Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Username Post: Nova        (Topic#25672)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
12-03-21 06:02 PM - Post#330524    
    In response to palestra38

Ethyn Brown was on an official for the Nova game. I see we just offered him. He’s a 6’2” guard from Illinois, prepping in NC

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-03-21 07:49 PM - Post#330530    

Nah, Princeton's team is almost all new and that has no affect, they are 20th and we went from top 10 every year to 145th. It's not about "learning to play together".

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Nova
12-03-21 08:22 PM - Post#330531    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
Wang has always been a set shot (no/little jump) shooter from outside.

A defensive stat I have noticed is oppononents assisted FG%. In the past we have been top 10 in the country in that stat (18,19 and 20) and it has been a point of emphasis by SD and the staff. That is, stay on your guy, don't double and make people make shots over you by staying in front of people without fouling. This year we are 146th in that statistic, giving up almost as many assisted baskets as we are making. The only other team that has played similar to that in the Ivy's is Princeton (they don't double, stay in front and avoid assisted baskets against) ranking in the top 20 over the same period as us. Princeton is #20 again this year in that stat.

That's a pretty dramatic shift from a point of emphasis in the past. I am not sure if its because of a strategy shift or a talent shift.

I’d guess talent, with no consistent shotblocking presence on the back line to increase the difficulty level of the 2-pt. shots we allow. We had 4-years of A.J. as a help defender in the paint and the team defense was built around that.

MLL was supposed to be that guy this year, but we’ve barely gotten 100 minutes of play out of him so far.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 12-03-21 08:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

12-03-21 08:38 PM - Post#330532    
    In response to PennFan10

Our schedule has a LOT to do with this. In fact, it probably has everything to do with it. You cannot look at this roster and say there is no talent. Combination of lack of experience and injury as well.

We'll be fine if we get back at least one center before league play starts.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
12-04-21 12:07 AM - Post#330540    

• palestra38 Said:
Our schedule has a LOT to do with this. In fact, it probably has everything to do with it. You cannot look at this roster and say there is no talent. Combination of lack of experience and injury as well.

I do so enjoy when P38 and I agree.

True or false:

1) Can Jordan create his own shot at the same level or better than any other Ivy Leaguer? I say TRUE.

2) Is Jonah with an open look at a 3-pointer = a lay up? I say TRUE.

3) Is Clark money with his tear drop? I say TRUE.

4) Is Lucas an underappreciated talent? I say TRUE.

5) Are Max, Jalani, Bryce, Michael, and et. al. as good or better than most other Ivy Leaguers? I say TRUE.

I understand that we will find out soon enough...

P38... Do you agree with me that the current Penn roster has the talent to finish in the top 4 in the Ivy League and has a legitimate shot at winning the Ivy League Tourney?

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
12-04-21 01:26 AM - Post#330542    
    In response to Cvonvorys

We have no post defense without Max and we have only nominal post offense with Spinoso. They are not interchangeable and having only one or the other is not a winning formula, unless one or both of them shows dramatic improvement on the end of the floor where they’re weakest.

Wang is a lost cause in the post on either end. We just need some jumpers from him on O.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-04-21 02:36 AM - Post#330544    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Princeton's vanilla defense (accurately described above) may be reducing the number of assisted baskets against, but it is allowing a scary number of straight line drives to the hoop, as well as open treys when the perimeter defenders sag to avoid getting blown by. Weak-side help hasn't been a thing, either, most of the time. The best periods for PU have been when they apply ball pressure and force turnovers and out-of-rhythm shots.

Quake Show 
Junior

Reg: 03-04-20
12-04-21 05:33 AM - Post#330545    
    In response to SRP

https://www.thedp.com/article/2021/12/penn- mens-ba...

Sounds like we won’t get either Spinoso or MLL for the rest of the year.

What’s the plan? Mosh simply cannot play the five. He’s not big or talented enough to be a rim protector or crash the boards. Larson? Has seen five garbage time minutes this year with no impact. Wang? Turnstile defense. Like it or not nearly every Ivy team has a big that will kill us inside given our current situation.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-04-21 08:43 AM - Post#330547    
    In response to Quake Show

Who are these Ivy bigs who will kill us? Right now, Harvard doesn’t play anyone above 6’6. Their center shoots about as many 3s as 2s (and not a lot of either). Yale’s center is a little taller, but similar — he’s basically a wing forced to play center. Princeton’s current starting center is the best of the group offensively, but he’s more of a physical match for Martz and Monroe anyway — a 6’7 guy who likes to get the ball facing the basket. Basically a power forward.

Cornell’s Dickson is playing well and is more of an inside presence. But Mosh will be taller than him. The only team that really has a big anything like the Ivy bigs from 2019-20 is Brown, with Gainey, but he is more defender than post scorer, too.

Regardless, though, I think you guys are underestimating Mosh as a defender. I actually think he is our best post defender even when everyone else is healthy. But, like a number of our players in recent years, defending and rebounding seem to be an either/or proposition. And of course finishing seems to be an issue as well. But I like all of the other stuff he brings to the table.

