11-22-21 02:16 PM - Post#329553    
    In response to penn nation

Me too.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-22-21 04:23 PM - Post#329563    
    In response to Streamers

We don’t seem like a team that should be easy to press. When we have Monroe on the floor at the 4, we’ve got 4 ball handlers in the game. We almost always have 3.

FSU did it successfully, but part of that was that we hadn’t yet figured out that we shouldn’t be playing fast. So we were trying to press and run on a team that was far better suited than us to play that way. FSU essentially let us set the pace and tone, and then killed us at it. Only some of our opponents can do that. Even playing 2-3 more top 100 teams, none of the others were suited to press and run.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-22-21 04:58 PM - Post#329565    
    In response to SomeGuy

We have a strange team approach on that. We don't have any pure pure ball handlers except maybe Slajchert (who is still adjusting to NCAA intensity), but neither did most of our recent teams under Donahue. Our teams were able to break the press in past years with the pass (and sometimes some forwards bringing the ball up) rather than a possession PG who could routinely dodge and split the double-teams. Williams has a decent handle, but just doesn't look as comfortable with primary ball handling at full speed. I would say the same with Dingle. He has a pretty good crossover, and relies on that to get through pressure. He isn't someone who seems entirely comfortable backing himself down through pressure defense and keeping super-tight handles. My best guess is that we'll be OK, but it will be nerve wracking sometimes.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-22-21 04:59 PM - Post#329566    
    In response to Penndemonium

I did notice Williams testing ODU as he approached mid-court to see if they were going to double him. Instead of powering through the double, he backed off and made the pass. That worked fine, as ODU didn't overplay the passing lanes.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-22-21 11:12 PM - Post#329596    
    In response to Penndemonium

Florida State absolutely destroying Missouri in a game that looks all too familiar.

This one was over early.

andybech 
Freshman

Reg: 02-15-20
11-23-21 10:34 AM - Post#329605    
    In response to penn nation

We do have tall ballhandlers in the game usually as SomeGuy implied. That can make it easier to break the press even without a ballhandler. Monroe and Williams are ideal for this. Charles is also tall for the 2 in the Ivy plus Dingle obviously.

I still think our bigger problem is creating better shots on offense without a great ballhandler. Defense too of course, but the hope there is that the team defense improves enough to overcome the individual weaknesses.

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.294 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:31 PM