Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Fairleigh Dickinson        (Topic#25665)
Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
11-28-21 09:47 AM - Post#329909    

Opens Princeton -15 1/2 O/U 141 1/2

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Fairleigh Dickinson
11-28-21 12:04 PM - Post#329921    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

Spread seems way too high as FDU lost by 13 pts to St. John's and 8 pts to NJIT. Hopefully, Tosan is playing as FDU does not have a lot of height.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-28-21 06:54 PM - Post#330031    
    In response to bradley

That was an up and down game and fortunately, Tosan played. Wright has taken his game to a new level and Langborg continues to improve.

There are still significant issues including the offensive play of Friberg and the defensive play of several guards.

Game could have been a far more comfortable win but a win is a win.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Fairleigh Dickinson
11-28-21 06:57 PM - Post#330034    
    In response to bradley

This game was turning into a carbon copy of the Monmouth game despite the Hawks being much better than FDU. But this time, we had Tosan back to stop the bleeding! Ethan Wright had another amazing game, but it's so clear how the team's success boils down to Tosan Evbuomwan.

Like most teams, our defense suffers when the offense goes cold. It's hard to keep up defensive intensity when you go 4+ minutes without a bucket. And that's where Tosan comes in. When the offense grinds to a halt? Dump it into Tosan to get you layups/FTs. Jaelin struggling? Let Tosan find the open man.

Playing through Tosan also SLOWS the game down, reducing possessions and increasing fouls, thereby stopping the other team's momentum. The Monmouth game is even more of a bummer now... if only we could have played with Tosan in the lineup.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-28-21 07:36 PM - Post#330050    
    In response to gokinsmen

I enjoyed watching the team play. Lots of hustle and good ball movement on offense. However, it was annoying how we allowed FDU to hang around by not guarding the 3 pt line — especially after they started to hit buckets with some consistency. It appears that we have good team chemistry, a good balance of skills and some promising young talent on the bench. All in all, things appear better than I expected for this season. Monmouth was a disappointment. But I think that with Tosan it would have had a different outcome.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
11-28-21 08:15 PM - Post#330054    
    In response to Tiger69

For a while there, I thought I was watching Desmond Cambridge III.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-28-21 08:50 PM - Post#330059    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

You can watch his brother Devan at Auburn

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
11-28-21 08:53 PM - Post#330060    
    In response to Old Bear

Any double-digit win where the other team goes 13-24 from three is a solid win

bradley 
PhD Student

11-29-21 06:20 PM - Post#330139    
    In response to whitakk

Watched the replay. Wright and Tosan had a remarkably good second half against FDU. Langborg played very well -- Jaielin played low key as there was no need for him to take over.

Over the 1st 7 games, Wright-Tosan-Jaelin with strong support from Langborg have played well. If there was a 7 game MVP, it would be Wright or Tosan. Wright and Langborg have probably been the biggest surprises as to quality of play. Friberg's shooting has been the biggest disappointment and everyone else has been role players with plusses and minusses. It does not appear that Jaelin will be the league's MNP as he still has difficulty with his 3 pt shot.

The schedule has been not very strong which has helped and it would be surprising if any of the 7 teams other than Monmouth and possibly South Carolina or Minnesota have competitive seasons.

To take it up another level, probably requires either Kellman or Hicks to take it up to another level along with Friberg getting back his shooting stroke.

It does not appear that any IL team will be dominant but most teams seem competitive. Question might be will the Tigers, Harvard or Yale step up to another level or if one of the other teams surprise which is a possibility.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Fairleigh Dickinson
11-30-21 12:08 AM - Post#330162    
    In response to bradley

It looks like Ivy play is going to be wild. I can see this season turning out like '18-'19 with 1st place at 10-4 and 4th place making the conference tourney at 7-7.

Friberg has been making a lot of good defensive plays in the paint and he's moving well off-ball to get open from 3. The shots just aren't falling yet. Hopefully, he will regress to the mean. Even ~35% from deep will do.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
Fairleigh Dickinson
11-30-21 01:21 AM - Post#330164    
    In response to gokinsmen

I feel pretty confident that Friberg's shooting will come around, the important thing is that he keeps taking them and doesn't lose confidence and keeps taking shots in rhythm. I agree too that his defense has stayed pretty solid throughout. Per Hoop-Explorer Princeton assists on 54% of their FGM when Friberg is on the court compared to 39% when he's off it, which to me suggests the ball moves better with him on the court, even when his shot hasn't been falling.

The last 3 games have been the Tigers' worst defensive games, largely because their opponents have gotten hot from 3. They're still doing a pretty good job of limiting attempts, but some of the closeouts on key shooters in the FDU and Monmouth games were a little slow.

Hofstra will provide another tough test - they're similar to FDU in that they play a lot of guards, but these guards are much better scorers, play better as a team together, and are experienced. The 3pt defense will be tested early and often. It's definitely the toughest non-conference game left.

Separately and I know it's very early on, but I'm ready to start the Ethan Wright POY campaign. He's just been incredible this season, I really enjoy watching him play

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-30-21 04:41 AM - Post#330165    
    In response to welcometothejungle

The 3-point problem against FDU I think is a side-effect of lots of our perimeter defenders not being able to stop their man from driving, leading them to back off and give a cushion. It certainly hasn't been the case that the opposition is exploiting rotating help defenders for kick-outs--there hasn't been much help and the opponents don't have that many assists.

When you are having troubles against dribble penetration in your man defense, you have to think hard about whether it would be easier for a weak-side defender to split the difference between watching his guy on the perimeter and sagging in, or easier for the on-ball defender to play back and thens close out. So far, the Tigers have mostly been doing the latter, and it hasn't been that pretty.

I still think this team needs to be more disruptive defensively in terms of ball pressure, double teams, going for deflections and steals, etc. They're giving up easy shots now and I don't think it would get much worse if a few gambles didn't work out.

Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
11-30-21 03:59 PM - Post#330195    
    In response to SRP

Agreed Friberg has been good on D, but he's not really making a lot of impact--he was an offensive cipher against FDU.

It would not shock me to see Langborg start and Friberg be the 6th man come league play.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-30-21 08:35 PM - Post#330208    
    In response to Tiger84

This team needs more stops more than it does more scoring. Friberg helps a little bit there. But I do love Langborg's offensive game and enjoy watching him out there. Some of his off-ball cuts and all of his shots, even the ones that miss, are pleasing to the eye.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Fairleigh Dickinson
11-30-21 09:21 PM - Post#330212    
    In response to SRP

To be sure, our defensive prowess in the first 5 games involved daring the other team to shoot 3s. Against poor/mediocre shooting teams, it worked out great (South Carolina). Against Monmouth and even FDU, we got burned.

As mentioned, Hofstra is a very good and high volume 3pt shooting team. I guess we'll see how much the team learned from the past 2 games. Mitch knows his Xs-and-Os as well as anyone, so I expect to see at least some improvement tomorrow.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.167 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:47 AM