Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Username Post: Bucknell        (Topic#25599)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-15-21 09:25 PM - Post#328598    
    In response to penn nation

I only remember Martz well in my mind from some of his early freshman games. At the time, he looked like a promising role player - He seemed to have a decent mix of size, strength, shooting and game IQ. That said, he didn't look like he was on an all-ivy path unless his improvement curve was well above average. He was skilled, but he didn't seem to have great lower body strength. He was a hustler in effort, but not the kind of hustler that would be most likely to win the key 50/50 loose ball or the the shutdown defensive play.

At the end of the day, I think we need to have 2-3 players who are at all-ivy levels to really compete for the championship. Right now the only player that seems to be there is Dingle. Charles or Williams are possible, but seem to not to be ready this year. Wang, MLL, Slajchert, Spinoso, Mosh and others just aren't consistently all-ivy level on both sides of the ball at this point. They'll each have some good games.

My main hope for us to win the league is then resting on Donahue's coaching/strategy or else another player taking a big step forward. I always give a Donahue team a chance in the Ivy tournament (if we can make it there), and I just don't see who our other all-ivy player will be. I didn't see it with Foreman a few years ago. I thought he was a liability until the last half of the season. Suddenly, he found the mental strength to impose himself on the league and will the team to wins.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
11-15-21 09:56 PM - Post#328601    
    In response to Mike Porter

• Mike Porter Said:
Zoller is a tough comparison to live up to on the boards

Would a taller Grandieri with a better shot be a better comp?

I’m really encouraged with what I see from Spinoso. Some rookie mistakes but he has game especially as a passer with vision.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-15-21 10:25 PM - Post#328602    
    In response to Streamers

I also like Spinoso as well but he has to cut down on low percentage passes, especially when they are unforced.

Not sure yet what to make of Mosh. He is active out on the court but doesn't seem to be able to finish plays.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-16-21 10:41 AM - Post#328612    
    In response to penn nation

I’ve been reluctant to comment on this group since the performance has been so different against the different level of opponents. Obviously things looked more promising against Bucknell. Maybe we’ll learn more tonight. It’s a steep uphill climb from the FSU game .

I’m looking for continued improvement in Jelani’s play and a return to form from Jonah Charles.

Dingle can obviously play, Slachert should continue to contribute and, like others, I think a healthy Max Martz would help.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
11-16-21 11:19 AM - Post#328614    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Did you notice that Florida State got the crud kicked out of them by Florida? In other words, we got crushed by a team that’s not all that good.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-16-21 11:56 AM - Post#328616    
    In response to 10Q

I think we should avoid reading too much into individual matchups like that. The Yale team that played UMass would have killed the Penn team that played FSU. But the Yale team that played Seton Hall would not. Dartmouth also had very uneven performance between two games.

If we play like we did against FSU, yes, it will be a long season. But it was one game. The more we play, the more we’ll know.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
11-16-21 12:18 PM - Post#328618    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
I’ve been reluctant to comment on this group since the performance has been so different against the different level of opponents. Obviously things looked more promising against Bucknell. Maybe we’ll learn more tonight. It’s a steep uphill climb from the FSU game.

In other words, you don't enjoy overreactions as much as we do ;-)

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Bucknell
11-16-21 12:34 PM - Post#328619    
    In response to Streamers

I have concerns about the bigs. MLL plays tentative, maybe he has to so he can avoid fouling out. Spinoso is a turnover machine. Mosh is one strange player - he has some athleticism that is masked because he's not fluid at all with his movement; he also appears to have a decent outside shot. Wang can shoot, but he's lost a significant amount of mobility and that's affecting his game (and now he may be injured?). Martz's return (but who knows with lack of information) should help, as would giving Monroe more minutes.

My expectations for this year are not high. Maybe a middle of the pack finish but not expecting more than that.

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.211 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:57 PM