Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: City Papers (Bandwagon Alert!)        (Topic#258)
Anonymous 

12-15-04 02:34 PM - Post#1276    

Articles in both the Times and Post today. Great pub for this team. Let's hope that we can be competitive in our next three games (and win at least two!) or the NYC dailies will jump ship...

In all honesty, of all the games coming up in December, the game on the 30th is our best bet. But Hofstra isn't invincible.

I like starting Mack Montgomery in a 3-forward lineup with Dragu and Matt... Hofstra doesn't have anyone bigger than 6-9 and their best player (Stokes) is a 6-3 swingman.

NC State has some real bulk, but it's unlikely that Land, Baron or Nwachukwu could be the answer in that game, should we shock the world.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: City Papers (Bandwagon Alert!)
12-15-04 08:12 PM - Post#1277    
    In response to

Is anybody else annoyed at the 'tradtion of losing' theme in these articles?

Columbia had one fantastically, historically bad year. But saying the basketball program has a tradition of being the doormat of the league is wrong. Columbia has a winning record all-time against every ivy that's north of them (ie not Penn/Princeton).

Football- different story (unfortunately). But Columbia basketball has traditionally been decent, if not particularly dominant. before the 0-14 season, the team went 7-7 in the previous two. That mediocrity is more in line with the past performance.

Anonymous 

Re: City Papers (Bandwagon Alert!)
12-15-04 09:25 PM - Post#1278    
    In response to light blue heavy

Quote:

Is anybody else annoyed at the 'tradtion of losing' theme in these articles?

Columbia had one fantastically, historically bad year. But saying the basketball program has a tradition of being the doormat of the league is wrong. Columbia has a winning record all-time against every ivy that's north of them (ie not Penn/Princeton).

Well, let's be realistic...how many winning seasons has CU had since Penders left? 3 or 4? That's 25 years of a lot of losing. Talking about 'all time' records against opponents is very misleading. I think 25 years is long enough to qualify as a tradition and we shouldn't reach back to the Byrd or Jimmy Mac days to try and hide what's gone on.

It's going to take more than one good year to put all that behind the program. I think Joe Jones can do that...I just hope there's a way to keep him around long enough that there's an enduring change...maybe 4 or 5 years.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.187 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:55 PM