Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: George Mason        (Topic#25590)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-13-21 06:50 PM - Post#328370    
    In response to The Agenda

Well, there are excuses. 2 years off---entirely new lineup, tough 1st road site, horrible travel nightmare before the second game. So yes, things look horrible and could be horrible, but we're not quite there yet.

As I said before, we'll know much more after Bucknell.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-13-21 07:52 PM - Post#328375    
    In response to palestra38

Tomorrow, FSU is also playing against Florida (game time one hour before the Bucknell game), so we'll see how good FSU really is--or not.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
11-13-21 08:38 PM - Post#328381    
    In response to penn nation

Two games is enough to give us some major clues about the pre-ivy portion of this year.

1. The team has one certain holdover with Div-1 talent, Dingle. Charles and Martz may have that talent. Wang did pre-injuries. This is the cost of the lost year of playing and the several seasons of poor recruiting and injuries. Yale has 4 good returnees, HARVARD 4, and the Pussies 2. Penn had two guys with plenty of minutes, but only Dingle is a star. We hope that Martz will be a Grandieri and Charles keep hitting his three. No proof yet.

2. We have no holdover team skills on either end of the court. This is the cost of the lost year of playing and the loss of the two most important players in the old scheme based around the best big in program history and a very quick point guard. The team needs a completely different scheme to succeed with the talent it has. That don’t show up on day one.

3. The team has no newcomers ready for instant contributions. This is the cost of no 3-star recruits. Yale has one, Harvard has five, Princeton none. Except for Haaaarvard, that is no significant difference. Remember that, except for the AJ year, Steve has not recruited well. Jones and Henderson are doing something Steve is apparently not.

4. The team has depth in young wing players 6’4” to 6’7”. They are 2-star players with some potential, the kind that Franny feasted on. It will take time to develop them, to identify the gems, if any; at least the first half of the season, probably more.

5. The team needs a new team concept lacking the extraordinary big and quick point guard that dominated the scheme for the four previous years. It will take time to rejigger the schemes to fit the existing talent and to cover up the lack of the point guard and bigs.

6. It was obvious that our optimism of just last week, (me too) was naive in the extreme. 2-star players with no game experience do not open with success against good teams. It looks pretty likely that little development will mature before the Ivies. 4-10 would be a major success. 2-12 is more likely.

7. This talent collection reminds us of the Jerome years: lots of tantalizing tweeners. Under Jerome they seldom developed. Clearly Steve is better at development. But by just a little. Consider this based on Pomeroy. Jerome average ranking 237, Steve 177. Jerome peak year 139, Steve 125. Jerome without Silpe 263, Steve without AJ 248 (so far). The meaningful difference between the two was the blue snow recruit, AJ. Steve also benefited strongly from Foreman and Woods, Jerome recruits. Now in comparison, Franny’s last six years (includes the one holdover with Miller): Average ranking 74, Peak 48. Yes the Ivies are better, but those rankings were against all commers. Conclusion. Jerome was awful, Franny was brilliant, Steve is mediocre even with the extraordinary big.

8. As I said in the spring. This is the year we learn from sure about Steve. Does the interesting collection of 2-star recruits include a Danley, an Ibby, a Zoller, a Grandieri? Can he mold the talent into a workable ensemble like Franny or John Chaney always did, or Jay Wright always does? (Best coach in Big Five History.)

9. If it don’t happen this year, with this group and the weak 2022 recruiting class, Penn will not have success for three to five more years until a new, better coach reestablishes real excellence after this twenty-year dead zone. Sure it bottomed with Jerome. But Steve has added only one lonely Ivy and Big Five Championship to the twenty bleak years. This year the program plays to big stakes. I can’t believe I am writing the same thing only seven years after that last awful year with Jerome, and after the miracle of the 2018 turnaround. Things looked so good at the beginning of 2019.

Remember the ‘BB’ days (Before Biksky) days when Penn won both fuball and bball most years. Of course, in my junior year, Penn finished last in both sports too. But Harter and the Digger were running B-ball and recruiting their butts off. The frosh beat the varsity in both 1968 and 1969. Now it is Amaker recruiting his butt off and Jones coaching his butt off. Don’t get me wrong. I really root for the thoroughly decent man running the program. I hope this is just a short hiatus before the next superstar emerges to start an extended run of excellence. It is just there is no evidence of that happy day yet.

Oh, one more thing. How is it that Mike McGlaughlin excels year after year despite the built-in advantages of H, Y, and P? Put differently, what are Harvard and Yale’s records before Jones and Amaker. The HYP advantages are nothing new. Okay, they didn’t care about hoops. They did care passionately about football. The three dominated Penn football before Bernt showed up. Then the poor backup school one 16 championships in 33 years. Coaching counts, just ask Alabama and Clemson fans.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-13-21 09:50 PM - Post#328383    

The early ringer can cut both ways. You can learn to lose, so that is the worst case. But it also could be that our next couple of opponents are going to seem smaller and slower than they otherwise would because of what we’ve had to contend with the first two games.

