks--I looked on the wrong part of ESPN.

And thanks for your comments.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-13-21 09:23 AM - Post#328321    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Hooks took 2 bad falls against Rutgers so perhaps, he was hurting therefore limited minutes. Without him, Tigers were undersized but the bigs held up well.

Jaelin made some 3s which is critical to the success of this team.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

11-13-21 10:35 AM - Post#328325    
    In response to bradley

To me it seemed the game plan was to spread the floor and force South Carolina’s bigs to defend in space. They don’t have the personnel to play small, so Martini’s outside shooting ability forced them to at least close out to him, and also opened the lane up for Tosan to drive from the free throw line. I suspect Hooks will still be a big part of the rotation. The big man rotation will be very interesting to watch play out. Martini, Hooks, Kellman, and Barnes are all getting looks at rotation minutes, with Tosan clearly being set as a go to guy in the 4 spot. MH played 10 guys last night (plus Johns who got a defensive possession before halftime), feel like usually by Ivy time that gets cut down to 8 core guys

I like Allocco’s defense a lot, seems like a very solid player. He didn’t really look for much offensively in his minutes but wasn’t really needing to with Langborg, Tosan and Jaelin on the court

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

11-13-21 11:10 AM - Post#328328    

Couple other notes from the stats last night:

15 assists on 20 made FGs! Tigers moved the ball really well offensively and there's some really good passers on this team. South Carolina's length forced some turnovers, but overall I thought the passing was impressive. Martini threw one overhead skip pass across the court to Llewellyn that particularly impressed me.

evanmiya.com also has some really good lineup related stats. Some things that stood out to me from last night's game that'll be interesting to watch with the caveat that it's been one game:

Kellman and Tosan played 7 offensive and 9 defensive possessions together last night, in which Princeton outscored South Carolina by 1.2 points per possession, the best performance of any of the Tosan + big man duos. As I mentioned above the big man rotation will be very interesting to watch. Kellman's bulked up a lot since the 19-20 season, and he had a massive dunk in the first half that you don't see from many Ivy League big men. He did seem to aggravate his ankle injury in the 2nd half, so hopefully he can stay healthy and continue to show his talent in the non-conference season.

The 3 man group of Jaelin/Ethan/Langborg had some success last night, scoring 1.5 points per possession but also allowing 1 PPP. I suspect the size on the wing of SCar had a little to do with that, but I'm curious to see how much those 3 play together. We only saw it for 3 possessions last night, but I could see Jaelin/Ethan/Langborg/Fri berg/Tosan being a small ball lineup in league play to close games, similar (in idea) to the Cannady/Bell/Cook/Weisz/S tephens type of group of the past.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
11-13-21 04:10 PM - Post#328350    

Looks like the Frank Martin era in Columbia is drawing to a close...

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
11-13-21 05:03 PM - Post#328363    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

SC looked pretty bad in the stretches I saw (terrible outside shooting, unforced turnovers) but Princeton still looked sharper than I expected. Especially glad to see how good Tosan looked. But the level of competition in the Ivy also seems higher than expected given the other weekend results.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-13-21 05:03 PM - Post#328364    

After watching replay and looking at the stats, a few observations. Langborg played 32 minutes and Wright only 16. Langborg has no hesitation to shoot 3s and especially long 3s" with a pure shooting stroke. Evb played great - reminds me a little of Maddux but a better ball handler but his FT shooting is rather brutal and he missed a chippie lay up with 1 minute to go which would have ended the game.

The defensive performance was shockingly excellent and they played with far more intensity on the defensive end than in prior years especially during the early part of the season. Perhaps, Mitch has been talking to Berube.

As to Minnesota, both teams will shoot a "million" 3 pointers. It would be helpful to have Kellman on the floor to sub but he was walking gingerly.

Core of this team is Jaelin and Evb with the other guys playing key roles. Tigers have 2 very good athletic players with basketball skills.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.204 seconds.   Total Queries: 18   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:13 PM