Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Great Chaney Quote        (Topic#257)
Quaker Fan 
maximus

Reg: 11-23-04
12-15-04 01:45 PM - Post#1261    

In the article link BB-U posted above John Chaney had a great quote on playing both Penn and Priceton this year, "Now we have to play another Pennsylvania again, darn it!" Chaney said earlier this week. "If we get past them (Princeton), then we're going to roll. Duke and everyone else [on Temple's schedule] is going to get it."

So he sees the two Ps as a great experence in playing smart b-ball - is he hyping? - or being respectful after Penn should have won last week? - or maybe a bit of both...

In any case is was great to once again see the Hall of Famer v. the future Hall of Famer in a close, battle it out, contest where Temple and Chaney have dominated Penn and Dunphy (they even swept us during the Allen/Maloney years - of course that took the Eddie Jones/Aaron Mckie combo to do that - imagine that - 4 future NBAers playing on the floor of the Palestra in a Big 5 game - what great games they were)

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Great Chaney Quote
12-15-04 02:30 PM - Post#1262    
    In response to Quaker Fan

From what I've seen of Temple both in person and on T.V., they seem to have the most trouble with teams that play smart, controlled, patient basketball. Teams that look for the good shot and work the ball through/around the zone play them tough. Teams like Wake that aren't quite as controlled and relied more on athletic ability have much more trouble than they should.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

12-15-04 05:34 PM - Post#1263    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Temple too has a very complex and hard to handle D - so they cauase a lot of teams problems - when executed properly, thier matchup zone is wicked and it looks like this year they have guys that can execute it - look for them to pull some upsets and go deep in the tourney - Chaney is not done by any strech - he is still recruiting (just got a big man from Spain to sign up based on the Argentinian PepeSanchez Olympic Gold connection) and coaching like he did 15 years ago - you have to love the the guy

Anonymous 

12-16-04 01:20 PM - Post#1264    

Are my eyes deceiving me or did the first poster in this thread call Fran Dunphy "a future Hall of Famer"?

A good coach, yes. A Hall of Famer? Please provide justification. Thank you.

Just as a starting point, Dunphy had 270 career wins before this year, having averaged 18 wins per season. At that rate, he'd have to coach another 13 years to get to 500 and even be considered for the Hall. (Can you think of a college coach inducted in the last 20 or 30 years who didn't win at least 500 games? I can't.) That would take him to about age 70.

Anonymous 

12-16-04 02:24 PM - Post#1265    
    In response to

Well, he didn't specify WHICH Hall of Fame Dunphy would be in, so maybe he meant the Big 5 Hall of Fame.....yeah, that's the ticket.

Seriously, good point. I doubt Dunphy will ever make the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

12-16-04 05:02 PM - Post#1266    
    In response to

Dunph has stated he would like to do 10 or 15 more years at Penn - at 20 wins per year - and as a respected coach - he has a good chance to break 500 wins - and your average includes his earlier years - so the recent average maybe a bit higher - so we will just have to see

Some NCAA tourney wins would be helpful too...

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

12-16-04 05:09 PM - Post#1267    

I'm sorry, but unless things change, Fran Dunphy is not a hall of fame coach. 500 wins, one tourney win, and one ranking (#25) if 25 years are not Hall of Fame numbers.

Anonymous 

12-16-04 05:30 PM - Post#1268    

I think he will get close to 500 wins if he coaches to age 70 (you may be a tad generous assuming a 20-win average over the next 15 years), but even then he'd need more. Perhaps some more tourney wins, a few top 20 rankings, and (dare I say it) an NIT title.

Go to www.hoophall.com and check out the coaches. Many of them have 600 wins, actually.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

12-16-04 06:17 PM - Post#1269    

Actually, Penn has been ranked a number of times during the Dunph period including as high as #21 (Maloney Allen Senior year)

You guys seem to want to seek reasons to say he is no good - yet he is very respected in the profession - he is offered all sorts of jobs when he makes it clear he wants to stay at Penn - quite luckily for him and me - you don't get a vote

Quaker Fan 
maximus

12-16-04 06:40 PM - Post#1270    
    In response to

For a coach that has averaged 18 wins over his time - with a couple of weak early years - 20 wins per year is not unreasonable - two years ago was considered a bad year and Penn won 17 games...at 20 win/yr it will take 11.5 years to hit 500 wins and 16.5 years for 600 wins

Anonymous 

12-16-04 07:10 PM - Post#1271    

I think he meant final season rankings.

Dunphy is a good coach. Actually he is a very good coach. He's just not going to the Hall of Fame, and let me tell you something else, Quaker Fan: I will eat my hat if he retires with 600 wins.

Anonymous 

12-16-04 07:11 PM - Post#1272    

Hey guys....I don't think our friend from Old Nassau is saying that Dunphy is a bad coach or overrated....rather, he is accurately stating that it is unlikely that Fran will make the Hall of Fame. There are few Princeton fans who disparage Dunphy. I wish that were true for all the Penn fans here.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

12-16-04 07:57 PM - Post#1273    
    In response to

Maybe they just see him less than we do :-)

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

12-16-04 08:18 PM - Post#1274    
    In response to

No need to get an edible hat.

We can argue on this board about coaching strategy, playing time, how good Penn could be, whether the team underachieves or overachieves and all that stuff, but I would be STUNNED, SHOCKED and FLABBERGASTED if Fran is coaching Penn when he is 70 years old, or 65 years old for that matter - maybe even 60 years old.

After a couple more titles, maybe after 20 years at Penn, I think he'll be beating the stuffing out of golfing retirees down south or in sunny California for a good chunk of the year.

But when Paul Rubincam retires I think it would be great if Fran became the head of the Big Five.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

12-17-04 03:50 AM - Post#1275    
    In response to

On final season rankings the gentleman is correct

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.229 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:53 PM