Condor 
PhD Student

12-04-21 10:14 AM - Post#330551    
    In response to SomeGuy

I concur with SomeGuy. I will add that Mosh, at 23, has a more mature body and is “somewhat bulky” in Ivy terms. I also expect him to improve at finishing his shots against less athletic players. Hopefully, we will get Spinoso and/or MLL back for all, or at least most, of the Ivy season, but that is more about depth than about Mosh's ability. In the meantime, we have four more challenging games to measure this team before the league starts. I am not disappointed by the early results.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-04-21 04:10 PM - Post#330566    
    In response to Condor

• Condor Said:
I concur with SomeGuy. I will add that Mosh, at 23, has a more mature body and is “somewhat bulky” in Ivy terms. I also expect him to improve at finishing his shots against less athletic players. Hopefully, we will get Spinoso and/or MLL back for all, or at least most, of the Ivy season, but that is more about depth than about Mosh's ability. In the meantime, we have four more challenging games to measure this team before the league starts. I am not disappointed by the early results.

Not sure I agree but I’m certainly willing to learn something this afternoon.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-04-21 05:19 PM - Post#330573    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
Ethyn Brown was on an official for the Nova game. I see we just offered him. He’s a 6’2” guard from Illinois, prepping in NC

Hadn’t heard his name before. Looks like his offers are Penn and Southeast Missouri State (whatever that is?)…

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
12-04-21 05:23 PM - Post#330574    

What do you consider fine? Another 7-7 Ivy season?

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
12-04-21 05:35 PM - Post#330580    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
  • Condor Said:

Not sure I agree but I’m certainly willing to learn something this afternoon.

Yeah… guys, I’m going to share an unpopular opinion based on general temperature here and various moral victory mentions.

Without injuries our true big rotation would be MLL, Spinoso, Wang (post serious injury and surgeries) and Mosh. Would anyone here actually pick that rotation as an Ivy winning big rotation?

After injuries, our starting center is a junior college transfer that Columbia passed on, really let that sink in… I’m sure a great kid and would be perfect for spot minutes, but starting?

I really like our guards and wings offensively, and I think their D could be improved because it really is team D lacking. The problem isn’t “Dingle shooting too much” or anything like that, it’s team structure and that comes down to recruiting or lack there of. It’s criminal of the coaching staff that we haven’t built enough on top of the Dingle, Martz, Charles, MLL class with not one but two recruiting classes.

For 2022 it seems like we have one last top target for bigs right? I sure hope we can get him or we risk wasting more years from kids like Dingle and Martz who even took off a year to be able to play for Penn.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-04-21 05:52 PM - Post#330585    
    In response to Mike Porter

Question to me still is — who has an Ivy League winning front court? Harvard played the majority of the game today against UMass with 5 guards. The whole league is dealing with the same thing.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
12-04-21 05:54 PM - Post#330586    
    In response to Cvonvorys

I like our team, and am not trying to criticize them to in saying that I don't think your questions are the right ones. Here are the ones that matter:

1) Do we have more than one first/second All-Ivy calibre player for this year? NOT YET

Will Dingle be unstoppable in the Ivies when teams focus on him? MAYBE.

2) Does Penn have more than one go-to player to get a good shot in a clutch moment: NOT YET, BUT HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL STEP UP TO HELP DINGLE. MAYBE MARTZ. CHARLES IN FUTURE YEARS.

3) Does Penn have top 2 team defense in the league? I'M GOING TO LEAN TOWARDS NO, THOUGH THEY ARE PRETTY GOOD ON THAT FRONT.

4) Do we have other intangibles? WE COMPETE FOR A FULL GAME, BUT SEEM TO STILL BE ASSEMBLING THE TEAM DYNAMICS.

5) Is our bench a game-winning difference maker? PROBABLY NOT AFTER OUR RUN OF FRONT LINE INJURIES.

I like our team, and will hope for the best. They have talent that stacks up well against our recent teams. The league seems to be playing very well, though, and we don't have Brodeur and Betley reliability from our best players yet. I like the design of our offense and defense, but I don't love the execution right now. They play hard, compete well, and have pretty strong athletes.

Based on the above, I think we will compete with everyone and dominate no one. This season will hinge on their mental toughness. This will be an interesting league season!

• Cvonvorys Said:
  • palestra38 Said:

I do so enjoy when P38 and I agree.

True or false:

1) Can Jordan create his own shot at the same level or better than any other Ivy Leaguer? I say TRUE.

2) Is Jonah with an open look at a 3-pointer = a lay up? I say TRUE.

3) Is Clark money with his tear drop? I say TRUE.

4) Is Lucas an underappreciated talent? I say TRUE.

5) Are Max, Jalani, Bryce, Michael, and et. al. as good or better than most other Ivy Leaguers? I say TRUE.

I understand that we will find out soon enough...

P38... Do you agree with me that the current Penn roster has the talent to finish in the top 4 in the Ivy League and has a legitimate shot at winning the Ivy League Tourney?

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-04-21 06:25 PM - Post#330593    
    In response to Penndemonium

FWIW, according to kenpom, we rank 7th in the league in defense, and 3rd in offense.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-04-21 07:53 PM - Post#330634    
    In response to SomeGuy

Harvard has an Ivy winning front court. They will have some of them back by the time the league starts.

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.164 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:11 PM