We made some clear and effective adjustments from game one to game two. Hopefully that will continue. I’d actually like to see Wang starting over Monroe, mainly because I liked the way the starting 5 played in the first half against FSU.

I’m happy to have basketball back, and glad I got to see the Mason game live. I think we’ll figure it out.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-13-21 10:51 PM - Post#328385    
    In response to SomeGuy

Yeah, I hear you UPIA1968, but honestly all I wanted this season was to have fun and no stress about basketball. Williams is playing. Everyone is living their lives. Players like Dingle have sacrificed to stay with the program. Players like Wang and Washington (in addition to Williams) are finally healthy.

I'm just going to enjoy, whether the team is good or not.

palestra38 
Professor

11-14-21 11:24 AM - Post#328393    
    In response to Penndemonium

It's just so far too early to give the "Get off my Lawn" old man talk radio gripe of UPIA that it's not worth even discussing at this point. It's really not surprising that the team has not gelled in time to play 2 very tough teams in money games on the road. The real argument is why a school as rich as the University of Pennsylvania has to take money games to start out a season for its basketball team or charge its season ticket holders a 14 game price for an 11 game season. But this team has a lot of talent and I am confident it will gel in time for the Ivy season.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
11-14-21 11:50 AM - Post#328395    

I'm fine with the optimism about our talent 'gelling' before 2022, but the strength of these other Ivy teams in the early going troubles me, competitively speaking. They will improve as well.

I am happy the league is showing up strong so far though.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
11-14-21 11:24 PM - Post#328571    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
I'm fine with the optimism about our talent 'gelling' before 2022, but the strength of these other Ivy teams in the early going troubles me, competitively speaking. They will improve as well.

I am happy the league is showing up strong so far though.

Not so much today with Yale getting torched by Seton Hall and Princeton losing in 2 OTs to the team projected to occupy the Big Ten cellar.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-17-21 02:11 AM - Post#328689    
    In response to UPIA1968

Well, we’ve reached your predicted win total for the OOC season. I guess any wins from here on out are just gravy.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
11-17-21 10:21 AM - Post#328707    
    In response to SomeGuy

Beating two 300 ranked schools proves this is a good team? Pomeroy has Penn losing the every game until playing Brown in January.

I hope that I am wrong and so is Pomeroy. We will know more after playing Utah State.

palestra38 
Professor

11-17-21 10:31 AM - Post#328708    
    In response to UPIA1968

You do realize that you only move up by beating teams ahead of you. Using Pomeroy like you do isn't exactly scientific.

But if you would like to bet with me that Penn will be winless until they play Brown, please name your stakes.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-17-21 10:54 AM - Post#328714    

Pomeroy is pretty useless for typical Ivy mid majors in mid November.

We are not 30 points better than Lafayette. The game had a similar feel of a run of the mill Ivy game. Lafayette can shoot the ball a lot better than they did and we will also grow as we get more minutes under our feet. It’s still very early.

There is a lot to be encouraged about though.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
11-17-21 11:31 AM - Post#328719    
    In response to AsiaSunset

A better way to think about it is that the KP error bars are wider this time of the season than later. There are fewer data points so precision is lacking.

That's different from saying the results from the first four games are meaningless. Of course they have meaning.

penn nation 
Professor

George Mason
11-17-21 12:02 PM - Post#328733    
    In response to TheLine

There are other data points, but they are based on using last season's stats as an approximation (or even earlier, as with Penn).

Those eventually fade away with the accumulation of more data points from the current season.

Edited by penn nation on 11-17-21 12:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
11-17-21 12:09 PM - Post#328734    

The Pomeroy projections also don’t include any Myrtle Beach games beyond USU, because they have no idea who we’d be playing on Friday or Sunday.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-17-21 05:00 PM - Post#328764    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I can't imagine previous season data is factored into this season's projections for ivies. That would just be dumb.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
11-17-21 08:56 PM - Post#328795    
    In response to Silver Maple

George Mason leading 33-32 at #20 ranked Maryland at halftime

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
11-17-21 10:01 PM - Post#328817    
    In response to welcometothejungle

George Mason wins at Maryland

penn nation 
Professor

11-17-21 10:02 PM - Post#328818    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Well, that's one loss which won't seem so bad now.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
George Mason
11-18-21 12:42 AM - Post#328841    

• penn nation Said:
Well, that's one loss which won't seem so bad now.

Early to mid-November college basketball man.

And remaining COVID protocols and the wide-opening of the.transfer portal is only making it more random.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 11-18-21 12:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.226 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:03 PM