Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Quinnipiac        (Topic#25670)
JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
11-28-21 07:30 PM - Post#330049    

Lily, Jr put Brown on his back in second half by scoring 24 points and playing very assertive. Hit 4 of 8 from 3, along with 7-11 on FG, 6-7 FT, 3 Reb, 2 AST, & 2 Stls. Just an assume effort. Team hit 11-29 on threes for 37.9%. But without Lilys’ effort, I don’t think we win the game. Let hope we see more of that effort from the young man.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Quinnipiac
11-28-21 09:48 PM - Post#330064    
    In response to JBears

I agree. To me the offense still didn’t look real good. Lilly looked good. This team has done a good job protecting the ball this year but it’s amazing we won giving up an incredible 24 TOs. It got Friday benched down the stretch. But Choh still having trouble holding on as well. His head seems to be moving just a touch faster than his body. Still not fully in synch but has looked better each game.

Huge game from the bigs with double doubles, great defense once again, controlled the boards once again. Those are legitimate reasons enough to warrant the win. But there aren’t enough superlatives to describe Lilly’s 24 point 2nd half. JB is right - it’s a completely different game without Lilly putting up an incredible performance, and credit the offense for getting the ball into his hands. And Mitchell adding that kind of offense was big.

My favorite moment in the game was toward the end when Wojcik dished to Gainey for the breakaway slam. Here’s a kid who is struggling from deep, needs a bucket, he has a wide open breakaway - and he gives it to his big man. Wojcik is too good to go on this way for much longer. Feels like he just needs a change of pace.

I think we need more than 10 minutes for Nana. With Choh’s return he’s the one who has lost the most time. Gotta find reasons for him to be out there.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

JBears 
Senior

Quinnipiac
11-29-21 07:31 AM - Post#330077    
    In response to Bruno

The Bears could use a true point guard. A floor general who helps create the proper flow and sets up others. Short of that, there has to be more ball movement. The offense bogs down with too many one-on-one efforts. Pass, pass, pass. Make the defense move. That creates openings in the D and allows for better opportunities. And it’s much more aesthetically pleasing to watch.

The is still room for athleticism. But it brief bursts to shake a defender. Lily Jr maximized modest efforts to create opportini

Edited by JBears on 11-29-21 07:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JBears 
Senior

11-29-21 08:16 AM - Post#330080    
    In response to JBears

Where was I…. create opportunities. Lily made two beautiful step back 3’s from the top of the key. Feigned a drive to freeze the defender, then “stepped back”, set his base, and hit the shot. He looked like Jayson Tatum of the Celtics. He also hit a baseline jumper when he head faked a shot to get the defender off his feet, then put the ball on the floor with one dribble to move by him and went up strong and took the shot.

The defense and rebounding is consistently strong. Create more movement on offense and take care of the basketball. This hard working team will continue to improve.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Quinnipiac
11-29-21 08:17 PM - Post#330147    
    In response to JBears

I’ve evolved my thinking on how offenses are supposed to work in today’s game. I’ve always had a bias towards a motion offense where most buckets are the result of assists. Reality is that’s a very 1980s way of looking at it. Creating for yourself is a legitimate tool in an offense - and once Lilly got the ball, he did a fair amount of that last night. It’s those 6 assists games that bother me. Or when only 40 pct of your scores are coming from assists. That’s not enough.

There are ball stoppers in this offense. But I’ve also seen them share the ball. I agree they could do more of it on the perimeter. But I love it when they are driving it towards the basket. Friday, Choh, Wojcik and Nana all do that a fair amount, as does Lilly. And when Meren and Cooley are in there, they do that as well. That’s an asset they need to balance with moving it around the perimeter. (Says the former early 90s HS player.)
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.185 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:47 AM